Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #106
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wow. I saw this thread yesterday and wanted to read if it's related to a problem I'm having (and I believe I know the cause of it) but with over 100 posts already I'm not really interested in reading it all. So, two quick questions:

1. Has the issue been resolved (or at least understood)? and
2. Is it related to this problem I posted the other day (which I would hope could be fixed some way, perhaps by preventing datavis.com from participating in the ads we host)?:
I hate it when I click on a thread and my browser is instantly redirected to the portion of the page where there is an ad displayed by this one particular company. I can live with ads being displayed. But leave the control of what I look at on that page to me. This has been happening far too frequently the last couple of weeks. Death to datavis.com.
ya lazy dog. They're forcing me, almost physically, to change browsers. My IE worked great until a few weeks ago, repositioning me in MR at all the wrong places. Now they have me trying Furfox. I told them I would give it a week....we'll see.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #107
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
It's far betterer and nicer than IE, and it has a cuter logo! plus it's more standards compliant than IE, which means it's easier for the nice web designers and developers to get a site looking good in it, without having to jump through arbitary MS-imposed hoops to get it too work and look good.

It's my other browser of choice. I only use IE if I absolutely have to.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #108
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You know what I noticed and I am too lazy to see if anyone mentioned it, is that it goes right to "Forum Jump" and a forum is selected.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #109
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just found, and installed, Firefox v3.0.5 portable application.

Working a lot smoother than the older version I had.

One more star for Firefox, a few more to go.

WDE.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #110
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Just found, and installed, Firefox v3.0.5 portable application.

Working a lot smoother than the older version I had.

One more star for Firefox, a few more to go.

WDE.
I can't install it, I'm surfing on my work laptop.
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #111
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I can't install it, I'm surfing on my work laptop.
pssst ! http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #112
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Hmmm...

I'm so lazy
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #113
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Wetdogeard, you're not alone. I'm seeing a similar "jump to the bottom of the page" as I load a new page (Mac OS X 10.5, Safari). It happens (sometimes) when I click on the "new posts" button, and also when I pick the next page directly at the bottom of the current screen. It only ever happens on this site and it's starting to drive me crazy(-ier).

Anything I can do to help debug?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #114
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Wetdogeard, you're not alone. I'm seeing a similar "jump to the bottom of the page" as I load a new page (Mac OS X 10.5, Safari). It happens (sometimes) when I click on the "new posts" button, and also when I pick the next page directly at the bottom of the current screen. It only ever happens on this site and it's starting to drive me crazy(-ier).

i think alex has requested that you copy the url when you see this behavior, and paste it here so he can check if there's something strange happening.

very odd behavior.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #115
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

There's nothing wrong with the URL, I can load the page several times in a row and sometimes it will jump, and sometimes it won't. I've turned off ad blocking and pop-up blocking.

It jumps to just below this mysterious box:

To be fair, with ad blocking on, I had assumed that this box was a missing ad. Now, I have no idea what it is. The mouseover reads "Run script "no opt()."". Clicking on the small link in the left hand corner has no effect.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #116
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the URL, I can load the page several times in a row and sometimes it will jump, and sometimes it won't. I've turned off ad blocking and pop-up blocking.

It jumps to just below this mysterious box:

To be fair, with ad blocking on, I had assumed that this box was a missing ad. Now, I have no idea what it is. The mouseover reads "Run script "no opt()."". Clicking on the small link in the left hand corner has no effect.
aha, now that is intriguing ! i would have thought that is an ad as well, usually in that place it would be. maybe it's an ad which is malfunctioning / partially blocked, but nonetheless managing to place the script to jump to the ad (i don't know for sure, but i bet that's not really allowed). vr was having this trouble with a specific ad, maybe these are all related after all (i've never had this trouble or that ad, so i don't know).

we will have to see what alex finds.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #117
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
we will have to see what alex finds.
Interesting. I have seen that too, but it has never affected the correct positioning in the browser. I always thought it was a bad add too. Perhaps FireFox is immune to this where IE and Safari are not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #118
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Yeah, with ads unblocked (yuck), I see that it is a spot for an ad (and when the pages are loading correctly there is an ad in that spot). Is there a way to determine which ad it is supposed to be? I see that VR said that it was datavis, but I can't seem to determine that, but I might be willing to place a bet.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #119
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:

Thanks for your support tlrowley, maybe Alex will take another look if it involves more than just IE. I would like to return to my favorite browser.

*note* ads by datavis are at bottom of my screen
Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #120
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
ya lazy dog. They're forcing me, almost physically, to change browsers. My IE worked great until a few weeks ago, repositioning me in MR at all the wrong places. Now they have me trying Furfox. I told them I would give it a week....we'll see.
(yawn) Yep, I know I'm lazy. Sorry, but it's a lot of work for a dog to.....(yawn).......forgot what I was gonna say. Anyway, I'll get back to you. By the way, I'm forced to use IE at work (my PC is "locked down") which is where I do much of my MR'ing. I'm sure many others are in the same (sinking or stinking) boat with me.

By the way, it's now quite clear to me that the problem I'm experiencing (I'm unsure of problems others are having) is due to the ads from datavis.com.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote