Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Regex Help - Add Book - Insert Filename into Custom Field

Hi All:

I am trying to just rename my ebok files that Amazon's uses in it's Kindle for PC software. I have searched the forum but I cannot see any posts to help me accomplish what I want. All I want to do is when adding the book to calibre to insert the current filename into a custom field so that when I save these same files back to the disk they will be renamed with their original Amazon filename along with the author and title from calibre. Is something like this possible for a regex dummy like me, my custom field name is #filename??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
All I want to do is when adding the book to calibre to insert the current filename into a custom field so that when I save these same files back to the disk they will be renamed with their original Amazon filename along with the author and title from calibre. Is something like this possible for a regex dummy like me, my custom field name is #filename??
No, it's not possible, at least not easily based on your sig. However:

1) You'll have to turn off read metadata from file contents in Preferences Adding Books to get access to the filename (unless it's in the book metadata already).
2) You'll see there a list of standard fields you can send data into. You can't send data from the filename directly into a custom field.
3) You could send the complete filename into one of those standard fields, but that will interfere with sending the correct title/author into their fields
4) If you send the complete filename into a field, you can fix 3) by doing a search and replace to parse out the metadata you need from the field with the filename. While doing that S&R, you can send the filename into your custom field.

That's how I'd approach it.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-12-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
So there isn't an easy way to send it to a standard field without turning off the read metadata feature? If at all possible I need the author, title and filename, everything else is irrelevant. I am just trying to find an easier way to rename the files so that I can match up my mbp files from my kindle with the books in k4pc. I am ok with using a standard field because I will be using an empty library to accomplish this so it will not be messing up anything in my library.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
So there isn't an easy way to send it to a standard field without turning off the read metadata feature?
You can read metadata from the file, or parse the filename for the metadata. Those are the two options and they are mutually exclusive. If you need the filename, you can't read metadata from inside the file.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote