Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #586
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Could it have been a short story or novella rather than a full novel?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #587
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Somewhat OT..

I'm trying to remember the name of a British publisher & book collection that was still available maybe 10-15 years ago when I still lived in the UK. I remember owning Charles Dickens's Dombey & Son and possibly J. Austen's Emma and Pride and Prejudice among others. I believe the collection focused mainly on 18th & 19th century novels. The books were hardcovers but they were somewhat smaller than a standard paperback, less tall & more squarish, if you get my meaning. They were very durable and due to their small size, fine print, and the fact that the paper they used was thinner than the usual stuff (although not quite as thin as the one they use for bibles for instance) you could easily stuff one into a jacket's outside pocket, which made them great for travelling or commuting.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if this collection still exists? Now that I live in NY city, I can't just pop into Foyles or the nearest W.H. Smith and have a look or ask questions.

Apologies for the O.T. and if nobody has a clue what I'm talking about.. maybe someone might know of a better place to ask..?

Thanks.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #588
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Sounds like Everyman's Library, which used to be published by J.M. Dent.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #589
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I'm trying to remember the name of a British publisher & book collection that was still available maybe 10-15 years ago when I still lived in the UK. I remember owning Charles Dickens's Dombey & Son and possibly J. Austen's Emma and Pride and Prejudice among others. I believe the collection focused mainly on 18th & 19th century novels. The books were hardcovers but they were somewhat smaller than a standard paperback, less tall & more squarish, if you get my meaning. They were very durable and due to their small size, fine print, and the fact that the paper they used was thinner than the usual stuff (although not quite as thin as the one they use for bibles for instance) you could easily stuff one into a jacket's outside pocket, which made them great for travelling or commuting.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if this collection still exists? Now that I live in NY city, I can't just pop into Foyles or the nearest W.H. Smith and have a look or ask questions.

Apologies for the O.T. and if nobody has a clue what I'm talking about.. maybe someone might know of a better place to ask..?

Thanks.
The books could be Reader's Digest World's Best Reading collection. The amazon link below will let you see if the format is as you remember:

Link to Sense and Sensibility as part of the series

Wikipedia lists 142 titles in the series:

Wikipedia article
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #590
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Sounds like Everyman's Library, which used to be published by J.M. Dent.
Thank you..!

I had a hard time finding this thread again. My intent had been to create a new thread and it appears I clicked the wrong button and managed to hijack an existing thread instead. I'll have to be careful until I am more familiar with the mobile read forums.

J.M. Dent's Everyman Library indeed comes quite close to what I tried to describe... But the current presentation appears to be somewhat fancier than what I had in mind. I do not remember the elegant black & gold stamping on the front and spine, nor the silk ribbon marker.

I do remember that they came with a non-glossy dust cover, usually in some light toned down-color that featured some form of reproduction of a contemporary engraving or etching.

I read the History blurb on the About Everyman's page, and since the collection appears to have been resurrected back in 1991, which would roughly correspond to the correct time frame, and although I am pretty sure the books I mentioned were not bought from a used books store, the volumes I owned might have been somewhat older. For all I know, I could very well have bought them at a discount price from a small book shop getting rid of some stuff they'd had in their shelves for a number of years to make room for more recent offerings.

Older volumes, found via a Google "Images search", some dating back to the 1940's. would in fact appear to come quite close to what I remember.

Not a major issue, in any case...

Incidentally, my interest in such matters was revived while hunting for decent-looking book covers for my own personal "everyman library" consisting mostly of Project Gutenberg downloads.

Thanks,

CJ
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #591
Chris Jones
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
The books could be Reader's Digest World's Best Reading collection. The amazon link below will let you see if the format is as you remember:

Link to Sense and Sensibility as part of the series

Wikipedia lists 142 titles in the series:

Wikipedia article
Ah, very interesting.

While the link you provided shows pictures that are quite different from what I remember, I did find something quite close to what I was trying to describe here:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/623....321434396.jpg

Format, colors, & general style are just about right.. But of course these are not cloth-bound and do not sport dust jackets either. The spine also was more rounded.

But thanks much for this new lead.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #592
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
[...]Incidentally, my interest in such matters was revived while hunting for decent-looking book covers for my own personal "everyman library" consisting mostly of Project Gutenberg downloads.
Don't forget to check out the books available here on MobileRead. Many of them are more carefully assembled e-books than those available on Project Gutenberg. For example I recently read "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" by Jerome K Jerome from the library here, it is a beautifully constructed epub that includes illustrations, and there are other fine examples too.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #593
Chris Jones
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Don't forget to check out the books available here on MobileRead. Many of them are more carefully assembled e-books than those available on Project Gutenberg. For example I recently read "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" by Jerome K Jerome from the library here, it is a beautifully constructed epub that includes illustrations, and there are other fine examples too.
Ah...! Thanks much for the tip. I have already noticed some pretty scary stuff in books I downloaded from PG.. not to mention archive.org or Google books, which believe it or not are even worse.. I have seen some stuff that is pretty much unreadable, where page numbers (!) actually overlay the text.. and this means that before I can read the book, not only should I proofread it.. but I also get to rewrite the .css stuff as well :-)

Heck, I'm not complaining.. but I did get carried away a bit at PG: I now have a calibre library that comprises no less than 5821 "books" in twelve different languages, most of which I can actually read.. with er.. variable fluency. I even managed to download one in Czech somehow.. probably off the Project Gutenberg "Sci-fi CD" collection. Of course, I'm not fluent in any slavonic language, so all I could tell is that it's a one-act play and I think by the gentleman who originally coined the term "robot".

Of course, I'm not planning to read all those books from cover to cover, but I think it's rather nice to have one's own personal (not everyman's) library handy and be able to pick up something or other depending on what mood you're in.

And as yet, I don't even own an e-reader..

OK... better stop bragging, for now.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #594
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I was trying to find a short story (sci fi) that I read a long long time ago. I am guessing based on the kinds of things I was reading at that time that it was Anne McCaffrey or possibly Ray Bradbury although it could have been a random author from an anthology possibly. The story had something to do with a war with the population on Mars (?) and a soldier who was hopelessly jinxed. In the end they decided to send him to live on Mars as the assignment that would give them the biggest benefit in the war effort. It wasn't the best story but I often recall it when my niece breaks yet another piece of electronic equipment seemingly by touching it. I did flip through the Illustrated Man and To Ride Pegasus which were still lurking about what is left of my paper library but didn't see it. It might have been there but it didn't jump out at me if it was.
This story sounds familiar. As I recall the commanding officer says that he would have the man executed only it would probably mean that the whole unit would be wiped out while trying to carry it out. He also estimates that the war should be over within a year of the young soldier landing on the planet. I can't recall the name right offhand though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #595
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Do you recognize this book?

I recently saw a link to a book at amazon that was something about how 12 tv shows changed the way we look at television. I know some of the shows were Buffy, Lost, and Deadwood, but I can't remember the name of the book or where I saw the reference, and googling doesn't help.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #596
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Is it this one?
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #597
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
yes, that's it - thank you!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #598
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I recently saw a link to a book at amazon that was something about how 12 tv shows changed the way we look at television.
Wow. As the only one of these shows I've ever seen is Battlestar Galactica, I guess my TV experience is still the old and boring one. (sorry for offtopic :-)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #599
Dorca
the Just
Dorca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This thread is great!
I'm trying to find two short stories I read when I was a kid, I guess they hail from 50's or 60's, although I read them in early 80's

The first one is a sort of fantasy-there's some kind of long war going on, and one side realised that souls (or life energies or something) of their enemies killed in the war are preserved in some kind of migratory birds so they decide to start killing the birds.

The other one is SF, in which some scinetists and engineers are trying to create a 3D TV. They create images of some very life-like dinosaurs, but when they turn the switch off, dinosaurs don't disappear...
Dorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #600
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Here's one I read as a teenager... I'm guessing it's in the Young Adult genre, probably SF?

Set in a future earth, characters in the books are assigned different jobs after high school. The protagonist gets a job which she? (I think?) thought would be disappointing. What ends up happening is that this character ends up working with a group of maybe a dozen others exploring virtual worlds. They are hooked into a variety of equipment and have to face different challenges in the virtual worlds. They may live in the virtual world for a long time, days perhaps? However, when someone makes a (fatal) mistake, they all wake up. Some examples of such mistakes are eating poisonous berries (they saw birds eating them, so should be alright, right?), falling off a cliff, etc.

In the end they find out that they were part of a secret training project to colonize a distant planet. There were many such groups involved in training and they are all blasted off to a new planet, which has similar environments to their training worlds, but is significantly harsher. The various groups must learn to survive and cooperate with one another. I seem to remember some fighting, eventual peace and propagation of the human race through children.

I'd like to read this again now that I'm an adult and see if it was as good as I remember. Any ideas?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths