Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My free iPad Weight Loss Plan, anyone want to join?

I picked up one of these on an impulse at the drug store and just spent a pleasant half hour reading and cycling at home. What fun! This inexpensive gizmo basically turns any chair into a compact recumbent exercise bike. I found the larger size of the iPad (compared to the Kindle) clocked the distracting motion of my legs and helped me zone out so I could enjoy my book and not be counting the seconds on my workout. So I thought I would see how much of this biking I could manage over the next month and see if it leads to any weight loss.

So here is my iPad Weight Loss Plan. Anyone want in?

YOU NEED:

- Any piece of home fitness equipment, ranging from this $20 mini-bike on up depending on what you have or want

- an iPad, obviously

- a reading app such as iBooks, Stanza, Kindle etc. and content for it

- A media app such as YouTube or Netflix and content for it

COSTS:

- Minimum is $20 for the mini-bike, and that's it. You can get free books on iBooks (or from various other sources) or use books you have already, and you can get free media from apps like iTunes (podcasts), NPR, YouTube etc.

- Of course you could go fancy and spend more. I spent about $30 on the model of bike thingy the store had, and I am subscribing to Netflix at a cost of $7.99 per month

THE PLAN:

There are two components to the plan. One is a morning strength workout, two is a morning cardio workout.

THE STRENGTH WORKOUT:

For the strength workout, you have two options.

1) A workout dvd
2) Free workouts on YouTube

For the workout dvd option, choose a well-rounded two-day rotation and use computer software to transfer it into the iPad for easy playing.

For the YouTube option, the sky is the limit but you can start with the free ten-minute workouts from SparkPeople. There is the New You Bootcamp, the 7-Day Swimsuit Bootcamp and others.

THE CARDIO WORKOUT:

Every evening, have some 'me time' and kick back with a book, a movie or both. The catch is, you may not read or watch unless you are on the cardio machine. You can stay at a low intensity and go for sheer duration, or you can kick it and cut the workout short. But THOU SHALT NOT READ OR WATCH UNLESS THOU IS ON THY MACHINE.

So this is my plan Anyone want to join me?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I tried reading books/articles while doing workouts at the gym, but in the end I had to stop.. I loose too much blood to the brain, so I can't remember half of it..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Could do with one of those under my desk at work!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I have a training bike in the bedroom and sometimes use it while I hold the iPad for reading. Works pretty good, allthough I have to say that I would urgently need some iPad holder that attaches to the bike. Once I start sweating I have to lay the iPad on the side so I can use my towel to get rid of the sweat
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I watch TV on the iPad when exercising (treadmill), rather than trying to read, I think it would give me headaches trying to concentrate on the text while moving.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
lazyartist
lazyartist began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad is my only Computer :)
I tried doing that with one of those exercise bikes where you are basically lounging back instead of leaning forward like you would on a normal 10 speed. I ended up giving the bike away since it was very hard to read or watch videos while pedaling in that awkward position.
lazyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Thats not really new ... maybe you should try out this neat little invention called audiobooks ...

3 years ago when i was 32 i was one of those typical early 30th office junkies to fat to weak.

One morning after christmas time woke up at 5 a.m. i drove to town, i bought myself

1 iPod Nano
1 subsciption to audible
1 threadmill
1 Polar pulse watch

In 4 month i went from 92kg to 70kg (in the meantime i was nearly eating the same stuff then before) then began to build up weight in gym to 75kg and now i run marathons, run at least 1 hour in the morning every day excapt sundays, 3 times a week doing ninjitsu and krav maga ...

Yeah it all began with audiobooks but to do it right it will need one much much much more important thing ... your will to change ^^
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote