Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Artishell
Artishell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation YetAnotherHelpmeThread KoboGlo (Mondadori) Brick

[TL-DR at the end]
Hi everybody,
I know I'm a new user on this community and I'm sorry that my first thread will suck as hard as this one is going to. I've lurked in the "Guests" counter for roughly 2 years and registered only today since, as the title suggests, my father in law's Kobo Glo bricked. -I'm a lame person, I know-

Symptoms:
Screen is frozen like this since two weeks
and it does not change whatever I do.
Here's a video of the behaviour [you'll notice the back of the device is missing, it's irrelevant, but I'll explain why in the post]
http://vimeo.com/fisiofede/koboglobrick
If I try to turn it on (or off, since I don't know where I'm starting) the small LED near the slider glows blue for 10 / 12 seconds, then vanishes.
If I try to hard reset it, nothing changes [I've tried everything I found on the forum and on maaany blogs online, hold the light button and flick the slider, hold the slider, hold the light button and release the slider, hold the slider and hit the reset button with a paperclip, hold the reset button and and flick the light button while wondering what the F it means to "flick a button" and any combination thereof] I tried installing Android on the wretched thing and nothing works. I even tried opening the device, pulling the µSD from it, mounting it on a linux box, and restoring the FS partition from the files found in the rescue partition.
NOTHING.

The only thing I didn't try yet is flashing another Image on the SD card, (since I don't have one: the old man never does safety backups with new items unless they're already broken, no matter how many times you tell him to) SO

TL-DR
As a last resource, I'd need a kind soul to allow me to download their kobo Glo .img, that I'll then dd on the µSD card

Thanks a Lot Folks

Last edited by Artishell; 05-04-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: video not displaying correctly
Artishell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, copying the recoveryfs to the rootfs won't work. When a factory reset is done, the device is booted using the recoveryfs, that then formats the rootfs and unpacks the firmware to the roots and installs a uImage and uBoot file.

From your description and the video, you aren't doing the correct steps for a factory reset using the buttons. They are:

- Charge the device for at least an hour to make sure there is sufficient battery charge.
- Hold the power slider in the off position for at least 20 second.
- Hold the light button down and push the power slider over and release it.
- When the LED start to flash, release the light button.

If that doesn't work the first time, repeat but extend the time for each step a little.

In case it still doesn't work, I'll send you a PM with a link to the firmware in a few moments.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
blue led, brick, kobo glo