Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #46
Naeddyr
Naeddyr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I am unable to upgrade the firmware, on Linux, with a rooted T1. I do the unzip-package-restarthomemenubutton thing, and it seems to try to work something out because it takes a while and the screen resets, but I guess the install itself is aborted because it doesn't take THAT long a time, there's no Installing indicators, and the settings menu still shows I have the older firmware. I tried to install the firmware straight on top of a rooted one, so maybe it's that.

In any case, I was trying to upgrade just-because, so it doesn't bother me.
Naeddyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #47
serige
serige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350
Did any1 got link2sd installed and most of the apps in the external partition have any trouble to do the update? Will the apps still be accessible after the update?
I am clueless. Any pointer or experience will be appreciated.
serige is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #48
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Has anyone tried to tie the multiple page turns to what size font you are using?

If you miss a page, have you tried changing the font size to see if the reader will then get the page?

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #49
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Approximately a week ago I installed new firmware.

No problems till yesterday. (except I cannot delete books on device itself and often get the reader application not working error)

Yesterday I got the continuous screen flash with reloading arrows which I had'nt encountered before and could not turn of the device. (happened when I turned page with hardware buttons)

I reset it and the book I was reading was back to page one.

Went to correct page and turned page with no problem.

Later set reader on nightstand to answer phone. When I picked it up go to box/slider was displayed.

Finished book. Started another book which went from page 47 to page 59 with no hitting of keys or noticeable page flashes, and I had cleaned screen after reset.

Went back and continued reading. Then it went back to page one. Just poof, reading page 88 and hit page turn button and I am on page one.

Don't get me wrong, I have had far worse problems with PRS-600 and my mother's kindle 3, they didn't malfunction as often, but when they did it was much harder to get them working again. I just don't see the firmware as having solved much. Hope it is better for most.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 02-04-2012 at 03:22 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #50
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Yikes! I got the continuous flashing screen/reloading arrows thing for the first time last night. (I updated to the latest firmware about a week ago as well.)

I was using the touch screen to turn pages. All of a sudden, the pages wouldn't turn, and after 3 or 4 swipes the screen starting flashing with the reloading arrows.

I ended up resetting and it opened on the Home screen. When I re-opened the book, it took me to the first page from that reading session as if that reading session had never happened (notes from that reading session were lost as well -- but notes from previous reading sessions were still there).

I usually go back to the Home screen before putting my Reader to sleep. I'm wondering if the Reader does a "save" whenever you go to the Home screen.

I continued reading without any problems, but I'm wary now, not knowing if, when, or how often this will happen again.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #51
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds exactly the same as for me. Except I don't make notes.

On a lighter note, it has'nt happened since and it has been five days. I would be more disturbed about losing notes if I was making them.

Helen

PS. I went back to the first page of the book, but that might have been where I started reading session. And I think It happened after I had made a bookmark, which I rarely do.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 02-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Yikes! I got the continuous flashing screen/reloading arrows thing for the first time last night. (I updated to the latest firmware about a week ago as well.)

I was using the touch screen to turn pages. All of a sudden, the pages wouldn't turn, and after 3 or 4 swipes the screen starting flashing with the reloading arrows.

I ended up resetting and it opened on the Home screen. When I re-opened the book, it took me to the first page from that reading session as if that reading session had never happened (notes from that reading session were lost as well -- but notes from previous reading sessions were still there).

I usually go back to the Home screen before putting my Reader to sleep. I'm wondering if the Reader does a "save" whenever you go to the Home screen.

I continued reading without any problems, but I'm wary now, not knowing if, when, or how often this will happen again.
I suspect that may be a bad epub file I could be wrong I had it happen twice on one book and not since in any other but it's definitely a bug Sony needs to address and I hope they do. It happened to me on the previous firmware though and hasn't since.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #53
JTM65
JTM65 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
So we are on to firmware version 1.0.04.12210 - released on 27 January 2012? Seems to me that Sony is really missing an opportunity here, or maybe some other manufacturer already has done it. Why not produce an E-Ink reader/tablet that is a much more open architecture, allowing the use of the Kindle, Kobo or any other Android eReader app you like? I bought the PRS-T1 in spite of the Sony book store. I have not had to bother with a root yet, as Calibre allows me to load most books and I can buy any Amazon eBooks I want and "convert" them for the T1. Still seems like there would be a market for a slightly more capable eInk device with wifi and such. Guess it is off to root I go.
JTM65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #54
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I for one have held off "up-dating" as I don't like the sound of the unpredictability that seems to be inherent - and I've not noticed any of the faults it's supposed to fix....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #55
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:

The exact thing happened to me last night. I have had the new firmware update a week also. We'll se how it goes. If it happens again I will report it to Sony. Did you?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #56
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like the "endless loop" isn't new from the latest firmware, but was happening with previous firmware versions as well (see posts 9 & 10 here) plus Teknikal's post above.

I normally go back to the Home screen before putting the Reader to sleep, but on the day that I got the endless loop, I didn't. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Last edited by pssquirrel; 02-11-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #57
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
I normally go back to the Home screen before putting the Reader to sleep, but on the day that I got the endless loop, I didn't. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
I think when it happened to me I did the same thing so you might be on to something, although I suspect the epub I was using probably played a part as well.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #58
speakingtohe
Wizard

I believe I was trying the bookmark function when mine started the blank screen with the reloading arrows started flashing.

Helen
Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #59
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think when it happened to me I did the same thing so you might be on to something, although I suspect the epub I was using probably played a part as well.
Here's what I'm thinking (which is mostly speculation and could be totally off):

When you close a book and go back to the Home screen, the current book page and all notes and bookmarks get saved. If you never close a book while reading (i.e., you just let the reader go to sleep with the book open), you will end up back at page 1 after a crash. But if you close a book before putting the reader to sleep, you'll go back to the previous reading session before the crash.

What I'm wondering is if closing a book and going back to the Home screen has other benefits (like clearing memory? refreshing certain firmware files?) that might help keep the reader stable and prevent crashes. I'm also wondering if shutting down the reader completely (say, once every week or every month?) will also "refresh" things and help prevent crashes.

And, of course, if you're reading an epub that is irregular in some manner, that could certainly aggravate the problem, increasing the likelihood of a crash.

Again, I'm just speculating.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #60
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Approximately a week ago I installed new firmware.

No problems till yesterday. (except I cannot delete books on device itself and often get the reader application not working error)

Yesterday I got the continuous screen flash with reloading arrows which I had'nt encountered before and could not turn of the device. (happened when I turned page with hardware buttons)

I reset it and the book I was reading was back to page one.

Went to correct page and turned page with no problem.

Later set reader on nightstand to answer phone. When I picked it up go to box/slider was displayed.

Finished book. Started another book which went from page 47 to page 59 with no hitting of keys or noticeable page flashes, and I had cleaned screen after reset.

Went back and continued reading. Then it went back to page one. Just poof, reading page 88 and hit page turn button and I am on page one.

Don't get me wrong, I have had far worse problems with PRS-600 and my mother's kindle 3, they didn't malfunction as often, but when they did it was much harder to get them working again. I just don't see the firmware as having solved much. Hope it is better for most.

Helen
This happened to me a while back on a Nook Color with a book badly formatted. The same book, now on the T1 works beautifully. Try finding another source, or if you bought it ask the bookstore to recode it.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote