Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Ipad Owner got a Nook Color for my gal, browsing experience similar?

Hello all, I was hoping I may get some constructive feedback.

Just a quick background. I have been into ereaders since Sony's first Reader. I have upgraded to the iPad as I felt utilizing iBooks plus the infinite added features vs a single use device, and being able to read at night without a lamp clipped to my reader gave me precisely what I was looking for plus so much more when the whole idea of Readers got introduced a few years back.

Having said that, last year, before iPads and Tablets were official, I had my girlfriend look at a PRS-300. She wasn't interested in reading books on a device at that time. Since I've gotten my iPad, she has on occassion asked to use it for web browsing. She also mentioned she would love to have one for Christmas, but it cost WAY too much for her, and she does not want me to spend that kind of money on her....she would rather it be spent on a ring (hint hint) She is not the technology nut that I am by any stretch, but she is slowly getting there. After telling her to get a smartphone for the longest time, and her saying it's not that importasnt, this year she broke down and got an LG Ally.

So I started seeing the Nook Color ads, also saw it was rooted, and that there are updates coming along with B&N opening an app store (Why no Android Market?) I see this as a lot of potential, basically an iPad alternative. So knowing Ereaders tend to be hot around the holidays and sell out fairly easily, I went to my local store last night and purchased one.

So for those who now own one, or may know someone slowly integrating this technology into their daily lives, a few questions if you don't mind answering impartially.

How is the surfing experience?

Could you see yourself using this for web-surfing primarily using your laptops and computers a lot less?

Are the Magazines interactive? IE. Videos, different effects put in

Is this EXTREMELY easy to learn and use?

Having posted what I did, would you say it was a good idea to get this for her, or should I just return it and get her an iPod Touch?

Thanks in advance for any
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
bbz_Ghost
bbz_Ghost doesn't litterbbz_Ghost doesn't litter

Device: Considering a Nook Color...
Try looking over the Engadget review of the Nook Color sometime, and definitely watch the video. While I never can figure out how Josh Topolsky got that job (he's truly a techno weenie and clueless at the same time, weird), he does a somewhat half-decent job of showing off most of the features in a quarter-decent way.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/nook-color-review/
bbz_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would say that the NC is adequate for web-surfing. No more, no less. I don't think I'm being biased when I say that it is an inferior experience when comparing it to the ipad. But the ipad cost $250+ more for a reason. When comparing it to an ipod touch, the only advantage the NC has is the larger screen size. But all that could change once the NC gets updated.

As of today, no way would I use it as my primary web surfer. It's zooming method alone would have me pulling my hair out. But I wouldn't use my iphone as a primary either due to the much smaller screen size. That said, If I had to choose between the ipod touch and the NC, I'd definitely go with the NC. It has more screen real estate than the the ipod touch and there's plenty of room for improvement when it comes to web surfing. Its also very good at playing music and properly formatted videos which is also a plus.

Last edited by Tess89; 12-01-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
The web-surfing is okay, there should be some shortcuts that are always visible on the screen (instead of being on top so you have to scroll up). It is pretty fast though for a mobile/tablet device (comparable to iPad).

A better/alternative browser would help.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Nook Color does not support websites that use Adobe Flash. But then again, neither does the iPad
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
web surfing is pretty solid, though you aren't going to have that same buttery smoothness you have with the iPad,

It should support Flash in the next upcoming update.

but with a solid wi fi connection, pages load up very fast, scrolling is good not as nice as the iPad but still good none the less.
It does a very good job IMHO
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Karinfhd
Karinfhd began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
From a girl who has both an ipod touch and a NC, I prefer the NC.I love the screen size.It makes a big difference when browsing the web and reading books.It isn't quite as smooth on zooming as the ipod touch but the touch is so little that it drives me crazy surfing the web.The nookcolor is pretty simple to use not as easy as the itunes set up--like I have been trying to get movies on my NC and for the life of me I can't figure it out even when I think I am doing it right with handbrake.??But you sound like you know how to do tech stuff so you could show her.I think she would be impressed with it and with you . I like the size of it-can fit it in my purse and not feel too weighed down and it doesn't draw as much attention as having an ipad. I like the book-size of it. Just my perspective after owning it for two weeks.
Karinfhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
No Android Market because the reason why they can afford to only charge $250 per unit is because they want to sell you their content - that's where they make the money. Can't really have you installing Kindle and Zinio on there unfortunately. Plus they would have needed to add a camera and gps, a bit more in costs, and B&N doesn't seem ready to become a tablet maker yet
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
bbz_Ghost
bbz_Ghost doesn't litterbbz_Ghost doesn't litter

Device: Considering a Nook Color...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
... B&N doesn't seem ready to become a tablet maker yet
But that's exactly what the Nook Color is, when you break it down to the capabilities it offers, and especially with the root now available for those that choose to implement it, the Nook Color has just turned into an Android tablet and will only get better as time goes by.

This could be what B&N had in mind the whole time... but some folks are just impatient, you realize.
bbz_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
ypocaramel
Connoisseur

Being a tablet maker doesn't just mean giving you tablet class hardware. It also means embracing the concept and providing you with the software support or the ability to support tablet software, preferably with an eye to developing the platform. Sure, they couldn't care too much if you rooted it, since they're probably not losing money per unit and getting more units in circulation means more publicity and more content sales (unless everyone installs Kindle), but selling tablets isn't a sustainable business model for B&N either. Unlike Samsung, who wants the Tab to be a real moneymaker, and Apple, who makes money from the iPads themselves and software sales for the tablet. The Nook app store might change things, who knows, but it's not there yet.

If NOOKcolor didn't promote content sales, I doubt they could give you this kind of hardware at $250 and remain profit-making.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
That said, If I had to choose between the ipod touch and the NC, I'd definitely go with the NC.
If I had to choose between the iPod touch, iPad, Galaxy Tab, or Nook Color; I'd choose the Nook - it's only $250.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Now that my nook color is rooted, I find that Dolphin HD browser makes the web experience much better than the standard browser. I much prefer the pinch zoom to the + and - one.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
ypocaramel
Connoisseur

Dolphin HD probably is better; but I just confirmed about:debug works on the stock NC browser without rooting so you can choose to identify as Android, Desktop and iPhone. In case you wanted mobile sites by default; too bad there's no iPad setting (there is on Dolphin).
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Now that my nook color is rooted, I find that Dolphin HD browser makes the web experience much better than the standard browser. I much prefer the pinch zoom to the + and - one.
very cool looking forward to your reports on your rooted NC.

PCWorld or Mag just ran an article this morning of the buying potential a rooted Nook Color could have on people who normally wouldn't buy an ereader.

Hopefully Barnes and Noble will say "no rooting" with a wink and a nod
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
very cool looking forward to your reports on your rooted NC.

PCWorld or Mag just ran an article this morning of the buying potential a rooted Nook Color could have on people who normally wouldn't buy an ereader.

Hopefully Barnes and Noble will say "no rooting" with a wink and a nod
Well, so far it is doing exactly what I wanted it to. I wanted to stick with the standard nook color interface, and just sideload a few extra apps for fun.

I'm really enjoying the extra functions! Unfortunately, my nook color is now safely packed away until December 25th. It is my Christmas present after all (I did get permission to hack it first though)
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote