Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #46
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn View Post
How does this differ from the images available at xda? Will the B&N update also blow away your CM7? If my rooted nook is going to get hosed I might as well look at the alternatives.....
CM7 is at XDA.

Supposedly installing a "custom ROM" (i.e. full installation of Android) stops the NC from being recongized by BN as a device it needs to update.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #47
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Just to add my 2-cents - I did the manual update and it worked fine and very fast. I really like the new email app, and Youtube videos play nicely. I am quite pleased with the update.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #48
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
This was going to be my next question. I unrooted this morning. Do I have to wait for a new autonooter in order to root my NC and put CM7 on it?
You can put CM7 on any NOOKcolor, it does not have to be rooted first.

The easiest and clearest instructions for CM7 install are at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=151

This will void your warranty, and you do so at your own risk.

But there are helpful people available in the XDA forum if you get into trouble, and are polite.

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 04-25-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn View Post
How does this differ from the images available at xda? Will the B&N update also blow away your CM7? If my rooted nook is going to get hosed I might as well look at the alternatives.....
XDA doesn't really have a collection of ROMs, just developers hang out there and post links to their ROMs on the XDA forums.
That said the CM7 developers posts their ROM updates at XDA but to get CM7 ROM's you have to go to their site or a mirror.

No the nook updates will not undo the ROM install. For ROMs you can either have install the OS on a MicroSD card or on the eMMC of the nook. Either way the nook software is not executed.

If you want to have both worlds you can install on the MicroSD card and just remove the card to boot into stock nook. Me personally I had zero interest in the nook stock software so I installed on the eMMC memory.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #50
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
I just tried changing the location in my app, and Hamiltion, ONT., does show up, radar map, data, and all!

Back to reset it to my home in Indiana.
Thanks for doing that for me
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #51
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
The stock pdf reader is shamefully bad considering that it's far far worse than the stock pdf reader on the nook classic.
I am wondering why you say this, so much so that I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something about the PDF reader in the Classic Nook. As far as I can tell, on the Classic Nook, what you see is what you get on a PDF - you cannot go landscape, you cannot zoom in or out, you cannot move the screen around; in fact, you cannot really do anything. If a chart, for example, is too small to read, you are stuck and have no ability to read it.

In contrast, with the unrooted Color Nook, you can zoom in and out, shift the screen left and right, etc, and also go into landscape mode.

Yes, I wish the Color Nook PDF reader was better, but it's still much better than that on the Classic Nook, IMHO.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #52
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Yes, I wish the Color Nook PDF reader was better, but it's still much better than that on the Classic Nook, IMHO.
Except of course for the fact that it can't remember the last read page, which is very convenient in 300+ page books.

And, of course, the fact that text PDF books on the Nook Classic could actually re-flow a little, whereas on the Nook Color you have to zoom in on every single page.

And, of course, that the usual "turn page" area doesn't work and you have to swipe every page up and down with a ridiculously sweeping gesture, whereas with the Nook Classic, you just pressed the page up/down buttons.

Well, that's my take anyway.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #53
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No the nook updates will not undo the ROM install. For ROMs you can either have install the OS on a MicroSD card or on the eMMC of the nook. Either way the nook software is not executed.

If you want to have both worlds you can install on the MicroSD card and just remove the card to boot into stock nook. Me personally I had zero interest in the nook stock software so I installed on the eMMC memory.
I'm starting to understand (I think) now. So the autonooter sort of installed parallel to the existing B&N software as evidenced by still booting into the B&N system with the marketplace and installed apps available through extras.

The 'custom rom' method you are talking about replaces the B&N software altogether. Would you need to install a B&N app of some kind to access their store and/or read the books you have already purchased from them? What about resetting it to stock? I've seen the video where you unregister it and wipe it before doing the 8 failed boots.

I just looked at a video at unlocker - http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/06/how...he-nook-color/ - that looked very interesting.

Sorry for asking so many questions but this is new and very interesting to me. Realizing there is a way to enhance the NC that doesn't get blown away by B&N updates is enlightening.

If a type of custom rom is installed, is it updatable, as in applying windows updates, or is a new install required?

Thanks for all the help.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #54
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I really wanted to support B&N but it looks like I, too, will be in the market for a regular Android tablet. Any recommendations?

I have seen a few people say this now. I am curious, why? Since the nook color can be turned into an Android tablet, why not do this instead. Rather then just root the B&N build, replace it with regular android.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #55
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post

But there are helpful people available in the XDA forum if you get into trouble, and are polite.
Thanks for this. I will let you know how it goes.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #56
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post

I think it is easier to just install CM7 so it boots off the uSD card. You do need to make sure you have a decent card, like a good class 6 one. Doing it that way also lets you easily reboot it into B&N 'mode' if you want later and is as easy to undo as pulling out the card, so no warrenty issues even if the device is dead you can still pull the card before sending it to B&N.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
I have seen a few people say this now. I am curious, why? Since the nook color can be turned into an Android tablet, why not do this instead. Rather then just root the B&N build, replace it with regular android.
I miss not having a mic. The tablet has replaced my phone (minus calls and GPS). Really need a mic.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #58
twobits
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I miss not having a mic. The tablet has replaced my phone (minus calls and GPS). Really need a mic.

Hmm.. yeah... I can see that. I don't have the nook color yet myself, but have been thinking of getting it, as a tablet. I just helped a friend install CM7 on theirs and was wondering if I would like it better then the off contract hero I have been using as a wifi VoIP phone. I have been meaning to look up if you could hook a wired headset up to it. I did see you can use a bluetooth one with it at least. My other thought is that it may be too big for a phone. Would love to see a 4" or so pixel qi device come out that could work as a VoIP phone and tablet and reader.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #59
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Except of course for the fact that it can't remember the last read page, which is very convenient in 300+ page books.

And, of course, the fact that text PDF books on the Nook Classic could actually re-flow a little, whereas on the Nook Color you have to zoom in on every single page.

And, of course, that the usual "turn page" area doesn't work and you have to swipe every page up and down with a ridiculously sweeping gesture, whereas with the Nook Classic, you just pressed the page up/down buttons.

Well, that's my take anyway.
All very good points, for sure. I actually seldom read PDFs on either of my Nooks, and the only time I got really screwed up was on the Classic Nook with a bunch of charts that were unreadable, so the zooming in capability of the Color seemed like heaven. So, I guess we need a combined version!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #60
RAH
Guru

Speaking of PDFs, there is a PDF app in the app store. It got some bad reviews, saying it could only read stuff on the SD card (!), but others saying it works great. Anyone here have it?