Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Oyseka
Oyseka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hi there - I need help

I bought a Sony PRS 505 on ebay after seeing a friends one. I live in Australia and never thought to check how easily I could buy books. I have now spent 3 days trying to figure how to register my device so that I can purchase books.
It doesn't seem possible.
Does Sony intend going international soon???
Is there HELP out there

Last edited by Oyseka; 11-23-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Oyseka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi welcome to mobileread.

You may be better asking for advice on this in the sony section of the forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I'm sure if you post a thread there then someone could help you.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR.

I also bought a Sony with total ignorance about the restrictions (who would think about asking that). There are some sites that will sell you books.

I have now got myself a travels creditcard from my bank preloaded with US$ (you can also get one of those creditcards that are preloaded with AU$) and have increased the number of bookstores that now sell to me. Never mind that I have to 'bend' the rules a bit and Brisbane is now in the US . I figure that is still more honest than having to rely on pirated copies of bestsellers I want to read.

But to answer your question: I contacted Sony to ask if they sell their reader in Australia soon and received a non-commital reply. So as long as they won't sell overseas they won't have much need to internationalise their bookstore.

But keep checking the forum - lots of bookstores mentioned and added to on a regular basis.

And enjoy your reader - despite the problems to get books you will soon love it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
G'day Okseka: Go to my own wee site at www.bewrite.net (150+ exclusive new titles and many by Oz authors) and drop me a line of anything that catches your eye. I'll send the ebooks through to you free as PDFs (and those read OK on a 505, or you can simply convert to ePub through free Calibre linbrary software). All good fun, and it will give you something to be going on with until you get intro the stride and realise your Sony gizmo's potential. Good luck. Neil (ntmarrATbewrite.net [use the @ sign])
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Oyseka, and Name:  spelling_problems_2.gif
Views: 113
Size:  3.3 KB to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyseka View Post
I bought a Sony PRS 505 on ebay after seeing a friends one. I live in Australia and never thought to check how easily I could buy books. I have now spent 3 days trying to figure how to register my device so that I can purchase books.
It doesn't seem possible.
Does Sony intend going international soon???
Is there HELP out there
Your library service has some epub and pdf books that may work on your Sony. You might want to check that out (and free is a good price).

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Also, you can have someone in the US buy you a Sony Gift Card. I believe that will work.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Oh yes, I forgot to mention libraries - they do have some eBooks. Not many but it's a start. At least I can access eBooks through Brisbane City Libraries
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote