Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Waiting For Amazon Prices To Fall to 9.99

Like many Kindle owners, I have a list of books I watch which were offered at prices above 9.99. When the price hits, or goes below this figure, I usually snap it up, since folks have noticed a disturbing trend for prices to creep back up again after the initial 9.99 offering.

Would folks be interested in creating a "sticky" post here to announce these price reductions? This would allow us to pool our efforts, increasing the size of the monitored pool.

The benefit of such a post would be this: Every time Amazon drops a book price to 9.99 or lower, there would be a spike (of whatever size depending if the book is in a popular series with many readers or a back catalog item, etc.) of purchases - which could reinforce the message that Kindle readers do have a price ceiling for what they are willing to shell out for ebooks.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
There are several web sites that will monitor book prices and email you when they get to a certain price. I think that would be more useful than scanning through hundreds or thousands of messages to see if a price had gone down. Unless you're going to have one person that updates the list frequently.

Personally, I put them on my Amazon Wish List and go through the one page of books every so often to see if the price has dropped.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
The other thing you can do is pull up best sellers and sort by price. I have read on other threads that sometimes the reduction in price doesn't last. Someone said it had to do with whether the book remained on the bestseller list, but who knows?

Maria
Sage: (multiple formats; Amazon or Smashwords--$1.00)
Catch an Honest Thief (Kindle only format: $1.99; a cozy mystery)

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 09-01-2009 at 01:31 PM.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I would be very interested in there being a sticky for this for the same reason that having the sticky on the free and cheap books works. not all of us have time to be checking numerous places and monitoring multiple websites to include monitoring multiple locations here at mobile read.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
Does anyone else also check their local overdrive and paper book libraries, books on board, and fictionwise? I don't mind paying for paperbacks and "must haves" but on books for the TBR (to be read) pile, I do shop around and wait. I wish bookburro firefox extension/web service was available for ebooks and local overdrive/netlibrary, as well as project gutenberg for public domain books.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I myself am waiting for Julian Comstock by Robert Charles Wilson, Coyote Horizon by Allen Steele, and Plain, Honest Men by Richard Beeman to reach a $9.99 price.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
sclar-d
sclar-d began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
I would be very interested in there being a sticky for this
sclar-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #8
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I am waiting for China Mieville's City and the City to drop to $9.99
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
My current reading todo list is large enough that I can currently afford to wait for new releases to come down in price, or for specials on the books I am after.

A sticky post would be kind of cool, but the way Amazon chnges prices it might be annoying to have 400 books pop up in the sticky with big groups of books discounted regularly.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
KarlB
Enthusiast
KarlB began at the beginning.

Device: clay tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
There are several web sites that will monitor book prices and email you when they get to a certain price. I think that would be more useful than scanning through hundreds or thousands of messages to see if a price had gone down.
...And what are the odds that a particular book I'm interested in will be included in any list that's compiled here? Or that that book would be updated in a timely fashion if it was in the list? And why would reading through such a list of many, many books be more convenient for me than checking the price of one book myself?

Zoolert is one website such as JMikeD describes. After a free sign up, you can list any number of Kindle books and be notified when its price falls below some amount that you set.

In other words, "there's a (web) app for that."
KarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlB View Post
...And what are the odds that a particular book I'm interested in will be included in any list that's compiled here? Or that that book would be updated in a timely fashion if it was in the list? And why would reading through such a list of many, many books be more convenient for me than checking the price of one book myself?

Zoolert is one website such as JMikeD describes. After a free sign up, you can list any number of Kindle books and be notified when its price falls below some amount that you set.

In other words, "there's a (web) app for that."
Amazon recently changed their software API and it no longer returns the price of ebooks, so these services no longer work.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote