Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #46
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I don't know what's going to happen in the long run with the Sony readers, but since they're going to become a bit more scarce (and because they ARE still great readers), I just picked up a PRS-T1 to upgrade from my PRS-650, plus got a lighted case for it for $12.99 at FutureShop (they're clearing those out - get 'em quick!).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #47
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Anyone know where I can buy a back-up Sony 650
Ebay, Pawn shops (but you'll have to buy a battery). Also, check the electronic stores to see if they still have stock available. I'm not sure what all is available in the UK, but if you have local online advertising, you could try that. We have Craigslist here for that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #48
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just an observation--I have a 650 that I bought when they first came out in September 2010. I used it daily up until I bought my KPW2 in October and I still continue to use the 650 on a regular basis. The battery doesn't last as long between charges as it did when I first purchased it, but I still get a good two to three weeks on a charge. So, you may not need to get a new battery, at least for awhile.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #49
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
T2 Backup to my PRS-650

Just bought a new PRS-T2 as a backup to my PRS-650. Also bought the lighted case. Should be enough to ride out the coming shake up. Looks to me like the survivors will be Amazon and Kobo (because of their Rakuten connection), but now I can wait and see.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #50
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I might get a backup (although I do have three working Sony Readers already), but it will have to wait until March as I'm currently in Europe.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #51
lovestoread
lovestoread has learned how to read e-bookslovestoread has learned how to read e-bookslovestoread has learned how to read e-bookslovestoread has learned how to read e-bookslovestoread has learned how to read e-bookslovestoread has learned how to read e-bookslovestoread has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
I love my PRST1, it's in great condition and I hope it lasts for many years - but I won't buy any backup Sony e-readers now before they disappear, I want a product that will be "update-able" and supported by customer service... I guess I'll be buying a small tablet since that seems to be the way to go.
lovestoread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #52
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoread View Post
I love my PRST1, it's in great condition and I hope it lasts for many years - but I won't buy any backup Sony e-readers now before they disappear, I want a product that will be "update-able" and supported by customer service... I guess I'll be buying a small tablet since that seems to be the way to go.
I considered the small tablets, as I love the weight and size of my dad's iPad mini, but I wasn't satisfied with the screen for reading. I'll have to give the new iPad mini retina a look. I'm pretty happy with my Kobo Aura HD as it has a fantastic screen, but I much preferred the Sony Reader firmware and the ergonomics of their Readers. Maybe I'll give Pocketbook a look next.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #53
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I love reading on my iPad mini retina! I was looking forward to the Mini for a long time and was really disappointed when the first model did not have the retina screen because the resolution was too low for me to read comfortably. It's great that it syncs so easily with my Kindle & Nook eink readers and my phone. It's nice to have all your books on one device regardless of source or format. Also there are some great reading apps like Marvin and GoodReader.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #54
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I love reading on my iPad mini retina! I was looking forward to the Mini for a long time and was really disappointed when the first model did not have the retina screen because the resolution was too low for me to read comfortably. It's great that it syncs so easily with my Kindle & Nook eink readers and my phone. It's nice to have all your books on one device regardless of source or format. Also there are some great reading apps like Marvin and GoodReader.
I am very tempted to get an iPad mini retina - I'm unsure whether I would like the smaller size of the mini retina or the larger screen of the Air more. I have an iPad 2 (which I'll be giving to my husband), and I don't read fiction on it, only academic reading (PDFs, journal articles). I do think that it would be nice to have all my reading on one device, and I love the size of the mini. I only worry that the screen would be too small for PDFs and marking up articles that I'm working on. I haven't yet seen either the Air or retina mini in person yet, that will have to wait another two weeks.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have an iPad 4 also. It is better for magazines and newspapers. Although I find I use the Mini the majority of the time now. Sounds like the full size might be better for you. What I do for my PDF documentation is crop the margins using GoodReader and then that makes them ok to read on the Mini. Depends on the font size of the articles you are reading and what your eyes need to read it comfortably. I was using the iPad 4 for reading non-fiction in landscape 2-column mode, but it is heavy for me. We also have an iPad Air in our house, and the light weight is really impressive. I think you'd really like the Air compared to the iPad 2!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #56
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I have had an iPad (3rd gen) with retina for about a year and a half now, but I still prefer reading on my eReaders as I find the eInk is fair less of a strain on my eyes. When you work on a computer all day at work, the last thing you want to look at for any extended period is more computer screens. The weight of the iPad doesn't bother me at all - I prefer my devices to be heavier so that they "stay" in my hands better.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #57
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I already got my backup 350s long ago. I purchased a 2nd new silver one when the T1s came out, I was that disappointed in the T1s.

And when I found a couple of used navy blue 350s that I managed to get, I also got 2 more silver used readers extremely cheap just to have spare parts, like $35 each. And it was a good thing I did, one of the blue ones had a really badly damaged screen... not only scratches but an actual gouge on the glass. I'm surprised whatever caused it didn't break the screen, but it still worked perfectly.

I keep my readers in pristine condition with covers, so the scratches alone bugged me, but that gouge had to go and I swapped one of the cheap used silver screens and put it into the blue shell, so it's like new.

So yeah, I've got my backups!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #58
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
New black T2s are down to $79 at Tiger Direct. I couldn't pass it up that price (even if they don't have my preferred red ones in stock) so I have my backup T2 coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
And when I found a couple of used navy blue 350s that I managed to get, I also got 2 more silver used readers extremely cheap just to have spare parts, like $35 each. And it was a good thing I did, one of the blue ones had a really badly damaged screen... not only scratches but an actual gouge on the glass. I'm surprised whatever caused it didn't break the screen, but it still worked perfectly.

So yeah, I've got my backups!
That's dedication!

Love my silver 350 too, but I want a blue version too. I've been scouting out ebay for a while now. They come up for auction so rarely, but one of these days I'll score one!

I sent my pink 350 to my niece's 11 year old daughter who's both a hardcore reader and pink fan. Perfect match.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #59
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
Anyone ever considered freezing the battery ?

In theory what degrades batteries are the chemical reactions within, so freezing should halt that.

For regular rechargable batteries there are even special freezing packs (that dont let air circulate so u dont end up killing the battery with humidity).

So as far as I know the way to keep the battery alive to use in some years would be keeping it frozen in a well-sealed package. Ow and of course when the time to use comes... wait it to unfreeze to use (cause a frozen battery does not reacts much chemically so it does not output much charge).
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #60
tegelad
tegelad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo elipse2e, sage, libra2, forma amazon oasis3, scribe, boox ult c
I have dual PRS-950's that I am using (with one of them still covered by insurance so if it gets damaged/dies it will be the $$$ for the next eReader. I plan to use whatever unit I have as backup parts for the other (presuming insurance stuff expires ...

I then have everything stripped, and in Calibre to port over to the Kindle DX if/when that is needed. So at this point I am going on a book buying binge for the PRS-950's and queueing them up for the final read down. I figure by the time both of them die, I should be ready for a new reader (or I will just live with the Kindle DX ....)

+-ADT
tegelad is offline   Reply With Quote