Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm not sure I follow, how would a cotton Kindle cover be worse for the planet than a leather one?
If there is a fully-cotton cover, no plastics, of course hand-harvested, ecologically processed and dyed, and hand-assembled, I'd have to agree with you. Naturally, such a cover would probably be far more expensive than the one that came bundled with each of my Kindles.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #32
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Cotton farmers in Australia are one of the most significant water abusers in Australia.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #33
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
never mind

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-05-2010 at 04:13 AM. Reason: reply was too sarcastic, even for me
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #34
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
oops - please ignore.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #35
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, all I'll say is that being a vegan is silly. So, as a matter of course, vegan Kindle covers are silly.
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #36
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Well, all I'll say is that being a vegan is silly. So, as a matter of course, vegan Kindle covers are silly.
Well, yes. But in the Grand Scheme of the Universe, being a *human* is silly. Your point is???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #37
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsitterbible View Post
Hi, you're probably right, we probably didn't read the full post, maybe it's just not the right thread for it. I don't think a lot of people realize what goes into creating the products they use on a daily basis, especially when it involves animal products. Animals are routinely skinned alive (much more often than people realize) for their hides to make leather, so that's why it can be a sensitive issue to many. I'm glad this conversation found it into the forum though and no hard feelings. Thanks.
Please post your basis for this statement. Links? Facts?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #38
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well, yes. But in the Grand Scheme of the Universe, being a *human* is silly. Your point is???

Derek
Vegan > human (wrt silliness).
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #39
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Please post your basis for this statement. Links? Facts?
I would like to know, too... I find it very hard to believe.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #40
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsitterbible View Post
Animals are routinely skinned alive (much more often than people realize) for their hides to make leather, so that's why it can be a sensitive issue to many.
How fascinating, and totally unsubstantiated.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #41
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...obsession.html
http://www.casttv.com/video/f7n57k1/...e-in-usa-video

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #42
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
These were horrific videos, but I don't think they apply to 'routinely'..

I wouldn't put anything past USA or china... (this might be a wrong way to put it, but it's the way it always sounded to me - like 'good onion' instead of good on ya)
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I made a cover for my Nook out of an old Psychology textbook. You can use an expendable book from your collection or get one from a recycling center. There are directions on line for hollowing our books. Take your time at this and be careful. Cut out just one or two pages at a time.

After all the pages are cut, use Elmer's glue (or vegan equivalent to glue the cut pages together. I cut out a notch at the top where the Nook on-off switch is located. You can cut notches for cables, headphones etc.

The Nook is held in place using velcro pads. I can pull it out to recharge it or connect it to a computer.

The nice thing about a "Book" cover is that the whole thing feels like a book when you hold it. When I first used it, I found myself trying to flip pages. Also, for security purposed, the covered reader looks like an old book.
dugong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #44
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Sphincter self-portrait?

@runfromfire - Your avatar looks suspiciously like Kurt Vonnegut's self-portrait of his sphincter from Breakfast of Champions. Is that a correct guess?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cases, kindle, kindle2, vegan