Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
**edited**

Last edited by Zanshin; 05-12-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: wrong info (cm/mm)
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
TallMomof2 and dcross9818,

Where have you found the Asus keyboard/dock available?
I just bought my tablet this morning (thank you nowinstock.net!!),
but I haven't been able to find the keyboard.

Thanks,
Eric
Mine's coming from AmericanTV. If you can't find it with nowinstock.net go to XDA and there are a couple of threads that people are posting real time availability for the dock. That's how I found out about AmericanTV. Mine's on the UPS truck and should be here Friday.

BTW, Asus has released a private fix for the dock and it's supposed to be widely available soon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
BTW, Asus has released a private fix for the dock and it's supposed to be widely available soon.
Thanks for your reply. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the dock fix for?
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There have been widespread reports of wifi disconnections, trackpad problems and lockups. From what I've read the update fixes that plus adds a battery indicator for the dock.

Asus is amazing, the programmers are interacting with users at XDA and solving problems. I've always been very happy with their motherboards and even own an all-in-one PC from them which is perfect for the kids.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #20
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
That is one of the reasons I felt confident ordering a Transformer. Asus is consistently at the top or close to it, in customer satisfaction and build quality of their computers. I would imagine this will carry over into their tablets.
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs
TallMomof2 and dcross9818,

Where have you found the Asus keyboard/dock available?
I just bought my tablet this morning (thank you nowinstock.net!!),
but I haven't been able to find the keyboard.

Thanks,
Eric
And mine came from Amazon. I ordered both the tablet and the dock April 26th at 11:20 EST. They've filled my order for the dock, but I am still waiting for the tablet.

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #22
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Quote:
The TF comes with an ebook app that will do split pages in landscape mode. I haven't played with it yet, darn work gets in the way but from what I've read the app supports epub.
Hi! Have you managed to test the ebook software yet? I am buying the Transformer mainly to read ebooks (pdfs) and I will want to do some copy & pasting and note-taking. Is there an ebook application which makes this easy? I have no experience of Android.

Thank you!

savethebutterfly
Old 05-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrayman View Post
That is one of the reasons I felt confident ordering a Transformer. Asus is consistently at the top or close to it, in customer satisfaction and build quality of their computers. I would imagine this will carry over into their tablets.
i thought so too, but after 2 tf's and all the posts on xda i'm surprised at the low build quality of the tf.

i'm most likely taking mine back this week or early next week. so if anyone's interested in a dock and sleeve i may have one up for sale soon - can't return either of them b/c of TOS. if i sell i'd prefer to sell to someone who'll use it instead of a reseller since these are pretty hard to find... and no, i won't over sell, it'll actually be under retail.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

madsquabbles,

I sent you a PM about the Asus keyboard dock.

Regards,
Eric
Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebutterfly View Post
Hi! Have you managed to test the ebook software yet? I am buying the Transformer mainly to read ebooks (pdfs) and I will want to do some copy & pasting and note-taking. Is there an ebook application which makes this easy? I have no experience of Android.

Thank you!

savethebutterfly
I made a separate post concerning the Asus TF reading app but it works okay. There are a ton of Android PDF apps. My favorite is EZPDF but I don't know of any that support note taking. Doesn't mean that it's not available.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #26
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Quote:
I made a separate post concerning the Asus TF reading app but it works okay. There are a ton of Android PDF apps. My favorite is EZPDF but I don't know of any that support note taking. Doesn't mean that it's not available.
Thank you, I have found it, and thank you for your comments. EZPDF looks really good, especially the highlighting feature. Can't wait for my Transformer to try it out!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

IMO, the screen on the Asus is better. I also really like the keyboard dock, it's like having an Android netbook with a touchscreen.

For just the tablet Acer costs more, I think ~$50.00 US.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
i thought so too, but after 2 tf's and all the posts on xda i'm surprised at the low build quality of the tf.

i'm most likely taking mine back this week or early next week. so if anyone's interested in a dock and sleeve i may have one up for sale soon - can't return either of them b/c of TOS. if i sell i'd prefer to sell to someone who'll use it instead of a reseller since these are pretty hard to find... and no, i won't over sell, it'll actually be under retail.
I guess I am the only one who heard you have gone through 2 of these and still find it lacking - especially in the build-quality dept. Considering how much it will be carried around, I cannot tolerate poor physical quality.

Was considering this device but having reservations. What about it do you find lacking exactly plz?
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #29
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I guess I am the only one who heard you have gone through 2 of these and still find it lacking - especially in the build-quality dept. Considering how much it will be carried around, I cannot tolerate poor physical quality.

Was considering this device but having reservations. What about it do you find lacking exactly plz?
if you check xda you'll see the common build quality issues. not everyone has them.

1 - right speaker louder than left. unknown if software or hardware. i didn't notice balance problems when hooked up to headphones so it may be hardware.

2 - creaky, separating frame. the edges start to separate and become "squishy." in one case the guy's tf actually split apart. he glued it back.

3 - excessive light bleed. it doesn't affect average normal use, but my normal use is in the dark with a black b/g so i see all the time and it's hard to unsee it.

4 - gaps in frame. there is a little gap that is present on the left and top on some units.

5 - unresponsive screen. sometimes it took multiple taps for the tf to register a touch. it made the xoom feel faster b/c i could just touch lightly on the xoom to respond to my touch (i went through 4 xooms - 2 defects - 2 b/c i couldn't make up my mind, lol). this could be fixed with a software update.

these are the main ones i read about and were present in 2 transformers.

Last edited by madsquabbles; 05-19-2011 at 07:59 AM.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
ebsebs
Connoisseur

Mrgauth,

I just read madsquabbles latest post about the build quality issues he had - that's too bad.
I've had my Transformer for about a week now and haven't seen any of the problems he mentioned.
I hope that means that Asus is sorting out the manufacturing issues.

So far, I'm very satisfied with my Transformer. In fact, I bought the keyboard dock and case from madsquabbles - it should arrive today.

I am having a great time exploring the Android Market for the "best" ereader and video player apps, as well as a few games, too.

Tags
android, asus transformer, honeycomb