Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 10-16-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Thumbs up iSilo 4.0 & iSiloX/C Released

iSilo 4.0 has been released. Get it here.

Get iSiloX and/or iSiloXC here.

Someone get Darren a beverage puleez!
Old 10-18-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
What would you consider the killer features that would prompt someone to upgrade? I've read the whatsnew stuff and it's a bit lengthy and doesn't pinpoint for me what is so cool.

I know fonts would probably be one big feature improvement, but I really don't see an issue with how my documents are displayed. Perhaps my existing FontHack is making everything pretty for me.

I was planning to upgrade for sure if landscape mode was implemented, but it wasn't. So, what's great in the new version that should have everyone paying for an upgrade?
Advert
Old 10-19-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Griff, I agree with you somewhat that the jump from 3.x to 4.0 seems too high for the new functionality being offered right now. However, keep in mind that we are talking of the beginning of 4.x, and that iSilo/X has a good track record for making regular updates and bringing out new features.

To answer your question, in my eyes the new lossy compression on images is very helpful - and the faster your handheld, the less noticeable this extra bit of compression becomes.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Griff
Enthusiast

I agree that they do tend to add new features, but I don't feel comfortable paying for them in advance. I bought my license a month before the for-pay upgrade was announced and that already soured me a bit on the upgrade. From the sounds of it, there's isn't much in there that would get me to upgrade at the moment, I'll wait for more features.

Have you noticed a large reduction in your filesizes when using lossy compression for channels that contain pictures? If so, which handheld do you use?

I'm a bit concerned that you mention the faster the handheld bit. I'm still on a NR70v and really don't want to upgrade only to notice a speed hit. Sounds like I should skip this upgrade and wait for the next.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
FredP
FredP began at the beginning.

Device: Clie SJ20/U
Any problems?

Is anybody running into any problems with iSilo 4.0?
Advert
Old 10-20-2003, 02:51 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Have you noticed a large reduction in your filesizes when using lossy compression for channels that contain pictures? If so, which handheld do you use?

I'm a bit concerned that you mention the faster the handheld bit. I'm still on a NR70v and really don't want to upgrade only to notice a speed hit. Sounds like I should skip this upgrade and wait for the next.

Thanks for your reply.
Hey Griff! The lossy compression is one of my favorite new additions as well. Filesize can be reduced a lot depending on how many pictures your source contains (for instance, Slate was reduced by more than 1/2).

The lossy compression ratio itself does not depend on your handheld speed. Only the decompression later in the iSilo viewer is less noticeable the faster your handheld processor. That said, your Clie NR70v should be more than sufficient to display the images smoothly. I still have an old 33Mhz N760C (overclocked to 42Mhz, I admit), and although the lossy compression is noticeable, it is not hurting the flow of my reading.

On upgrades: I just checked iSilo web page and it does not seem that you are restricted to a time period for upgrading your 3.x license. So why don't you wait with the 4.x development until you find a feature useful enough to upgrade?
Old 10-20-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
Griff
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Alexander...I'm glad that it doesn't seem that noticeable on your handheld, and therefore wouldn't on mine.

I will wait to see what else comes, if something else comes. I saw 4 came out the other day and I'm not sure if there will be more development or not...just have to wait and see.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
From my experience, the release cycle of iSilo looks like this:
V4.x b1: major release update with new features
V4.x b2:
V4.x bx: b2...bx contain fixes for the new features - but no additionally new features are added until final is out

This is why you don't see any other new features in iSilo V4.0 Final other than those that were introduced in V4.0 Beta 1. Now, that iSilo V4.0 is final, you can expect the next beta to contain new, yet unseen features.

Hope I made this somewhat clear
Old 10-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #9
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Where do I get fonts for isilo 4.0?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
Griff
Enthusiast

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. I have to admit the release notes through the beta were a bit different than I am used to...thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'll look for the new betas of 4.1 or whatever it'll be called...hopefully there'll be something in there I need.