Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
Free simple audiobooks (help needed)

Hi there,

I would have a request: since English is not my first language I would like to practise my listening skills, more specifically I'm looking for some audiobooks to listen while I'm driving. As listening while driving it's not trivial due to external noise and several distractions I'm looking for something pretty simple.

The ideal audiobook is something quite short and with a not-too-much-rich vocabulary. The story is not very important, even a book targeted to young teen (goosebumps series, little prince, ...) is absolutely fine.

Since this thing is just an experiment and I have very few constraints on what I'm looking for, I would prefer free resources.

So...if you want to suggest one (ore more) specific audiobook it's perfect, if all you have is a good site free audiobooks it's better than nothing. If you have ideas or criticism about this method to learn I will very happy to read them.

Thanks to read and thanks for your help.

p.s.: I apologize if this is the wrong section of the forum to ask this kind of questions
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Try Agatha Christie stories - I read them in other languages to practice as the vocabulary is fairly simple, so the English should not be too difficult to follow.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Librivox is a project for free audiobooks read by human volunteers from public domain texts.

The quality of the voices vary, but the best thing about it is that you can look at the source text over at Project Gutenberg first, to see if the vocabulary/complexity suits you, and then download the audiofile to accompany it. When you're not driving, you can read-along as you listen, or maybe just check the text after listening to see how much you understood.

They've got a range of material: fiction, non-fiction, essays, short stories, children's, plays; should be plenty of stuff to provide a good variety of practice listening.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I read them in other languages to practice
I read them in ancient languages using braille while having bandaids on my fingertips!

Seriously though, you might want to try some of the books written for youth. Harry Potter comes to mind.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Seriously though, you might want to try some of the books written for youth. Harry Potter comes to mind.
I have already tried with the little magician's story but it's too hard for me for now. I prefer something where I understand almost every phrase meaning and 90% of the words.
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert