Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Who pays after the first date if both make about the same money?
The man pays for all dates. 19 22.89%
Whoever asks for the date pays. 37 44.58%
The man and woman split the tab evenly. 19 22.89%
The woman pays less than half the bill (such as paying for the tip). 6 7.23%
The woman pays for all dates. 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Who pays after the first date if both make about the same money?

Confusing question that deserves a poll...
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
whoever does the inviting
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Are you youngsters STILL arguing about this?

I remember the same discussions back in the 70's......

Personally, if a man invites me out for a meal, he can pay.

(and for my husband, too! )
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Are you youngsters STILL arguing about this?

I remember the same discussions back in the 70's......

Personally, if a man invites me out for a meal, he can pay.

(and for my husband, too! )
Right. The man is expected to:

come up with the date
ask her out
pick her up
pay
take her back home.

But she's nobody's property!
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post

come up with the date
ask her out
pick her up
pay
take her back home.

Frickin' A. You got a problem with this?
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Frickin' A. You got a problem with this?
I'll be nebulously diplomatic and say it depends on the woman.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I'll be nebulously diplomatic and say it depends on the woman.
Seriously, I think things would go a lot smoother if the two could just agree to go 'dutch'.

No expectations, no pressure.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
My girlfriend and I alternate paying.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
no.guru
Crazy like a

Quote:
Seriously, I think things would go a lot smoother if the two could just agree to go 'dutch'.

No expectations, no pressure.
Really, I think that happens often these days.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
I go dutch on the 1st date just in case im with someone too.... "friendly" After that all generosity will be welcome with a "thank you."

Quote:

come up with the date
ask her out
pick her up
pay
take her back home.

That's the way it is... and if your cheap or ask for half the bill.... Expect to be torn in half the minute the girl has the opportunity to call a friend.

Seems out dated now... but instincitvely you guys are the providers...
So go on...
provide...
get with it!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
My girlfriend and I alternate paying.
I'd say first date both pay equal shares, than alternate. I'm not comfortable letting a guy pay when I might choose to never see him again. I'd feel too bad saying no to a second date if the guy paid everything.

Re-read that - let's make it clearer, shall we?
No I'm not that easy, I will say no if I want to say no, but it bugs me less if I don't feel I owe him something. Better?
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
I go dutch on the 1st date just in case im with someone too.... "friendly".
Definitely.

After that it depends - kind of whoever does the inviting or taking it in turns, or sharing expenses (eg you pay for tickets I'll pay for drinks) or whatever.

This does avoid the feeling that someone is paying for you to spend time with them, but also seems only fair to me, as if we both have jobs, why not both contribute? I would certainly never assume that someone else would always pay for me. Also, if they offer then I don't want someone I like to think I'm taking advantage.

I always think that if I enjoy being taken out sometimes, then other people will enjoy it if I do that for them!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
Definitely.

After that it depends - kind of whoever does the inviting or taking it in turns, or sharing expenses (eg you pay for tickets I'll pay for drinks) or whatever.

This does avoid the feeling that someone is paying for you to spend time with them, but also seems only fair to me, as if we both have jobs, why not both contribute? I would certainly never assume that someone else would always pay for me. Also, if they offer then I don't want someone I like to think I'm taking advantage.

I always think that if I enjoy being taken out sometimes, then other people will enjoy it if I do that for them!
See, I didn't know what going dutch meant!
You explain things in such a better way than me!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
no.guru
Crazy like a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
I go dutch on the 1st date just in case im with someone too.... "friendly" After that all generosity will be welcome with a "thank you."

That's the way it is... and if your cheap or ask for half the bill.... Expect to be torn in half the minute the girl has the opportunity to call a friend.

Seems out dated now... but instincitvely you guys are the providers...
So go on...
provide...
get with it!
Ruth explains the way it happens for me. If you think women are the only ones doing the rejecting .. <ahem>.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Ruth explains the way it happens for me. If you think women are the only ones doing the rejecting .. <ahem>.
Ok, maybe I did not elaborate sufficiently, it is not expected of men to pay, it is nice and women do like it. We are more conscious of the fact that the times have changed and how hoard money is earned. We do offer to pay and sometimes its taken and sometimes its not. When it is expected that the girl chips in that's when its a turn off, same way when the girl stands to go to the ladies room the minute she spies the check coming. There is something nostalgic, chivalrous and romantic when a guy says "Don't worry about it babe, I'm taking care of it."
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote