Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #1186
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The library list has a filter for "All", "Reading", "Unread" and "Finished". Do they do what you want?
No. The filters are there but they don't apply. Miss click on a book and immediately it's 1% read - even if it's just info about the author which gets skipped if re-reading the book (even on first reading). The same for finished. I have a few Gutenberg books and the last of the book can be a blurb about GB. That doesn't get read, either.

You have to manually go into books to change the configuration to unread or finished.

I'm not interested in awards or challenges to myself. Those that like that sort of thing are welcome to it. Give me the choice.

Don't assume. I can buy a book on digitizing for embroidery and start in the middle. I know my software and I just need a few instructions. I might not ever finish the book if I don't need it.

Last edited by Alpha o; 07-16-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #1187
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
No. The filters are there but they don't apply.
What do you mean by "don't apply"? They don't work? Or they don't apply to the way you want to use the device?
Quote:
Miss click on a book and immediately it's 1% read - even if it's just info about the author which gets skipped if re-reading the book (even on first reading). The same for finished. I have a few Gutenberg books and the last of the book can be a blurb about GB. That doesn't get read, either.
Opening the book marks is as being read. How is the device supposed to know if opening a book was deliberate of not? As to the percentage, they are using integers, they have a choice of either 0 or 1 for opening to the first page. And of course, of the book only has two pages, it will two pages, then it will probably be 50% or higher. As to the content, how does the device know that the bit at the start and end is rubbish and should not be counted?

And personally, when I get to that ads or blurb at the back, I will sometimes skip them using the ToC or tap the page quickly to turn past them. But, I do tend to glance at them in case there is something I do want to read. In any case, I reach the end and let the device mark the book as finished.
Quote:
You have to manually go into books to change the configuration to unread or finished.
Going into the book won't help. Or do you mean "go into the library list"? But, yes, once a book has been opened, if that is not the state ("configuration"???) you want, you have to do something to change that. Until Kobo implement the mind reading interface that someone (probably Jackastor) requested.
Quote:
I'm not interested in awards or challenges to myself. Those that like that sort of thing are welcome to it. Give me the choice.
In that case, why don't you turn the awards and related tracking off? Or just ignore it as you after the first few awards are shown, you have to do something to see them.
Quote:
Don't assume.
"Don't assume" what?
Quote:
I can buy a book on digitizing for embroidery and start in the middle. I know my software and I just need a few instructions. I might not ever finish the book if I don't need it.
And nothing is stopping you from doing this. You seem to be saying that having the book marked as open with a percent read is somehow stopping you from doing this. Or have I missed what you are saying?

Last edited by davidfor; 07-16-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #1188
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a PITA having all those notices hanging on the front screen.

Fat finger a book while scrolling book list opens it. I don't want it open and there is no choice.

I have awards turned off. I want the home screen to just show the current book or nothing.

Books is the library list on my Kobo. I don't sync with Kobo unless I have to. I don't have "collections" or anything else in the menu for library that applies but "books".

Wifi is usually turned off. I transfer books via the computer. There is no generic command to "mark all read" or unread as in email.

Kobo could add a mark read/unread tag on the list of books so you can undo the mistake instantly.

Kobo needs "turn off notifications" for those of us who don't need or want them.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #1189
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a PITA having all those notices hanging on the front screen.
So dismiss them.
Quote:
Fat finger a book while scrolling book list opens it. I don't want it open and there is no choice.
So, you mess up and the software is supposed to know that? Or maybe I don't understand what choice you want.
Quote:
I have awards turned off. I want the home screen to just show the current book or nothing.
Then dismiss all the other tiles.
Quote:
Books is the library list on my Kobo. I don't sync with Kobo unless I have to. I don't have "collections" or anything else in the menu for library that applies but "books".
Huh? I don't know what you mean. You should have "My collections" in the menu when you tap "Library" on the home screen. And on a library list, tapping "Books" will have it as well.
Quote:
Wifi is usually turned off. I transfer books via the computer. There is no generic command to "mark all read" or unread as in email.
Oh, you want a way to do it en mass. You are correct, there isn't a way. And for anyone with more than a dozen or so books on the device, it would be useless.
Quote:
Kobo could add a mark read/unread tag on the list of books so you can undo the mistake instantly.
Again, huh? Kobo show the state. And you can long press on the book and get a menu that has "Mark as finished" or "Mark as unread" depending on the state. Choosing that one of these sounds like what you want.
Quote:
Kobo needs "turn off notifications" for those of us who don't need or want them.
Kobo did have a option to turn off notifications from them. It seems to have disappeared in a recent firmware. But, if you don't sync, you won't get anything from them.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #1190
Alpha o
Addict

There is a heading for "My collections" - it's empty. It's easier in Calibre. I'd be more prone to use category like the DDS.

Is there a plugin for Calibre that will let you transfer books set up by category to the Kobo and keep the category on the Kobo? Save an awful lot of hunting and pecking.

Turn off notifications means the stupid percent read. Those that like it can have it. Give me the option of getting rid of it.

Kobo is too slow on changing state. Long press and wait for menu. Why not double tap for delete? I know I miss tapped as soon as I do it. If you mess up on the computer Control Z or undo handles it faster.

I know what I'm reading, Kobo doesn't have to keep track of it. I don't need all the other books on the front page, either. It's clutter. Why can't you have the book cover just like sleeping does?

I liked the layout of the old Nook Wifi. Buttons, bottom menu and all.
If it could be updated in memory and file system, I'd use it. I do use it - for recipes. New Nooks not worth it. Kindle Voyage would be out. No SD card.

I have an Android wifi only tablet. I don't like it for reading.

Last edited by Alpha o; 07-18-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Advert
Old 07-18-2015, 10:41 PM   #1191
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
There is a heading for "My collections" - it's empty.
That would be because you haven't defined any. They're your collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o
I know what I'm reading, Kobo doesn't have to keep track of it. I don't need all the other books on the front page, either. It's clutter. Why can't you have the book cover just like sleeping does?
Oh, sure. And then the device will magically know what you want to read next, and nobody ever needs to bother with things like setting up a wireless network or removing books that they're done with...

Unless you write the software and design the hardware yourself, you're never going to find a device that does exactly and only what you want, and in exactly the way you want. Kobo's firmware gives options. You are free to ignore them, but some of us like and use them.

Personally, with close to a thousand books loaded, I've got three pages' worth of collections defined. Some of those overlap, and I use the home screen to remind me what I've flagged that I want to read next. I've even been known to <gasp> switch from one book to another, if I'm not in the mood for my current read at the moment. (I've got one nonfiction book glaring at me; I've had it "open" for over a year, but I'm only 17% of the way through it.)

You do things your way, and I'll do things mine.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 07-18-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #1192
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
There is a heading for "My collections" - it's empty. It's easier in Calibre. I'd be more prone to use category like the DDS.

Is there a plugin for Calibre that will let you transfer books set up by category to the Kobo and keep the category on the Kobo? Save an awful lot of hunting and pecking.
There's a sticky thread on this forum that explains in detail how to do that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #1193
Alpha o
Addict

Link please. The sticky might not use the same terminology I do. Does "this forum" mean this section or the Calibre one?

I can and do read three books at a time. I can usually remember books I've read and since I'm fussy, I usually have to wait for the book I want to read next. I don't do lists. Most of my current books aren't fiction. I hope someone puts out a decent book on the making of the New Horizons mission. I had to wait for Curiosity and Red Rover. Last book the piqued my interest I saw on PBS Newshour. Krebs "Spam Nation" I bought it read it and will probably re-read it.

I re-read quite a bit.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #1194
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 & above (Touch / Glo / Mini /Aura)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #1195
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
You can get quite powerful with this setup. I have mine setup so each connection moves any books that are finished into a finished collection.

I also have it set up to put little emblems on finished books in my Calibre library.

Basically, Calibre should be the software Kobo distribute with their readers. If you don't use Calibre, you really don't know how easy it is to manage the content on your reader.

Spend a little while reading up on this, and you will reap a lot of dividend.

Last edited by Desdinova; 07-20-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #1196
monry
monry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, Kobo Glo HD
Ability to change numbering in ePubs from whole book to chapters would be nice (like it is in kePubs renderer).
monry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #1197
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Perhaps some of us like the multiple tiles on the front screen and even find them useful? Personally, one use I find handy is when I reread a series. I will open the books from the library view in reverse series order so when I return to the home screen the books have tiles in the correct order. Dismiss the finished book and the next book in the series moves up to the big tile. I also use the home screen when I'm editing books -- tap on the annotations at the bottom of the book tile and open the annotations view. Unless you long press a book in library view, there is no indication if it has annotations.

As for knowing what I am reading, currently my home screen has 6 active tiles -- 3 fiction books I'm reading for enjoyment, a cookbook and three non-fiction ebooks (one each from Cisco, Microsoft and Palo Alto that I'm referring to at work). I do realize that other people use their ereaders differently but a cover image only on the home screen strikes me as singularly uninformative and useless.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #1198
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
an indicator like FBReader:
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #1199
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
an indicator like FBReader:
Have a look at the in-book stats for kepubs.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #1200
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Koreader has something like that and actually much better (more options, customizable...).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo