Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
winternoise
winternoise began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Bricked Device

Hi,

i have bricked my Pocketbook 360 trying to upgrade a custom firmware. Does anybody have an idea how to get the device working again, if standard process is not working? It is not going to flash firmware mode anymore by pressing "up" and "ok" key while switching on, it is also not registering as any usb device when connecting to a workstation. No reset helped, disconnectiong battery also doesn't help.

thanks for any suggestions :-)
winternoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
How old is your Pocketbook? Does it still have warranty? If yes, bricking the device because of doing an upgrade is covered by warranty.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
He did say custom firmware, are you sure its covered ?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I'm not sure, most probably it's not covered. I didn't know that there is a custom firmware around so I ignored this part, sorry, my fault.

Can you get help from where you got the firmware?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Hacked & Broke the eReader & Warrenty ...... DUH!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
winternoise

yeah, i know, wasn't nice to do it with the poor little reader :-)

There are tips around in google for unbricking other devices, using special com/serial adapters, or involving other hardware hacking. But none for the 360, so no luck.

I think i will sell it as broken for the replacement parts, or ask Vital one thread below for his broken 360...
Fixing it is not because of the price of the reader, not that expensive anymore, in comparison to the effort to spent; it is just for the fun of repairing it :-)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard

I'm a little bit curious: what custom firmware did you use?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
winternoise

i flashed the 360+ firmware to my 360... maybe it would have worked if i would have ensured that i have had enough free memory on the device, don't know... (i had to change the firmware id string, so the flash tool accepted it). The hardware of both devices is more or less the same, and since companys normally are not developing thinks from buttom up every time, there was a chance that it would have worked...
He failed in the last step when he tried to write the filesystem...
Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Billi
Wizard

Welcome to the club! You're not the first one who tries to upgrade the 360+ firmware to the 360 reader. It doesn't work. Look here for instance:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147627

I don't know if there is already a solution. Maybe you can send a PM here to Forkosigan (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=37926) from Pocketbook. If anyone can help you, then he.

Last edited by Billi; 01-19-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by winternoise View Post
i flashed the 360+ firmware to my 360... maybe it would have worked if i would have ensured that i have had enough free memory on the device, don't know... (i had to change the firmware id string, so the flash tool accepted it). The hardware of both devices is more or less the same, and since companys normally are not developing thinks from buttom up every time, there was a chance that it would have worked...
He failed in the last step when he tried to write the filesystem...
I don't think that would have worked. The binary files and shared libraries are incompatible between the two versions of operating systems, and it looks like the new ones (and more importantly, their shared libraries) are installed in place of the old ones on a running system. You would have to be very careful during the install procedure to make sure the transition was smooth, assuming that the same kernel would work for both systems. If the kernel is also incompatible, then it becomes even way harder to update.

You're not the first to be hosed by this. I think it would have been nice if they had given the new model a different number, rather than just an extra plus sign.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
...Maybe you can send a PM here to Forkosigan (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=37926) from Pocketbook. If anyone can help you, then he.
I tried that, I didn't get a reply, though. I flashed 360 firmware to my 360+
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
jstricks87
jstricks87 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360+
So I popped open the back of my pocketbook because it was out of warranty and noticed that it is just a 2GB micro sd card that the device runs off of. It is partitioned into 4 parts,
31MB Fat32, 144MB Partition, 239MB partition and 1.43GB partition.

Since the first bit was corrupt, I assume it killed the rest of the SD Card. If someone with a working 360 could post all of the necessary files from all 4 sections, we could unbrick any device very easily. Perhaps customer support could provide us a way of re-imaging the SD cards?
jstricks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #13
winternoise

Sounds interessting. I was frightened to "crack" it open, had the fear to destroy it totally. But i will give it a try (again).

Maybe there is a chance to extract the partition from the official firmware .zip? Maybe using "dd" under linux? I will try it when i find time the next days.

I am using a Sony PRS-T1 now, but my wife would like to use the 360 because of its beautiful cover
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
jstricks87
jstricks87 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360+
The regular PB360 I opened (coworkers) doesn't have an SD card inside, only the blue PB360plus did. I tried extracting files from the updates, but the device seems to use a bootloader in the first partition to read off the OS into another section. This makes the device extremely stable but difficult to fix since the entire card crapped out. I am trying to get direct read access to the memory of the black PB360 to see if I can copy off all of the files.
jstricks87 is offline   Reply With Quote