Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Odyssey: your opinion?

Hi,

I'm currently a Kobo Touch owner. I'll perhaps give it to my wife as she starts enjoying reading on it.

So I'll buy another one for myself. I wonder if I'll buy a new Kobo, or switch to an Odyssey. This way I'll be able to compare both.

So I would like to have your opinion about the Odyssey. And for those who had a Kobo as well, perhaps a little comparison between both.

Thanks
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you do a search you'll find a number of threads about the Odyssey.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The good point with the odyssey, folder view, hyphenation (for ePub).

Downside (sometime an advantage), the screen is not as white. Rather large default margins so books usually needs editing. I like the fact the kobo can (at least for kpub), set margins.

There is a new odyssey version that cames out a few days ago. (Better usb port fixing and on/off button change). So if you get an odyssey, make sure it's a new version.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

You mean the Odyssey has a less white screen than the Kobo ? And that with the Odyssey we cannot set margins ?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes - the Odyssey uses (I believe) a screen from SiPix, not the much more common eInk screen. It's been reported by users that its contrast is not as good as that of the current "Pearl" eInk screens that most current readers (including the Kobo) use.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

I find it strange what you say, according to the specs the Odyssey use an eInk Pearl screen, like the Kobo.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Pham View Post
I find it strange what you say, according to the specs the Odyssey use an eInk Pearl screen, like the Kobo.
Yes, the odyssey is pearl. There is still some slight differance with the background (at least compared to the sony T1). But it's not that noticeable.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yes, the odyssey is pearl. There is still some slight differance with the background (at least compared to the sony T1). But it's not that noticeable.
Is it another Bookeen device that uses the SiPix screen? I must be getting mixed up. My apologies.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I see that I am mixing my devices up; it's the "Orizon" that uses the SiPix screen, not the "Odyssey".
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
There is a new odyssey version that cames out a few days ago. (Better usb port fixing and on/off button change).
Would you mind sharing the source of this piece of information?
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Pham View Post
So I would like to have your opinion about the Odyssey. And for those who had a Kobo as well, perhaps a little comparison between both.
I own an Odyssey, a Kindle 3 (now Kindle Keyboard) and an eDGe. But I had the chance of testing for a couple of days a friend's Sony PRS-T1.

The screen of the Odyssey looks a bit more gray than the T1 or the K3. But, in my opinion, it does not influence the reading experience that much. Overall, the Odyssey does a very good job when you want to read EPUBs and you want to fine-tune your reading experience (but they should include a setting for the margins, I agree.)

Pro's: many advanced settings while reading EPUBs, you can load your own fonts (!!!), side buttons for turning pages, aluminium back, you can create and use your own dictionaries

Con's: USB driver still to be fixed (new firmware: when???), power switch difficult to operate, no PDF reflow

If you have a chance of trying it, please proceed. As suggested above, if you want to get one, check that it does not have assembling problems (buttons, power switch, microUSB port).
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
I own an Odyssey, a Kindle 3 (now Kindle Keyboard) and an eDGe. But I had the chance of testing for a couple of days a friend's Sony PRS-T1.

The screen of the Odyssey looks a bit more gray than the T1 or the K3. But, in my opinion, it does not influence the reading experience that much. Overall, the Odyssey does a very good job when you want to read EPUBs and you want to fine-tune your reading experience (but they should include a setting for the margins, I agree.)

Pro's: many advanced settings while reading EPUBs, you can load your own fonts (!!!), side buttons for turning pages, aluminium back, you can create and use your own dictionaries

Con's: USB driver still to be fixed (new firmware: when???), power switch difficult to operate, no PDF reflow

If you have a chance of trying it, please proceed. As suggested above, if you want to get one, check that it does not have assembling problems (buttons, power switch, microUSB port).
Power switch was changed in the new version, usb too, as the plug wasn't fixed well enough. As to the USB conexion being unstable, i don't know if the new version fix that
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

I confirm that the power switch has been replaced by a button... I am curious about Bookeen's policy toward the owners of the "old" model: are they going to replace them? For free? (I doubt.) When sent to them, broken?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
v12
v12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
odyssey has a very weak usb on board connector!

--> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173140
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
odyssey has a very weak usb on board connector!

--> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173140
It's among the changes on the new version, along with switch.

I think some got the new version from virgin.
I sent my odyssey to bookeen due to broken button. I'll see if i get a new version, as they are most likely to change it.