Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
Video Conversion

I have some Mpeg video clips from TV shows that I would like to convert for iPad. At the moment I'm using 'Xilisoft Video Converter Standard', which outputs to a maximum 720x576 and does'nt look very good.

Any recomendations to obtain the best video quallity. I don't mind paying.
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I've used Handbrake, with the Apple TV setting with iPod compatibility flag turned on, and through Air Video, asking for offline conversion.

Last edited by murraypaul; 06-03-2010 at 11:26 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Another vote for Handbrake here. I use the Universal preset for iPad conversions.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
What are the specs of the source video files (widthxheight, video bitrate, etc)? And where in the world did Xlisoft come up with 720x576... that isn't 4:3 or 16:9.

First, make sure you are converting to the same screen ratio as your source videos, and don't increase the dimensions of the video over the source videos. For example, I convert a lot of anime episodes from my dvd collection. Dvd videos usually have a height of 480px, so if the video is 4:3 then I convert to 640x480, or if it is 16:9 I convert to 853x480. If your video source is dvd then you will want to use a video bitrate of at least 1500kbps... better yet, use 2000kbps and, from my experience, the output videos will look very close to dvd quality when played on the iPad. If you aren't using dvds as your source then don't exceed the video bitrate of the source videos. Also, you shouldn't need higher than 128kbps audio bitrate.

The best free program I've used is Handbrake. If you are willing to spend money I recommend Wondershare DVD Converter Ultimate.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a fan of the Aimersoft video conversion tools myself. Nice user interface, and works well. Not free, but (for me) worth paying for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
As others already said, the Apple TV preset in Handbrake is a top notch conversion for the iPad.

However, once I discovered the Airvideo app and its free desktop server, I stopped using Handbrake.

Airvideo will either convert for later syncing or convert on the fly and stream over your own wifi network or over the internet to anywhere you access it from (including 3G but that would get expensive quickly with a limited data plan.) For offline conversion you can queue several files.

It handles any format you throw at it including high definition mkv, flv (flash video,) avi, divx, xvid, etc. You can set the size and quality of conversion but it streams so well I've just left mine maxed.

The streaming is impressive with no hiccups over any relatively steady connection. It just buffers ~10-15 seconds at the beginning and works perfectly after that.

Its conversion speed also beats Handbrake hands down.

They have a free version you can demo so nothing to loose.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
I did'nt realise that Airvideo converted as well as streamed. I'll give it a go.

Edit: Got this running but it does not display full screen. Is it possible to covert files and save them on the iPad? I don't keep my main computer on all the time.

Edit: Now tried 'Air Video'. Looks like this is the one. The clips I want to convert are anamorphic widescreen (16x9). What settings should I use to preserve the original aspect ratio.

Last edited by Mick4545; 06-03-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I use Handbrake, Apple TV settings and tweak the bitrate to get a smaller file.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
handbrake.. been using it for years.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick4545 View Post
Edit: Now tried 'Air Video'. Looks like this is the one. The clips I want to convert are anamorphic widescreen (16x9). What settings should I use to preserve the original aspect ratio.
It automatically preserves the original ratio and you'll get black bars just like in the default video player. And just like in that one you can press the toggle on the upper right to use the full iPad screen (cropping left and right, of course.) I never bother with that since I would rather see the original.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote