Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
It really does seem fairly clear to me, but as you say we'll all see soon enough.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #32
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd take those articles with a pinch of salt. It's not at all clear to me that the ECJ's ruling has as widespread applicability as they are suggesting. Time will tell.
What does your solicitor have to say about it?
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
And this is why copyright laws needs to be modernized.
One such requirement beeing that if you want to transfer an eBook to someone you should be able to do so, as long as it is done in accordance with traditional transfer methods, ie. you don't maintain a copy on a retailer's server, in the cloud or on your computer (USB stick, MicroSD card etc).
One other issue that even if you've said you've deleted all the copies, there's no guarantee that you actually did other then your word. No way to know if you are truthful or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #34
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Doesn't mean we can't come up with a viable technological solution in the future. Technology has created this conundrum, perhaps it can also solve it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
This can actually be a good thing when it comes to transferring books since there is a third party to ensure that the book has been removed from existing devices. But I only see this happening if there is a decision after there is a decision in the courts.
How can an online store check my 650 to see if I have removed a book I am supposed to be selling to someone else?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

Actually, thinking about it, I reckon this is all rather comical in a way - how many years ago did the multi-billion music industry come to a solution ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
If I go to "Manage My Kindle" on Amazon, one of the choices is "Delete from library". At Kobo one of the choices in "My Library" is "Delete". Smashwords has a "Remove from library" option. That takes care of the only stores I have accounts at, and are three major book retailers. Maybe Sony, B&N are different but I can certainly delete anything I've acquired and choose to give away.
Agree with you, it is up to the Ebook sellers to provide 'remove from library' or 'delete from account' options.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 07-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #38
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Just because they write it in the license doesn't mean it's enforceable. Has this ever been tested in court? Can anyone point me to a case specifically relating to ebooks?
Perhaps you should not have agreed to the terms of the agreement which you readily pressed...Integrity ..Its really as simple as that....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Morally there is nothing wrong with doing it. As for "conditions" imposed by the publisher, they are unenforceable. There is no contract between them and you unless you agree to it. Buying the book does not constitute agreement.

Many existing printed book have conditions that prevent selling or even lending if the book has been rebound or had a new cover. A lot of the technical or reference books that I have purchased over the years are in breach of those conditions. Another unenforceable stipulation. If I own something, I can do with it as I please (providing it doesn't hurt someone etc.) and if I wish I can sell or lend it to another person.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Doesn't mean we can't come up with a viable technological solution in the future. Technology has created this conundrum, perhaps it can also solve it.
Probably the only solution to this would be that you can't download, but that your book is in the cloud, accessible online only. Then a transfer could be verified.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Perhaps you should not have agreed to the terms of the agreement which you readily pressed...Integrity ..Its really as simple as that....
Maybe they shouldn't try to intimidate people with "click through" licenses that aren't legally enforceable.

Or perhaps if they're not really transferring full "property rights" that some proponents seem to think are so important then they shouldn't call it a sale.

Integrity...It's really as simple as that. Although it helps if you realize that integrity is a two way street.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #42
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One other issue that even if you've said you've deleted all the copies, there's no guarantee that you actually did other then your word. No way to know if you are truthful or not.
What happened to "innocent until proven otherwise"? There shouldn't be a need for me to prove that I have fulfilled my "obligations" in deleting something I have given away. The burden of proof is not on me but on the accusing part.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #43
plib
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
What happened to "innocent until proven otherwise"?
Went out the window in about 1999.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What does your solicitor have to say about it?
I haven't asked him. I'll do so when the opportunity arises.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Actually, thinking about it, I reckon this is all rather comical in a way - how many years ago did the multi-billion music industry come to a solution ?
They haven't. You can't sell digitally-downloaded music.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote