Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #286
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
YAY! Just got my reader in the mail. Pleasantly surprised to find the latest firmware version already installed- version 1.0.03.07170. And already fully charged! Hopefully they'll release a Mac compatible version of Connect before the next revision. Is it my imagination or is the screen even whiter than I remember from Best Buy? Looks like they've sold over 63,600 of them judging by my serial number- has the screens improved over time? Now to fire up libprs500 and start loading some content!
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #287
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
That's odd. I got mine today but it did not have the latest firmware. My serial number is about 550 lower than yours.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #288
lj69
lj69 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilarney View Post
That's odd. I got mine today but it did not have the latest firmware. My serial number is about 550 lower than yours.
just connect your device and i automatic update if you have internet
lj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #289
Kilarney
Connoisseur

I did that right away. I was just commenting that it didn't come with the latest firmware pre-installed.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #290
Kilarney
Connoisseur

One quick newbie question...

If I purchase a book from the Connect bookstore, and later delete it, do I have to purchase it again to put it back on my Reader?
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #291
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
No. If you delete it from the Reader, it will still be in your library.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #292
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It'll still be on your purchased list at the ConnStore too. So long as that's available, anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #293
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
So I'm finally taking the plunge

I applied for the CC last night. We (the wife and I) weren't aware it was 0% APR for the first year. That works out well since we're about to finish our basement. Now I'll actually keep the card for a while beyond getting the Reader.

So, with the current wait times, I guess I have about 6 weeks until said Reader arrives? 2 for the card, then another month for the reader?

I also just saw the 505 is out, but is it Viziplex? I haven't seen anything saying it is yet, but I also haven't looked too hard. I contemplated waiting a bit longer for it, but there's still no mention of direct HTML support, so I figured that I'll spend the $50 now, and get more fully-featured model with a hopefully larger-resolution screen down the road.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #294
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogo View Post
I applied for the CC last night. ... So, with the current wait times, I guess I have about 6 weeks until said Reader arrives? 2 for the card, then another month for the reader?

I also just saw the 505 is out, but is it Viziplex? I haven't seen anything saying it is yet, but I also haven't looked too hard. I contemplated waiting a bit longer for it, but there's still no mention of direct HTML support, so I figured that I'll spend the $50 now, and get more fully-featured model with a hopefully larger-resolution screen down the road.
For me, it took about a week for the CC, and just under 3 weeks for the reader.

Speculation here is that the 505 WILL be Viziplex, but that Sony doesn't believe most potential customers know enough about the technology to appreciate what this means to them.

(Hint to Sony: This question KEEPS coming up regarding the 505 reader. We're aware that the 505 was leaked, not officially announced. When you do announce it officially, realize that a significant number of techie types really DO want to know about the new screen...)

Phrodod
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #295
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Aaaannnnndd....it's ordered.

So now the waiting begins.

After hearing about possible issues with the screen (lines, etc) I was looking for a place to get extended protection on it, but didn't see anything for it. Bummer. I wonder if the card has an built-in protections.

Ah well, fingers crossed.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #296
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrodod View Post
(Hint to Sony: This question KEEPS coming up regarding the 505 reader. We're aware that the 505 was leaked, not officially announced. When you do announce it officially, realize that a significant number of techie types really DO want to know about the new screen...)
I'm curious to know what difference it makes whether or not it has a VizPlex screen? Is a marginal increase in contrast and faster refresh times really going to influence your decision about whether or not to buy a machine? For me personally, things like the "form factor" of the Reader, and what formats are supported by it are what influence my choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #297
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious to know what difference it makes whether or not it has a VizPlex screen? Is a marginal increase in contrast and faster refresh times really going to influence your decision about whether or not to buy a machine? For me personally, things like the "form factor" of the Reader, and what formats are supported by it are what influence my choice.
Given that the 505 may be out in October sometime, may have the new Vizplex screen, and more internal memory and a new design and is only $20 more then the 500, I'd wait and see.

I'm also waiting to receive my credit card so I can order another 500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #298
phrodod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I personally won't be replacing mine any time soon, but the fact that speculation is running rampant here means that there are some who care.

I WOULD appreciate being able to navigate more quickly when I know precisely where I want to go. If I'm in one book in a section found through the TOC, and the book was found in the Books menu, and I have a bookmark in another book that I'd like to go through, I have to a) go back up through three menus to get back to the main menu or b) hold down the menu key for 5 seconds. It turns out to be about a wash which I do time-wise. Then, I can finally navigate through the "all bookmarks" link.

Any time I forget to put a bookmark in before I switch books, I really get annoyed by the screen refresh time. Otherwise, it really doesn't bother me.

Phrodod
Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #299
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because the Reader is out of stock, you cannot get it via the Sony Rewards website. You'll need to call them and talk to someone. I just got my card today and I called and should be getting a call back on Monday or Tuesday about this so they can take my order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #300
phrodod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because the Reader is out of stock, you cannot get it via the Sony Rewards website. You'll need to call them and talk to someone. I just got my card today and I called and should be getting a call back on Monday or Tuesday about this so they can take my order.
So what are they offering to the people who ordered the CC based on the offer? PRS-505? Please let us know what they tell you!