Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Irex questions

I need some help. I'm writing a story, and I need to make sure my information is correct.

Did Irex ever follow through on the power management for the DR1000? How did it change the battery life?

Can someone relate their recent experience with customer service or tech support? I want to know if it's improved.

Thanks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Power Management:

There were two power management modes planned. The first is "suspend-to-ram" that is intended for short periods of inactivity. The recovery time is very fast, but it still draws some power to keep the data in memory. The second is "suspend-to-flash" that is intended to replace a shutdown. This is the mode where it goes into basically a "hibernate" state instead of being turned off. It's intended for longer periods of inactivity, but recovery time is slower.

They have implemented the first mode, but not the second in the DR1000. We have yet to see what the DR800 supports.

Customer Support:

Like any other company, you see both good and bad experiences with customer support. I've seen them replace devices that were even out of warranty at no charge because they felt it was a manufacturing fault, which I consider to be outstanding support. I've also seen people complain that they never get any response to inquiries or open tickets, which is obviously really bad.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
They have implemented the first mode, but not the second in the DR1000.
Don't they also have a "shutdown after X hours" capability? This isn't quite the 2nd mode, since boot time is long, but it helps.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Don't they also have a "shutdown after X hours" capability? This isn't quite the 2nd mode, since boot time is long, but it helps.
Yes, they do have that. It's a temporary workaround until they finish the second mode. Once they get the second mode working, then I'm pretty sure the "shutdown after X hours" will become something more like "hibernate after X hours".
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Power Management:
Customer Support:

Like any other company, you see both good and bad experiences with customer support. I've seen them replace devices that were even out of warranty at no charge because they felt it was a manufacturing fault, which I consider to be outstanding support. I've also seen people complain that they never get any response to inquiries or open tickets, which is obviously really bad.
I have seen the design choices that have made it very hard for them NOT to replace devices even when they are out of warranty ....
So no, that's not 'outstanding support' , that's just being nice to Shaggy the iRex-fanboy.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
I have seen the design choices that have made it very hard for them NOT to replace devices even when they are out of warranty ....
You're familiar with the specific cases I was referring to? (Obviously not)