Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #76
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Sounds like next generation jetBook with eInk description with only one exception - the maximum size of SD card - 2GB.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #77
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I will think twice before change my jetBook with TFT screen to jetBook with Eink screen in case if it will be available sometimes in future.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #78
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will think twice before change my jetBook with TFT screen to jetBook with Eink screen in case if it will be available sometimes in future.
Sure.
I just wanted to point out that the two cannot be compared because of the difference between screens.
Whoever likes TFT might as well read from PCs, laptops, netbooks, mobile phones, PDAs etc. The range is huge.
Whoever wants a replacement of a printed book needs eInk and long battery life.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #79
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Sure.
I just wanted to point out that the two cannot be compared because of the difference between screens.
Whoever likes TFT might as well read from PCs, laptops, netbooks, mobile phones, PDAs etc. The range is huge.
Whoever wants a replacement of a printed book needs eInk and long battery life.
Well, I use my jetBook with TFT screen as replacement of a printed books and it has a long battery life - 20 hours.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #80
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Well, I use my jetBook with TFT screen as replacement of a printed books and it has a long battery life - 20 hours.
I honestly envy you if you don't notice any eyestrain when you read with TFT in comparison to printed book.
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #81
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Cruze_Jr View Post
David Weber's Oath of Swords, "Tomanāk" comes up as "Toman k." It's not a show-stopper; it's just annoying.
Interesting choice, as all the current downloads from Baen seem have it as "Tomanak", i.e. no accent! (Page 3 does have "hrä--ne", which reads correctly here, but I'm not sure if I've currently got the standard fonts or extended ones installed.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #82
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I honestly envy you if you don't notice any eyestrain when you read with TFT in comparison to printed book.
Why? The reflective TFT screen on the Jetbook is sharp and clear. The contrast is a small bit lower than an eInk screen. Why would you expect to get eyestrain more readily with the TFT screen?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #83
astra
The Introvert

Because it is a backlit screen vs. reflective eInk?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because it is a backlit screen vs. reflective eInk?
No it is not. It is reflective just like the eInk screens.

BOb
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #85
astra
The Introvert

Then I don't understand how it works.
I am using ectaco products for almost 10 years.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Then I don't understand how it works.
I am using ectaco products for almost 10 years.
I'm not sure what you don't understand. The screen on the Jetbook is an LCD screen that does not have a back light. You need ambient light to see the image. I assume other ectaco products may use backlight screens but the Jetbook doesn't.

BOb
Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #87
astra
The Introvert

Then what is a difference between eInk and TFT?

I believe my ectaco dictionaries have the same TFT screen as the ebook reader

Last edited by astra; 11-13-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #88
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Then what is a difference between eInk and TFT?
The LCD screen the image is created by putting electric current through the diode so it will be black. Where as an eInk screen works some other way and only needs power when the image is created. I don't know the exact technical properties of how each screen works.

But, I do know that the Jetbook does NOT have a back light. I have used one and can tell you that with 100% certainty. I'm not sure it is an issue of you not understanding this rather it seems an issue of you not believing be.

Quote:
I believe my ectaco dictionaries have the same TFT screen as the ebook reader
If the dictionaries are backlit then they have a transmissive screen with a backlight. The jetbook has a reflexive TFT screen. Have you not seen LCD clocks? Most of them are NOT back lit and use a reflexive type screen.

BOb
Old 11-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #89
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you not seen LCD clocks? Most of them are NOT back lit and use a reflexive type screen.
That is the type of LCD my dictionaries have.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #90
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That is the type of LCD my dictionaries have.
Then there is no backlight on it?

BOb

Tags
505, change, engineer, feat, thing