Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Trends in ebook prices

In 2012 the justice department filed a lawsuit against several major book publishers and Apple accusing them of price collusion to raise book prices. Since that time have you seen any trends in ebook prices?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, since you're asking:
http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013...est-level-yet/
Quote:
When it comes to ebook pricing in the post-Department of Justice era, the commentators mostly got it wrong. It’s not a race to the bottom; it’s a race to the middle.

Now that retailers can set prices at will for all but two publishers (Random House and Penguin — though they will join their competitors soon), they’ve lowered prices slowly and strategically, just as Digital Book World predicted a year ago.

Ebooks priced above $10 are starting to disappear from the best-seller list for all but the newest, biggest books. Even the $9.99 price band, which was the most popular among consumers just six months ago, has fallen out of favor. Now, most ebooks that people are buying fall into the $3.00 to $7.99 range. Some 13 such titles appear on the best-seller list this week; that’s 52% of the list.
To the surprise of nobody who actually bothered to look at the numbers, the sweet spot for ebook profitability lies in the $2.99-7.99 range, not in the $9.99-14.99 range. Which is to say, sub-paperback pricing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I wish they'd separate out indy published ebooks from trad published ebooks when they do price summaries, because I've rarely seen a trad published ebook below $6.99, and that's definitely the high end for indy books.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
As a voracious reader, I'm definitely in favor of lower ebook prices. Unfortunately, for the books I'm interested in, I haven't seen as much of a price reduction as I'd been led to believe would take place. I still have an Amazon wish list of books whose ebook prices are - to me personally - overpriced, with the highest being a T.C. Boyle short story collection at $17.99, and none of the prices have budged. In fact a nonfiction history book by Susan Wise Bauer recently jumped about $6. These publishers could be getting more of my money than they are.

For example, I'm reading American Colonies by Alan Taylor right now. I reluctantly checked the - gasp!- physical book out of the library (it is a frikkin' doorstop!), after months of waiting for the ebook ($15.99) to come down in price. My library doesn't have it in ebook format. I would've paid up to $10 or maybe even broken my own rule and gone up to $12 for this particular title, given that is a nonfiction book that required much research, is rather lengthy, and is highly acclaimed. Still, it was also released 11 years ago, so $16 is too high.That's probably lost revenue for Penguin and Amazon, though I may buy the book after I read it (if it comes down in price), to have a copy for myself and to support the author and encourage similar books to be written and published.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
At least for the books that I primarily read (non-fiction historical books), there has definitely not been a downward trend. In fact, the opposite is true a lot of times. I am following some prices on ereaderiq and the price of a lot of my books have gone up a dollar or two. Some as much as $8. Those books will not be brought until the price comes down to a reasonable price. I think for non-fiction books $10 is a good price. For the longer ones, I can see a more expensive price, but there is no way that I am going to spend $18 for a 323 page book.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I've seen an upward price trend with fiction titles too. New releases of "name" authors seem to be priced between $12.99 to $14.99. I understand that new releases are commonly priced higher, but even after a year many titles still cost more than $9.99, US prices.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I've seen an upward price trend with fiction titles too. New releases of "name" authors seem to be priced between $12.99 to $14.99. I understand that new releases are commonly priced higher, but even after a year many titles still cost more than $9.99, US prices.
Might those be Penguin or RH titles? They are still under Agency until the merger finalizes.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Might those be Penguin or RH titles? They are still under Agency until the merger finalizes.
I didn't make the connection until just now, but yes, the authors I've just checked are all Penguin or Random House.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I didn't make the connection until just now, but yes, the authors I've just checked are all Penguin or Random House.
Thought so; those are typical Agency "bargains".
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I know this is a little off the subject but has anyone announced what the combined Random House and Penguin company will be called? Have they picked between the Random Penguin or perhaps the House Penguin?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Randguin or Pendom?
I always thought the when Trailways and Greyhound merged they should have renamed the company Trailhound.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I know this is a little off the subject but has anyone announced what the combined Random House and Penguin company will be called? Have they picked between the Random Penguin or perhaps the House Penguin?
It will be called "Penguin Random House"
Quote:
Bertelsmann said in a statement on Monday 29 October that the new business will be called Penguin Random House. Bertelsmann will own 53% of the new company and will have five representatives on the company’s board. Pearson will own 47% of the company and will have four representatives on the board.
full article
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

They can call it whatever they want but to many of us they'll always be the Random Penguin.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
They already have branch offices in many Major City (Zoos)
Penguin House
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Well, I was recently encouraged by B&N's big sale. They had books in there that I don't think would have been on sale under agency pricing. I got books from Hachette, Macmillan, and S&S, released in the last two years, for $5-$6. In addition to general price drops, I want more sales/more discounts!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote