Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
pearsjd
pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Ipad help

Hi All

I was hoping for some advice. I currently own a 1st gen iPad. It getting very buggy. I'd like to move to something that can handle the newer iOS. I am looking a certified refurb but I'm not sue which one. Money is definately an issue. How old is too old to bother with. I see a lot of Ipad 2 bu will they stay supported for sometime. My kids primarily us it wih interative textbooks, email and some light surfing.

Thank you
Susan
pearsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsjd View Post
Hi All

I was hoping for some advice. I currently own a 1st gen iPad. It getting very buggy. I'd like to move to something that can handle the newer iOS. I am looking a certified refurb but I'm not sue which one. Money is definately an issue. How old is too old to bother with. I see a lot of Ipad 2 bu will they stay supported for sometime. My kids primarily us it wih interative textbooks, email and some light surfing.

Thank you
Susan
I think the iPad 1 was a fluke on the support side. It was Apple's first unit and was under designed for the future. I think Apple had no idea where this would lead. All of the later units are still supported and I still use my Apple 2 but have filled up my 32 G so I have to keep removing things. I would say 32 G is the minimum you need if you are going to keep it for a long time. I would likely go for a iPad mini first generation today if I were to replace mine.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I would recommend an iPad 4 or newer.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I would recommend an iPad Air 2 64gig - it has twice as much working memory (2 GB vs 1 GB) and the 64gig is only $100 more than the 16gig. It also has a better camera and a faster processor than the iPad Air. You can find them used on craigslist for about $500-$550. Used they are about the same price as the iPad Air 1. Slap a $15 fintie slim fit case and you are good to go for several years. I have 2 more iPad 1s to give to schools - they are still useful but not at all supported.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I would recommend an iPad 4 or newer.
I second that. IPad 4 or either version of iPad Air would be the way to go. The iPad 2 and original mini don't have retina displays. Retina displays make reading text a pleasure. (I have an original iPad and an Air and there's a big difference in clarity when reading books.) 32 GB would future proof it, if the price is right. But you can get by with 16 GB if you don't install a ton of games or music and video. For books, email and web surfing 16 GB is fine.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Hard to say for sure, but I would not go lower than the iPad Air or the iPad Mini 2. Those are relatively recent, still in the current lineup, and should receive support for a while still. I don't think Apple sells the iPad 4 any more, unless you can find a refurb. at Apple or a used one on eBay. Still, you might be able to get away with one if you can find one.

(If price is a SUPER important issue... maybe don't aim for an iPad as they are straight out more expensive than other tablets. There may be an Android tablet that you could make good use of if price is absolutely prohibitive.)
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
As you say "money is definately an issue" the 2nd generation iPad may be okay for you. It will take the newest software, iOS 8.1.2. My wife has this model and is quite happy with it.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I also use an iPad 2 full time and love it. It really comes down to what you want to use it for, and what you expect in the future.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The iPad 2 was officially discontinued in March of last year. So I do not believe it will be getting iOS 9.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The iPad 2 was officially discontinued in March of last year. So I do not believe it will be getting iOS 9.
iOS 9??? I though 9 was an unlucky number?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
iOS 9??? I though 9 was an unlucky number?
Unlucky for Microsoft ... that's why Windows skipped from 8 to 10!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There was no iOS 95, so it is a safe number. No apps will get confused.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go for a 32GB ipad 4 or newer refurbished. That would keep you going for long enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
pearsjd
pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm looking at an Ipad 4 refurb. I hope that will stay supported for some time.

Susan
pearsjd is offline   Reply With Quote