Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
CNET Review

CNET is out with its review of the 300. Overall they liked it and gave it 3 1/2 stars. There is a video review you can watch and it is interesting to see the glare on the 300 and 600 side by side. They clearly point out the adaptability of the 300 for library books.

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...CmoreStories.0
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Review is pretty spot on. I got mine for a present and I'm loving it.

They are right though, $50 less would help sell this, but I guess that's up to Sony.

The video review should have displayed an e-book with a smaller font size, because that is way too big for the PRS-300.

Pretty good if you're cheap, on the go, and like portability. Remember that your ebook font size has to be smaller than the one shown in the video, otherwise it's not going to be easy enjoying this great product.

I just wished that there was a memory stick slot for the Sony PRS-300 so when (and I will, just not anytime soon) I do plan on upgrading to a 6" or hopefully an 8.5" x 11" e-book reader provided by Sony I can just pop over my memory card instead of setting up everything in my computer. I guess Sony forgot to think about that.

Last edited by Loose_Appeal; 09-11-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Review is pretty spot on. I got mine for a present and I'm loving it.

They are right though, $50 less would help sell this, but I guess that's up to Sony.

The video review should have displayed an e-book with a smaller font size, because that is way too big for the PRS-300.

Pretty good if you're cheap, on the go, and like portability. Remember that your ebook font size has to be smaller than the one shown in the video, otherwise it's not going to be easy enjoying this great product.

I just wished that there was a memory stick slot for the Sony PRS-300 so when (and I will, just not anytime soon) I do plan on upgrading to a 6" or hopefully an 8.5" x 11" e-book reader provided by Sony I can just pop over my memory card instead of setting up everything in my computer. I guess Sony forgot to think about that.
I want more features and I want to pay less for them?

The only way Sony could knock the price down to $199 was to drop features like the expansion card. I'm sure in a few months we'll see it discounted somewhat, but probably not a lot.

You can have cheap, or you can have feature-rich, but it's hard to have both. Especially this early in a technology's life cycle.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
ok review. i find it funny how the reviewer considers two weeks on a single charge "decent battery life". i would love to hear what his definition of "great battery life" would be.
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Hello Fellow eReader Enthusiasts

I usually shy away from forums because of all the angry trolls, but I've read a lot on MobileRead over the past few months and everyone seems generally friendly and helpful.

CNET just posted their review of the PRS-600, and it didn't fair too well: http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-33743850.html

I've also got written reviews and video reviews of the PRS-300 and PRS-600 on my ebook reader website if you're interested. And a third video comparing the two.
It's all under http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/sony-reader.html
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I think CNET's review of the 300 is spot-on, for both pluses and minuses. Really nailed it IMO, esp. the last sentence in a nutshell. Heck, they even got the USB wall-charging issue right, and the PSP charger compatibility. (I *really* think Sony should include a PSP data/charger cable instead of the USB cable--it would be a cheap way to have lots of charging options (from any powered USB port) out-of-the-box.)

Again, it was a very accurate review IMO.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Welcome aboard The-eBook-Reader!

I notice your profile says you have the Kindle 3. How do you like it, and where did you get the time machine?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I want more features and I want to pay less for them?

The only way Sony could knock the price down to $199 was to drop features like the expansion card. I'm sure in a few months we'll see it discounted somewhat, but probably not a lot.

You can have cheap, or you can have feature-rich, but it's hard to have both. Especially this early in a technology's life cycle.
Well Astrak's 5" EZ Reader has more features for the same price, what does that say? And if Cnet gives that a better review, what else can Sony do?

Last edited by Loose_Appeal; 09-12-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Welcome aboard The-eBook-Reader!

I notice your profile says you have the Kindle 3. How do you like it, and where did you get the time machine?
The time machine's not working right now, I ran out of flux capacitors, but I'm planning on getting the next Kindle. There's a good chance of its release in the next five months.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Well Astrak's 5" EZ Reader has more features for the same price, what does that say? And if Cnet gives that a better review, what else can Sony do?
In a cheap plastic case.

Like I said, you can have good or you can have cheap. Yes, the prices will come down over time, but right now these are not cheap devices - even the cheapest is still $200, which is not throwaway money for most people.

(Man, I remember when a 4-function calculator cost $250, and now I buy them at the Dollar Tree.)
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote