Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Connect is no longer Connect it's now The eBook Store from Sony

Just noticed that Sony has changed the name of the Connect site to "The eBook Store from Sony". I did a Google search on "the eBook Store from Sony and Borders" and it came up with a privacy statement on the new website that refers to The eBook Store from Sony and Borders. I haven't found anything thing more about the Sony and Borders partnership, but the new eBook store name must be in anticipation of the start up. It'll be interesting to see what Border's prices will be for our Sony readers... (Just hurry, I wanna earn points!)

Lobo59
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
hmmm hopefully a sign of a bigger and better thing
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just visited the Connect store for in first time in a while. I noticed that there a few RSS feeds you can subscribe to.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo59 View Post
It'll be interesting to see what Border's prices will be for our Sony readers...
What do you mean by this? Borders has sold the Reader for a long time, at the usual MSRP. Some have also sold physical Sony Connect giftcards.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
It would be nice to be able to add your own RSS feeds to the list. I want Mobileread on my PRS505!!
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
What do you mean by this? Borders has sold the Reader for a long time, at the usual MSRP. Some have also sold physical Sony Connect giftcards.
Maybe he meant for their ebooks?
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Borders and Sony are supposed to be expanding Borders' role when they roll out their new online store next month, when the Borders-Amazon contract expires. It seems like the Borders online store is supposed to start selling Sony ebooks, but the details are little fuzzy. I'm not holding my breath for something amazing, but if it means I can download books on my (non-intel) Mac I'll be happy.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yep, my wonder is about the cost of the eBooks that are supposed to available via Borders website in the near future. There is a sticker on the PRS-505 box in the displays at Borders that gives a credit at the "The eBook Store by Sony at Borders" at this time.
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Eh, I would expect the "Borders" store to just be a rebranded Sony store, or even the same store with Sony and Borders logos displayed. I would not expect much if any difference in prices. Would thing that might happen is Borders can use their retail clout to spur publishers to expand their catalogs on Connect.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Eh, I would expect the "Borders" store to just be a rebranded Sony store, or even the same store with Sony and Borders logos displayed. I would not expect much if any difference in prices. Would thing that might happen is Borders can use their retail clout to spur publishers to expand their catalogs on Connect.
That has been my impression and my hope, too. With a major book retailer jumping on the Sony Reader bandwagon this way there will be a more powerful competitor to Amazon, and between Amazon and Borders/Sony the ebook market may finally reach the critical-mass necessary that publishers do several things:

1) make ebook versions available more quickly;
2) make them cheaper than their paper versions right off the bat and realize lots of savings from not having to print, ship, store, account for as many paper copies and still sell large numbers;
3) bring out backlists of popular authors since there will be very little expense involved, especially for those authors whose books have been electronically submitted in Word or WordPerfect format from the start;
4) get things organized more logically and legally so that human readers won't have to resort to Napster and Kazaa sorts of file sharing networks to get new books for their readers and thus the publishing world can learn from the lessons of the recording industry and continue to make a profit with minimal piracy issues.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
There is a Sony Reader page up on the Borders Beta site:

http://beta.bordersstores.com/online...iew_sonyreader

Interesting that they list the $100 classic offer together with the new $50 credit

Quote:
great offers
Now through January 15, 2008, when you purchase the Reader Digital Book you'll receive $50 in eBooks from the eBook Store from Sony at Borders. Offer details below.*

Also, when you purchase the Reader Digital Book before January 31, 2008, receive 100 free classic eBooks. Look for redemption details on the package.

Add to your existing eBook library and save up to 40% off thousands of bestsellers through the holiday season at the eBook Store from Sony at Borders.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
CapriCornflakes
CapriCornflakes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
Borders eBooks

The plan is to have the Sony/Borders eBook Store work independently AND integrated with the new Borders.com coming in February.

Steps are currently underway to begin testing in-store downloads for eBooks at select locations.

Presently, they already have services in place to allow downloads of music in-store, with downloads of audiobooks coming in January.

http://www.bordersmedia.com/godigital/

With in-store capability, this should allow the ebook downloads to qualify for select discounts through the Borders Rewards membership program.
CapriCornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would have honestly thought one of the stores in Boston would be on that list. Oh well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #14
CapriCornflakes
CapriCornflakes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would have honestly thought one of the stores in Boston would be on that list. Oh well.

Just the same as I had thought they would put one in the Union Square location in San Francisco.

But then, this is a test program, and supposedly this concept won't be seen in most stores until 2009. Who knows what criteria they followed to determine locations?

Still, this in-store support may be one additional reason for Sony to partner with Borders, seeing as Sony has very few Style stores, and Borders likely has an established relationship with publishers, saving Sony the time to build one.
CapriCornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriCornflakes View Post
The plan is to have the Sony/Borders eBook Store work independently AND integrated with the new Borders.com coming in February.

Steps are currently underway to begin testing in-store downloads for eBooks at select locations.
That would be very nice, indeed. I have about 5 Borders stores convenient to me (and I don't have a car, so they're very convenient indeed). Does anyone know if we'd be able to get Borders Rewards points for ebook purchases when we can start buying through borders.com?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote