Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #31
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I'm sorry but this market will never take off. Or sell very few units. Tablets are going to be the dominant force in color reading, especially with all of the other features they have. Do any search with iPad & school, we can see that these devices are clearly the preferred medium. I urgently get my school books on my iPad. It's eithe eink as we have it now or tablet. That's my unprofessional opinion.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #32
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was just about to make a thread about this, when I saw this one.
I think this is a great development. I'm curious to see if this will be the end of e-ink (bear in mind, the only thing I've read are: color, moving images, just as easy to read in the sun as e-ink and weeks of battery-life. If this is all realy true, e-ink can't compare).

Last edited by Joy736; 11-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I was just about to make a thread about this, when I saw this one.
I think this is a great development. I'm curious to see if this will be the end of e-ink (bear in mind, the only thing I've read are: color, moving images, just as easy to read in the sun as e-ink and weeks of battery-life. If this is all realy true, e-ink can't compare).
We still haven't got details on B&W contrast ratio compared to the latest eInk, nor any data on robustness (although it seems unlikely to be more fragile than the glass substrate of current eInk screens).

What it might do is encourage the deployment of robust eInk with a plastic substrate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #34
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I'm sorry but this market will never take off. Or sell very few units. Tablets are going to be the dominant force in color reading, especially with all of the other features they have. Do any search with iPad & school, we can see that these devices are clearly the preferred medium. I urgently get my school books on my iPad. It's eithe eink as we have it now or tablet. That's my unprofessional opinion.
For now, yes. But this may well be the next generations of color displays. The technological breakthrough that will replace LCD/LEDs on computers, phones, and tablets. And then again it may just be a flash in the pan. We don't know enough about it at this point. But just for reading it may be a big enough niche market, too.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unfortunately it's too small. 5.7" is too small.
5.7" too small, but 6" is just right?

I'll take a 5.7" 223ppi display over a 6.0" 160ppi display anytime.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 AM   #36
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
A guy commented on the-ebook forum, stating that he has seen prototypes a while ago and they had much higher constrast than e-ink. He also mentioned good viewing angles. AND background being nearly white. Uhm.

Judging from video, they seem to use built-in light, the same thing that Sony did on failed PRS 700 model (additional layer degraded screen quality a lot).

kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #37
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
First video of a demo unit in a Kyobo store : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYg9-VJ2Ys
A few seconds before the end, it looks like the person who shot this video disabled the backlight (or frontlight ?); then the screen looks quite dark, and the colors are not attractive anymore. From the weight (338g) and the the look of it, I guess the Kyobo uses backlight.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
I guess the Kyobo uses backlight.
It does have a built-in light, but it's a front-light. Like eInk, the Mirasol display is opaque. A back-light doesn't work.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
First video of a demo unit in a Kyobo store : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYg9-VJ2Ys
A few seconds before the end, it looks like the person who shot this video disabled the backlight (or frontlight ?); then the screen looks quite dark, and the colors are not attractive anymore.
This happens at about 1:20 and 1:48. What impresses me is how white the background looks when the frontlight is turned off. Note that the middle is dark because of the shadow of the person filming.

What this video does seem to show (from reflections on the unit) is that they seem to have put a sheet of glass over the entire front of the unit. I wonder if this was necessary for the front light, or just a design decision.

I would expect that the front glass adds a bit to the weight. I think I'd prefer a model without glass or front light. But perhaps it's because the screen itself isn't sturdy enough to be directly touched?

All details that I'm sure will come out over the next few weeks, but it's fun speculating.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I suspect the battery life issue is due to the add-ons (front light, wi-fi, ect.). Personally, I'd like a more bare-bones reader, but one should be able to turn all those extra features off.

You have to start somewhere...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #41
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
that's light...
Is it? There are 6-inch e-readers below 200 grams. This is twice the weight of Sony T1. For some people it might not matter, but I do feel the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I would expect that the front glass adds a bit to the weight. I think I'd prefer a model without glass or front light. But perhaps it's because the screen itself isn't sturdy enough to be directly touched?
Could be. I guess we'll see from future models which parts are necessary for the technology and which ones are just individual design.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #42
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Is it? There are 6-inch e-readers below 200 grams. This is twice the weight of Sony T1. For some people it might not matter, but I do feel the difference.
For a 6-incher it's quite heavy, yes. Still, it's only two thirds the weight of my DXG :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
5.7" too small, but 6" is just right?

I'll take a 5.7" 223ppi display over a 6.0" 160ppi display anytime.
I would think 7" would be a good size for a color display at the small end of the scale.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #44
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would think 7" would be a good size for a color display at the small end of the scale.
I would welcome that and be willing to pay. As someone who reads comfortably on LCDs of a certain quality, I can't see preferring something that's 5.7" instead of a 7" tablet. I don't really care for 6" eReaders because of the small screen. If I'm not in direct sun, I'll use a tablet.

Having a white background is certainly a plus. Finally moving on from the drab dull look of the gray background.

Last edited by SCION; 11-23-2011 at 10:42 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #45
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
No reflective display is ever going to have the contrast that active (or backlit) displays have.

I have my trusty (and ancient) Kodak Colour Dataguide gray scale beside me and the density range is from 0.00 to 1.90. That represents an 80:1 brightness range. This scale is made on a high quality semi-gloss photographic paper. No ordinary ink on paper will come close to this range.

This roughly the equivalent of a 64 level gray scale. Does anyone know the actual reflection density of the various eInk panels?

I would expect that, at best, a colour eInk display will look like high quality colour printing on good newsprint. Which I think is more than good enough. If you want rich, vibrant colour, you will need to go to an active display!

Given the choice between larger display and higher resolution, I would go with better resolution. The Sony 5" display is 200 dpi. 5.7" at 223 dpi would be excellent.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote