Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Red face A really dumb question?

I know this sounds really stupid, but I have to ask.

I have a Sony Reader. Ok easy bit.

Someone told me I could buy Kindle books and read them on my Sony. The trouble is I don't know how. And I am worried about DRM stuff.

If I go to a Kindle book (that Amazon will let me have) How do I get it by download. Amazon wants me to have it wirelessly delivered. No worky for Sony in Oz and I am sure not worky for Amazon books.

Do I have to register my Sony with Amazon like you do for Sony Store?
Do they all have DRM that will need removal before I can read on the Sony.

Why can't everyone put their books on Smashwords.

If anyone would be kind enough to explain.
Cheers
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, SS

It is not a dumb question, and I will try my best to explain. I am sure someone will come along who will do better.

So, the answer is yes and no. Did that help.

No, because Sony does not read the Kindle format. Kindle does not read the Sony ePub.

Yes, because there are ways to get a Kindle book to the Sony, if you are willing to do a bit of stuff.

I have not done this as I have quite a few books to read already.

I guess, I am suppose to say, "Google is your friend" as we are not suppose to give directions on "how" to do that. It may be or it may not be legal in the country where you live.

I would sure like to get some of the Kindle freebies that don"t show up on the other sites. I wish everyone would use smashwords, too.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
If you download Kindle for PC, you can purchase the book and Amazon will send it to that.

After that, well, Dreams' post answered you there.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Not all books from Amazon have DRM. At least, some of the freebies I've downloaded don't. These books can be converted to epub using Calibre. For DRMed books, yes, google is your friend.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Everyone!

As I suspected a whole lotta trouble. Back to Smashwords for me.

Hear that all you authors?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
There are a lot of sources for EPUB content. Check the sticky at the top of the Sony Forum: "Sources beyond CONNECT."

Connect was the old name of the Sony store.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote