Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #2461
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
There is scarcely any peace so unjust, but it is preferable... to the justest war. Sit down, before you draw the sword... and compute the expense of blood as well as treasure which war requires, and the evils which it of necessity brings with it; and then see at the bottom of the account whether, after the greatest success, there is likely to be a balance in your favour.

From The Complaint of Peace by Erasmus
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #2462
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think you mean Andy Weir is hilarious.....
Yeah, you're right. It's not only Mark Watney's character, I find all the characters from Andy Weir's book entertaining (and smart!) to a great degree.
I still have a lot of laugh out loud moments with The Martian. I really love Andy Weir's sense of humor.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 02:28 AM   #2463
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"'Do you love me?' they ask, and, 'I will make you happy!' they say; and you get married - and after that it's Housework!"...

..."Can't a woman enjoy her home, just as a man does, without running the shop? I enjoy ocean travel, but I don't want to be either a captain or a common sailor!"

From What Diantha Did, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, 1909
Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #2464
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

“I was told love should be unconditional. That's the rule, everyone says so. But if love has no boundaries, no limits, no conditions, why should anyone try to do the right thing ever? If I know I am loved no matter what, where is the challenge? I am supposed to love Nick despite all his shortcomings. And Nick is supposed to love me despite my quirks. But clearly, neither of us does. It makes me think that everyone is very wrong, that love should have many conditions. Love should require both partners to be their very best at all times.” - Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #2465
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
"When the blind man arrived in the city, he claimed that he had travelled across a desert of living sand."
—Kevin Brockmeier, A Brief History of the Dead
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #2466
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
(makes me think of this)

THE BEDOUINS OF PARIS

"The city of Paris appeared to a band of Bedouins somewhere out in the Sahara. They were searching for a place to pitch their tents for the night when one of them noticed buildings on the horizon. They continued traveling and soon found themselves on a side street in Montparnasse. But they knew better than to trust in illusions. They had heard how their ancestors had come upon the city of Babylon and were honored guests for a dozen years before realizing that even the dancing women were made of sand. It’s a lesson each generation must learn. The desert, like the mind, plays tricks on you. So they traveled the length of the city ignoring the children running beside their camels. The traffic jammed up along the way. The cameramen and the helicopters. When they reached the north side of Paris, it was all desert again. Ask any Bedouin about reality…. He will tell you to ignore everything you see. Believe only in the sand."

- David Shumate from The Floating Bridge
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #2467
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
(makes me think of this)

THE BEDOUINS OF PARIS

"The city of Paris appeared to a band of Bedouins somewhere out in the Sahara. They were searching for a place to pitch their tents for the night when one of them noticed buildings on the horizon. They continued traveling and soon found themselves on a side street in Montparnasse. But they knew better than to trust in illusions. They had heard how their ancestors had come upon the city of Babylon and were honored guests for a dozen years before realizing that even the dancing women were made of sand. It’s a lesson each generation must learn. The desert, like the mind, plays tricks on you. So they traveled the length of the city ignoring the children running beside their camels. The traffic jammed up along the way. The cameramen and the helicopters. When they reached the north side of Paris, it was all desert again. Ask any Bedouin about reality…. He will tell you to ignore everything you see. Believe only in the sand."

- David Shumate from The Floating Bridge
Lovely! I have to look that one up.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #2468
AlexBell
Wizard

I... request that you will bear in mind certain established truths... (First): That the actions of human beings are not invariably governed by the laws of pure reason. (Secondly): That we are by no means always in the habit of bestowing our love on the objects which are the most deserving of it...

From The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins 1875
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #2469
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress

“Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!”
From Jane Eyre By Charlotte Brontë
Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #2470
covingtoncat73
Wizard

...Beautiful though that silent city may be." ~ On a tombstone in Metairie Cemetery in New Orleans.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 02-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #2471
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #2472
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress

“One of my greatest lessons has been to fully understand that what looks like a dark patch in the quest for success is the universe pointing you in a new direction. Anything can be a miracle, a blessing, an opportunity if you choose to see it that way.”
― Oprah Winfrey, What I Know For Sure
Old 02-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #2473
AlexBell
Wizard

I returned to the sitting room, pondering on a question which has perplexed wiser heads than mine. Could a man who was hopelessly and entirely wicked have inspired such devoted attachment to him as Dexter had inspired in the faithful woman who had just left me? in the rough gardener who had carried him out so gently on the previous night? Who can decide? The greatest scoundrel living always has a friend - in a woman or a dog.

from The Law and the Lady, by Wilkie Collins, 1875

The speaker is Mrs Valeria Macallen, who tells the story. The author is male.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #2474
covingtoncat73
Wizard

“Let us go forth, the tellers of tales, and seize whatever prey the heart long for, and have no fear. Everything exists, everything is true, and the earth is only a little dust under our feet.” ~W.B. Yeats, "The Celtic Twilight" (1893, 1902)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #2475
covingtoncat73
Wizard

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." --William Butler Yeats by Alice Boughton

Try being Irish, French Creole, and German, Mr. Yeats.