Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quick Comparison review PRS-900 vs PRS-600 (Plenty of photos)

Today I received the PRS-900. I posted in another thread the unboxing photos. After playing around the past couple hours with the 900, I figured I would post a preliminary review on the 900 vs the 600.

The size difference is not as drastic as I initially thought it would be, and that was a pleasant surprise. The only hesitation I had when purchasing the 900 was that I would be sacrificing the great portability of the 600, I would say it is like the difference of carrying a small paperback, and moving to a thin hard cover book. With the Sony leather cover on the 600, it is wider and shorter, the included cover with the 900 has it appearing to be taller of course but have a smaller width. In reality, the 900 and 600 share the same exact width, 900 is just a little thicker in depth, and of course about an inch and a half taller. I find the buttons on the 600 to be a bit spongy vs the nice tactile feedback of the buttons on the 900, and I also like that they condensed the button area to be thinner so you have more screen.
The speed of page turns is exactly the same. If I'm not mistaken, they both use the same exact processor, so there is absolutely no difference between the 2 there.

I do like the added features of the 900 that I have found so far. The nice thing about having more screen real estate is obviously fitting more per page, but I like the landscape option of the 2 pages, it really does feel like reading a book. I also like that you could remove the margins to fill MORE per page. I also feel that with more screen real estate with higher resolution, magazines and periodicals will format much better, and to prove it to myself I downloaded the NY Times which has a better newspaper reading experience fitting photos and more writing per page.

The part that I was personally very curious about and I am sure many are sitting on the fence deciding which to go with based on this info....the legibility. The glare is of course still there, and as reported many times, due to the layer for the touch screen, it is exactly the same for both. Just move the angle a small bit removes it. I tried to take some good macro shots of each, and side to side. The legibility difference is not HUGE, but it is noticeable to a small degree. I don't know if it is because there is more screen, so the words appear clearer as a result, I don't know how much difference the higher resolution makes, but I can confirm a shade better clarity on the 900 vs the 600. I hope the photos show what I mean.

Thats it for now, I will post more after more time with the 900. So far I am liking it. The sign in was easy, the newspaper purchase was simple, I downloaded a previously purchased book with ease.....knock wood, no issues.

Photo 1 both units side by side with covers open (darker screen was just due to lighting)
Photo 2 devices sitting right next to each other
Photo 3 600 on top of 900
Photo 4 Full screen of 900
Photo 5 Full Screen of 600 Both full screen shots were shot in the same exact spot same exact lighting.
Photo 6 Screen side by side 600 on left, 900 on right
Photo 7 closeup of screens 600 on left, 900 on right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	43834   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	1561
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	43835   Click image for larger version

Name:	three.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	43836   Click image for larger version

Name:	four.jpg
Views:	1385
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	43837   Click image for larger version

Name:	five.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	43838   Click image for larger version

Name:	six.jpg
Views:	1889
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	43839   Click image for larger version

Name:	seven.jpg
Views:	1594
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	43840  

Last edited by DougFNJ; 01-19-2010 at 08:41 PM.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for sharing!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Thanks! I've been waiting for pictures comparing the two.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post

I do like the added features of the 900 that I have found so far. The nice thing about having more screen real estate is obviously fitting more per page, but I like the landscape option of the 2 pages, it really does feel like reading a book. I also like that you could remove the margins to fill MORE per page.
2 questions.

1. How do you remove margins? Do you have to do it every time you turn a page (like you have to zoom in in 600 when you turn a page)?

2. How does removing margings work in 2 page landscape mode(I mean visually) and how does the text look in 2 page mode when you increase font from S to M or L?

Very nice review.
Ta.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks for that review!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks for sharing!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
Thanks! I've been waiting for pictures comparing the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for that review!
No problem, happy to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
2 questions.

1. How do you remove margins? Do you have to do it every time you turn a page (like you have to zoom in in 600 when you turn a page)?

2. How does removing margings work in 2 page landscape mode(I mean visually) and how does the text look in 2 page mode when you increase font from S to M or L?

Very nice review.
Ta.
Thanks, removing the margins is just tapping the box in the zoom popup, it stays like that throughou the book.

Dosen't work in 2 page mode. Increasing the size does the same thing as on a single age, looks exactly the sae, just splitin half.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Thanks
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Doug, could you post some pictures of the NY Times on the 900. I downloaded a copy for my 505 and it looks OK but am thinking of going for the 900 just so I can replace my print subscription of the NYT with the e version. Thanks.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Sorry for the delay, the gray highlit words are links.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NYT1.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	44050   Click image for larger version

Name:	NYT2.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	44051   Click image for larger version

Name:	NYT3.jpg
Views:	927