Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Way to hide search bar?

There is an area across the top of my screen containing search-related fields; I'm calling it the "search bar" here.

Is it possible to hide the search bar until needed, and then show it, and then let the user close it?

For example, Firefox has a "Find..." menu item that opens a Find bar, which has an X to let the user close the bar when through finding.

The reason I want this is, of course, to allow as much screen space for things in current use as possible.

Lee
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Not to the best of my knowledge.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
New users have enough trouble with the Highlight mode Toggle.
Same goes with the Tag Browser, Book details Toggle.
I think this results in the (more) Static aspects of the GUI.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
Is it possible to hide the search bar until needed, and then show it, and then let the user close it?

For example, Firefox has a "Find..." menu item that opens a Find bar, which has an X to let the user close the bar when through finding.
You can't do this now, but depending on the programing effort involved it sounds like a reasonable idea.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

deranged
If you are in need of vertical space, modify your Menus (Preferences: Main Interface Icon size and/or Show text). You can even eliminate most, by setting up a old style MenuS, using Preferences: Tool bar
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Okay, it's a definite tangent to the thread but you've reminded me... what is the use of the Restrict To button?

It is related to Searching, but I cannot figure out how it is relevant / useful. With Hightlight off, the book display is already restrict to matching results. Highlight on, the result would show All books, but only matching results would appear highlighted. Theoretically Highlight off, Restrict To on, you would just get the equivalent of a colored Highlight off book display.

Am I missing something?
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Okay, it's a definite tangent to the thread but you've reminded me... what is the use of the Restrict To button?
Using saved searches it allows you to create independent virtual libraries within one giant library. I wrote about it here and here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-18-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Another way of saying: Allows the use of normal selection (ie. Tag Browser) within a restricted set of books.

Example:
I have a filter (saved Searches are also filters) to show only books I have not run past Flightcrew.
Need Validate
Code:
formats:"=EPUB" and not #ok_fc:true
Now I can use the Tag Browser.
In this case, lets set it to Show 'Sort By Popularity'
Now I Expand 'Series' and I see one of my favorite series is near the top of list, making it a priority candidate for Validation and touchup

You coud accomplish this with a hand generated, complex search... But Why
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Theoretically Highlight off, Restrict To on, you would just get the equivalent of a colored Highlight off book display.

Am I missing something?
You are missing the fact that now your library is restricted to the saved search. The tag browser as well as all plugins are restricted to that view and can only act on the books in that restricted library. You have essentially created a virtual library within your larger library without having to maintain separate libraries.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
deranged
If you are in need of vertical space, modify your Menus (Preferences: Main Interface Icon size and/or Show text). You can even eliminate most, by setting up a old style MenuS, using Preferences: Tool bar
I've already set it to just show text, no icons. That does indeed help.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I've already set it to just show text, no icons. That does indeed help.
Are you using the narrow or wide layout? If you're not using wide, you should try it. Modern 16x9 screens really lack vertical space, but have tons of horizontal room. The wide layout moves the book details pane over to the right of the book list, rather than the bottom, thus freeing up a ton of vertical room. Or just turn off book details entirely.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Are you using the narrow or wide layout?
Both. I seem to be settling on Wide, but I often don't have the Book Details panel open at all.

Controlling the Cover Browser, Tag Browser, and Book Details panels solely by icons in the status bar is, in my experience, a somewhat unusual UI choice. My personal preference is old school: have everything controllable from the main menu bar, even if other UI options are available.

In other words, while I was letting people bring up and hide the search tool, I'd also make the status bar a user interface option, as it is in Firefox, for example. The only mandatory item there is the Jobs status, which I think does need to be visible somewhere at all times.

With those two changes, screen real estate can be maximized, whether one or more of the three optional panels is open or not.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

It is related to Searching, but I cannot figure out how it is relevant / useful. With Hightlight off, the book display is already restrict to matching results. Highlight on, the result would show All books, but only matching results would appear highlighted. Theoretically Highlight off, Restrict To on, you would just get the equivalent of a colored Highlight off book display.

Am I missing something?
I use the restrict search to simplify things.
Simple example
If assigning genre to a custom column.
Click Genre twice and search bar shows #genre:false
Click restrict search to current search and only the books that are in the current search will be shown when something else is types into the search bar.
If I then type mystery into the search bar it will only show results within the #genre:false results

You can get the same result by typing the whole search term '#genre:false and mystery' but restrict search is sometiimes simpler.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote