Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
neonightrider
neonightrider began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to scan scifi and fantasy?

I have a bunch of science fiction and fantasy novels I would like to scan to make ebooks out of. However, due to the nature of the books, with lots of either made up or foreign words I can see most OCRs having a problem. Right now I only have an older flatbed scanner, so I plan on getting a new one. I just don't know what format to use. Would scanning into PDF be better, or is there an OCR that is better at handling this kind of stuff better then another?
neonightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I know it would be a bit of a chore, but you could try adding the various words into your dictionary as they come up so that they will be recognized properly. I think most of the currently available software is going to at least flag unusual words as incorrect.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I save my OCR jobs to Word format for further processing, and its search/replace function is excellent for cleaning up the type of error you mentioned. They're less common than you might think (at least with FineReader ), and the error is generally the same every time it occurs, so it's easy to fix.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote