Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
It's probably not too long until there are Kindle Touches with backlight support. At least the 5.1.0 software already is (partially?) prepared for it:

Code:
~/kindle-touch/java/classes$ LANG=C egrep -ri 'screen_?light' .
Binary file ./com/amazon/ebook/booklet/reader/impl/n.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/ebook/booklet/reader/utils/SwitchAppUtils$ScreenLightAction.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/ebook/booklet/reader/utils/g.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources_it.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources_en_GB.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources_de.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources_es.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources_pt.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/agui/swing/resources/ComponentResources_fr.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/kindle/swing/actions/ScreenLightAction.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/kindle/swing/actions/ActionManager.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/kindle/swing/actions/ScreenLightAction$1.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/kindle/swing/actions/ScreenLightAction$Holder.class matches
Binary file ./com/amazon/kindle/control/util/q.class matches
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #17
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
There is already a bunch of buzz on the Kindle with backlight similar to the Glowlight.
When the KT with lighting comes out, I will buy it immediately. I won't switch to Barnes and Noble though as I still like the Kindle design and ecosystem better.

Amazon didn't seem to mind being slow out of the gate with touch, so I figure we won't see the light until the next refresh cycle in Sept/Oct.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
There is already a bunch of buzz on the Kindle with backlight similar to the Glowlight.
When the KT with lighting comes out, I will buy it immediately. I won't switch to Barnes and Noble though as I still like the Kindle design and ecosystem better.

Amazon didn't seem to mind being slow out of the gate with touch, so I figure we won't see the light until the next refresh cycle in Sept/Oct.
Thanks. I have been using my KF for reading, but as AnemicOak mentions, it is a fingerprint magnet. Day reading stinks. But I want to be able to read in low light-can't be without my book for the 3 minutes a day the train is dark. I think a KG (Kindle Glow) would be just the ticket.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
jihe3141
jihe3141 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
A bit too expensive right now since the normal nook touch has been on sale for about $60, paying an extra $80 just for the glow isn't worth it.
jihe3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #20
zhanzr
zhanzr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I already have my Kindle Touch. I am also waiting for a glowing kindle. It would be a coveted gift to send to my family. It is a pity Amazon is a laggard this time. I hope Amazon would release the first color Kindle.
zhanzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #21
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hate to say it but that light seems as if it would have the same effect as reading on a computer screen. If anyone's got it, I hope you'll say something on it.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
lebod
lebod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Hate to say it but that light seems as if it would have the same effect as reading on a computer screen. If anyone's got it, I hope you'll say something on it.
I'm not sure about that. There is no constant refreshing of the screen like on your PC or tablet displays. I still prefer to read in a lighted room, but might get a lit version in the far future. Definitely not switching my kindle touch for a lit version just to get the built-in light.
lebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #23
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post

I haven't seen one in person yet but in my head I keep picturing a nice soft glow...almost like Indiglow on a timex watch. I can't see that being as hard on the eyes as an LCD.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #24
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have a NTG and it is a soft glow along the line lines of Indiglow though not quite. It isn't eyestraining at all and isn't nearly as bright as a clip on light.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #25
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
I have a NTG and it is a soft glow along the line lines of Indiglow though not quite. It isn't eyestraining at all and isn't nearly as bright as a clip on light.
Good to hear!