Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #916
OrientalReader
OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Anyone interested in reading CreepyPasta? I created some epubs from creepypastas, i used Pocket and fetch news calibre plugin to create them. These epubs are readable but need some modifications, I am lousy at such works!
If anyone is interested in this please leave me a message.
OrientalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #917
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What are "creepypastas"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #918
OrientalReader
OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What are "creepypastas"?
They are urban legend-type horror stories going on internet. There are some really scary stories out there.
Check out this wikia page.
http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Cr...Creepypasta%3F
Read the Candle Cove, one of the best. http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Candle_Cove
Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #919
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are these in the public domain? If not, you need to have the permission of the copyright holder to republish them.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #920
OrientalReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are these in the public domain? If not, you need to have the permission of the copyright holder to republish them.
I searched the wikia site about copyright and it seems uploading those file isn't the wisest idea that occurred to me.
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #921
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I am currently working on correcting all the Thorne Smith books. With the help of the fine people at the "Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation & Fantasy" which is part of the Toronto Public Library, I am photographing all the Smith books. Scanners are not allowed (and many of the books would not survive if I tried) but they are allowing me to photograph all the pages of every book. I originally started to do this because I wanted to get all the illustration to the books. NO ebook that I've been able to find has them and they add a lot to the books. I quickly found that all the ebooks that I've looked at have many errors when compared to the paper books. Paragraphs (usually short) that are joined. Less common are paragraphs that have been run together. There are strange mixtures of English and North American usage which leads me to conclude that the original files were from a British edition. I am using whatever paper copy I have as correct. I'm also indicating which edition I've used.

I should have the first of the books uploaded soon. It's Dream's End which I have never seen posted anywhere (but I have seen for sale.)
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #922
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds interesting. I must admit that he's an author I hadn't previously heard of.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #923
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Plato mutlilingual dialogue

Hi,

I'm working on a multilingual version of Plato's second Alcibiades...

Currently with just interlinks between versions (english, greek, latin, 2 french translation, german, spanish).

Is there a place to put it, like a sandbox where people could tell me what to improve?

Also interested in similar examples...

Thanks

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #924
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Is there a place to put it, like a sandbox where people could tell me what to improve?
Hmm... maybe the Workshop forum.

Quote:
Also interested in similar examples...
La divina commedia.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #925
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
@Jellby:

About multilingual books...
Have your read this post http://idpf.org/forum/topic-1389

about the current draft:
http://www.idpf.org/epub/renditions/multiple/

Cheers

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #926
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Lawrence, T.E.: Seven Pillars of Wisdom illustrations

I have been working on the line drawings and maps in "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T. E. Lawrence. I tried the epub version by HarryT on my Aura HD and the illustrations were far too small to view comfortably. I looked around for replacement images on the web and was only able to find photos of a couple of the maps and the images in the HTML version at gutenberg.net.au, which looks to be the source for HarryT's images. I contacted gutenberg.net.au and was informed that they have no other resolutions, and do not know of any.

I tried doubling the resolution of the images, but the JPEG artifacts and low resolution made that unworkable, so I obtained 1200dpi 8 bit scans of the line drawings and maps and got to work on making the best figures I could for a number of resolutions to match readers of interest to me. The larger versions are also suitable to use for reference on tablets, notebooks, or desktops while reading the text on an e-reader. This included stretching the contrast, converting to 1 bit, erasing specks, filling in gaps, and shrinking to various sized 4 bit images. I hope to convince HarryT to select one of my image sets to replace the maps and line drawings in his version of the book. Then I would like to upload the other resolutions to a post in the thread for the book so that people can customize the book to suit their device and taste or download as reference images.

PNG has a number of clear advantages over JPEG for this type of image and the dimensions of the Project Gutenberg / HarryT images are small, even for a 600x800 pixel display. (They are fine for the common pixel densities of 2001 when the Gutenberg version was produced, and not bad on a 100dpi display, provided you don't actually want to be able to read all the text on the maps.) The figures and maps in the book have the same width as the text in the book, so it would be consistent for them to use the full width of the reader screen, less the text margins. (On smaller screens, I think the maps should get full portrait width.)

There is also the matter of the "Forced Landing" figure. In the book, the figure is split onto facing pages, but the left figure is lower on the page. I believe the web page and epub should show the right image above the left image instead of the current order. While working on this figure, I noticed that the 3 flowers in the upper right of the camel image match those on the lower left of the other one (more evidence that the camel image is meant to be below). So, I have made versions of the figure as a single image. The version at the same scale as the Gutenberg / HarryT images fits on a 600 pixel wide screen.

I have made PNGs of each map and line drawing at the original scale, ans sized for screens 600, 758, 820, 1000, 1250, and 1550 pixels wide in portrait orientation and used them to replace the maps and line drawings in copies of the original epub. I only made the original size images for comparing size and other properties. They looked very nice on a Story HD (758), Onyx M92 (820), Nook HD (820), Aura HD (1000), Nook HD+ (1250), and borrowed Note 10.1 and Ipad retina (1550). Now we get to a point where I may need to open threads on the workshop and/or epub forum. When oversize images are present, some devices shrink the image, some crop it, and others display garbage. Also, the Aura HD reader could not display a 4 bit PNG with color present along with black and white. It also degraded 4 bit grayscale only images (full white parts of the image were darker than full white). Most devices handled the 4 bit images fine and the 8 bit images use far more bytes than the 4 bit images.

All that is needed to substitute my images for the original images is unzip and zip or anything with equivalent functionality. No epub specific tools or epub knowledge are required. If HarryT changes to PNG for maps and line drawings, it is almost trivial. If not, it is a bit more complicated. Many devices do not care about the details of image file names and rely on content.opf or the contents of the image file itself to determine file type. Some even cope with an incorrect content.opf. I have separate zip files for maps and drawings. Each has its images in a directory named images. When https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78198 is updated to use PNG, all that is needed is to copy the epub to say, SPoW0820w.epub in some working directory that also has the zip files, then:

unzip SPoW0820w_ld
unzip SPoW0820w_map
zip -ru SPoW0820w.epub images

For the current version of the epub, the images need to be renamed from png to jpg and content.opf may or may not need to have the media-type changed for the new images. For strict correctness, instead of renaming the images, content.opf and the referring html files would need to be edited, which would be a bit much to expect each downloader to be able and willing to do.

I gather that it might be possible to use large images and use the HTML to direct that they be scaled to fit the screen, but that is more project than I can or care to take on at this time.

The gutenberg.net.au version is at: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100111h.html

I am attaching a modified content.opf

I'm sure there is much I have left out, and equally sure I have rambled on too long.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (22.1 KB, 528 views)

Last edited by j.p.s; 09-14-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: removed zip files
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #927
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Hey, this would be great. I'm currently reading the book and finding a good supply of OCR errors ("Ah" for "Ali", "Me" for "life"...). Maybe we can get a nice version after all.

However, if these illustrations are those by Eric Henri Kennington, note that he died in 1960 and therefore are not appropriate for upload to this site (not until 2031).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #928
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Hey, this would be great. I'm currently reading the book and finding a good supply of OCR errors ("Ah" for "Ali", "Me" for "life"...). Maybe we can get a nice version after all.
I am not doing any text proofreading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
However, if these illustrations are those by Eric Henri Kennington, note that he died in 1960 and therefore are not appropriate for upload to this site (not until 2031).
I've removed the zips. The maps are by E. O. McIntosh and I can find no information.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #929
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
When using maps a GIF image is a good image format to use and supported on more platforms. A 4 bit gif works fine while a 4 bit PNG is problematic. PNG was started back when GIF was still patented but that is no longer the case.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #930
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Anyone here who’s better at searching the web than me? Come on, say yes.

I’ve been looking, without success, for Reviews, by Oscar Wilde, from the first Collected Edition of his Works, Methuen & Co. 1908, pp. xvi + 555. According to Stuart Mason’s Bibliography it should be volume XIII, but it’s often misnumbered.

Can anybody help?
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote