Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #31
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I think it works. It's easiest to go to the chapter "The Spirit of Chivalry in Westminster Hall". The first sentence after the heading has quotations at the beginning and inside a paragraph.
(~-indent has "real" indents, ~-noin has non-breaking spaces)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately I don't have an ePub reader at hand as I write this. Do you mean that the real indent version has the smartquotes right, but the "spaces" version doesn't?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #33
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's what I mean. If you have no ePub reader at hand, here are two screenshots:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp screen_indent.bmp (487.6 KB, 303 views)
File Type: bmp screen_noindent.bmp (487.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #34
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If that's the case you should be able to use the 'replace entity indents' option under heuristics to replace all entity indents with css indents to ensure that non-breaking spaces don't screw up smarten punctuation.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #35
Billi
Wizard

Thank you for this trick, Idolse. I hope the thread opener will not kill us for such an easy solution after all the manual work he's done.
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #36
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I've just checked in a fix to my branch for this, and I expect it will get in the next release. If someone enables smarten punctuation then Calibre will always run the 'replace entity indents' code before running smarten punctuation.

The work the other posters did still applies to other problems with smarten punctuation - non-breaking space indents aren't the only thing that trips it up.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #37
Rajmahid
Enthusiast
Rajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Thank you for this trick, Idolse. I hope the thread opener will not kill us for such an easy solution after all the manual work he's done.
This Thread Opener is only too happy for this your easy solution... And the manual work was an excellent opportunity to get some much-needed editing experience. It's all good...
Rajmahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #38
Billi
Wizard

Rajmahid, thank you back for asking this question. I've learnt a lot myself by trying to help. Up until a week ago I really didn't have the slightest idea that Calibre has such a smarten punctuation function.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #39
Rajmahid
Enthusiast
Rajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with others

Quote:
Rajmahid, thank you back for asking this question. I've learnt a lot myself by trying to help. Up until a week ago I really didn't have the slightest idea that Calibre has such a smarten punctuation function.
Glad my ignorance helped others solve (for the most part) this odd quirk without hours & hours of manual labor. From the mouth's of babes...

Now...if someone could provide a similar & easy workaround for converting the UK standard of single quotes to US standard double quotes -- without "harming" single apostrophes -- I'd be doubly (tripply? quadrupally?) grateful

MobilRead is a true wonder for those of us who love books...thanks to all!!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
MaryBarton
MaryBarton began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahid View Post
Glad my ignorance helped others solve (for the most part) this odd quirk without hours & hours of manual labor. From the mouth's of babes...

Now...if someone could provide a similar & easy workaround for converting the UK standard of single quotes to US standard double quotes -- without "harming" single apostrophes -- I'd be doubly (tripply? quadrupally?) grateful

MobilRead is a true wonder for those of us who love books...thanks to all!!
I've been editing PD books for my e-readers for some time, using many tools including Sigil, Calibre and a number of other editors. Unfortunately, I haven't discovered any way other than time-consuming manual labour to convert single quotation marks to doubles without affecting apostrophes or similar punctuations.

Sorry...
MaryBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahid View Post
Can you not simply consider it a cultural difference, on a par with the spelling variations between British and American English?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #42
Rajmahid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you not simply consider it a cultural difference, on a par with the spelling variations between British and American English?
Of course it's a cultural difference, Harry. Vive la difference. I truly appreciate and comprehend. However, despite single styling being typically the British style while double is North American, it's not a hard and fast rule. I find the British to a bit less consistent; while their traditional practice has been the exact opposite of American, many recent British books and periodicals follow American practice.

Bottom line, Harry, it's all about personal preference. And if given a choice, I'll always prefer double quotes. End of story --
Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am also getting the quote issue. The left quote is reversed. I know I can easily go into the ePub and fix it and I will. But why is this happening and can it be fixed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
Billi
Wizard

Jon, which left quotes were reversed? All or only the left quotes at the beginning of a paragraph?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Jon, which left quotes were reversed? All or only the left quotes at the beginning of a paragraph?
I just realized I made a mistake. I was looking at the wrong book.

The last file I converted with straight quotes seemed to work fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote