Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Jack__Flack
Jack__Flack began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook gen3
Jaggies in iBooks?

I downloaded a epub from one of my favorite no DRM publishers (way to go Baen!) and popped it into ibooks on my new iPad. I noticed the font has jaggies and is not at all smooth. Is this the embedded fonts bug (or something related) or a screen resolution problem or ??

I'm reading at the 'normal' size (e.g. no increased font size) and the standard palintino font. Anyone else notice that the fonts in iBooks don't seem to be as crisp as they probably should be?
Jack__Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The text display isn't anti-aliased, which combined with the very bright screen gives quite noticeable pixel edges.

Last edited by murraypaul; 06-03-2010 at 12:09 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried changing the font and seeing if it looks any better with a different font? I read with the "Georgia" font, and that looks great to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried changing the font and seeing if it looks any better with a different font? I read with the "Georgia" font, and that looks great to me.
There's a Georgia font in iBooks?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
There's a Georgia font in iBooks?
Sorry - I'm getting confused with another App (OliveTree's "Bible Reader" - THAT has a Georgia font). I've just checked and I too am using "Palatino" in iBooks. It looks fine to me.

Apologies for the mix-up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The text display isn't anti-aliased, which combined with the very bright screen gives quite noticeable pixel edges.
It is anti-aliased (in the same manner as text usually gets anti-aliased on the iPhone). But there are a couple gotchas on Apple's approach as far as I can tell:

1) Putting text on an OpenGL 3D surface has always been slightly problematic. Anti-aliasing assumes a 1:1 mapping of pixels, which isn't true in OpenGL, so you can get slight "off by a fraction of a pixel" errors which causes OpenGL to sample your rendered text and anti-alias it again, which produces even more oddities. Or if you turn off the texture AA (or it isn't available), the lack of a 1:1 mapping actually undoes some of the anti-aliasing you did when rendering the text, hardening the otherwise soft edges.

2) Apple's anti-aliasing, while it does a good job of being faithful to the typeface versus being "crisp" (like ClearType on Windows attempts to do), works best on high-DPI screens. Otherwise you get text that may appear smudged, or slightly fuzzy. The DPI on the iPad screen (130 DPI) is much lower than the current crop of e-ink screens or the iPhone (160+ DPI).

These two things conspire to make the text look worse than it needs to be.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry - I'm getting confused with another App (OliveTree's "Bible Reader" - THAT has a Georgia font). I've just checked and I too am using "Palatino" in iBooks. It looks fine to me.

Apologies for the mix-up.

I was sort of hoping there was and I had just missed it somehow.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Can you take a snapshot and post what you're seeing. I changed the font smallest to largest and I can't get it to look jagged at all.

I took a snapshot of a page, crop a paragraph and zoomed it 240% and it is still smooth (a little blurry in some areas) and not jagged.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Jack__Flack
Jack__Flack began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Can you take a snapshot and post what you're seeing. I changed the font smallest to largest and I can't get it to look jagged at all.

I took a snapshot of a page, crop a paragraph and zoomed it 240% and it is still smooth (a little blurry in some areas) and not jagged.
I'll try when I get back home. The more I look at the screen in a variety of apps, I think it is the low pixel count combined with nothing like cleartype. I guess it will be one of the tradeoffs for the iPad vs. an eink device.
Jack__Flack is offline   Reply With Quote