Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Michele14150
Michele14150 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Sending ebooks from Kindle to Calibre?

It's easy to send books downloaded from Project Gutenberg or other web sites to Calibre and then send them to my Kindle 3. But, when I use Amazon's "one click Whisperjet" to send ebooks directly to my Kindle -- especially when I am away from my home computer -- how do I later add them to my Calibre library so that they appear in the main library window with a green check mark that indicates each book is in the main library of the device. Do I add books from a directory (and the directory I choose would be the Kindle)? I've been able to get the books to show up on Calibre as in the main library of the device, but I have to send the book to the device (even though it's already on it) and wind up with two copies of the book on the Kindle. Other than this one thing that has me confused, Calibre works great! Advice please!
Michele14150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Right-click on the book in the device view and choose 'add book to library'.

If you send the book again from calibre to the device, you will likely end up with another copy. This happens because calibre uses the 'save template' to determine the file name of the book on the device, and this name will almost certainly be different from the one Amazon gave the book.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Michele14150

Thanks so much for your response! I will try it tonight. But I use a Macintosh computer, so there is no "right click". Sometimes using the control, option or command key in combination with a click does the job on the Mac. I'll let you know if I solve it!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are using the latest release of calibre you can just drag and drop books from the device view onto the calibre icon to add them to your calibre library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Michele14150

Since I am running Mac OS 10.4.11, I was able to install the latest update of Calibre and the drag and drop technique worked like a charm to get my Calibre library to match what was on my Kindle. Problem solved! I appreciate the personalized support from Calibre's creator -- can't ask for better customer service than that! And I will say thanks with a donation.
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Wow ! Learned something new again
Had no idea this was possible.
So in newbie speak:
In Calibre,once your KX is connected, click the arrow on the right of the Device Icon, Choose "Show Book in the Main mem. of your device etc." AND then you can right click and then "add book to library".
You Calibre TEAM guys&girls have surely been busy.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote