Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
RTF picture support

I've been playing for days now with PDF's and LRF but I can't get it the way I want. The best for me would be RTF if it just supported pictures. Does anyone know if Sony is planning to add this support with the next firmware release?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
With Pictures you should be able to get the PDF files to about the same size as RTF. Is there a problem with this approach? I get pictures in PDF just fine and very readable once I got the font and page sizes correct, using the advice found on this board.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
With Pictures you should be able to get the PDF files to about the same size as RTF. Is there a problem with this approach? I get pictures in PDF just fine and very readable once I got the font and page sizes correct, using the advice found on this board.

I tried that but the letters always comes out too skinny looking. I feel I have to squeeze my eyes to read.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Not to mention the much slower speeds of PDF documents.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
griffbrad
griffbrad began at the beginning.

Not to mention the inability to switch font sizes on the fly in PDF.
griffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I tried that but the letters always comes out too skinny looking. I feel I have to squeeze my eyes to read.
Sounds like you are using the wrong page size when the document is printed. If you post a HTML or Word document, I'll format it and post back a PDF formated for the Reader
Old 11-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Sounds like you are using the wrong page size when the document is printed. If you post a HTML or Word document, I'll format it and post back a PDF formated for the Reader

I use 90mm x 120mm (3.543" x 4.724"). What size do you use?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

In Word I have set a page format that is 5.24 X 6.60 inches. When I "print" the .doc file to PDF I use my preset "Sony Reader" output size which is the same (133mm X 170mm). The PDF comes out looking just like it does in Word. I also use "Smallest File Size" setting which renders a PDF virtually the same size as the DOC file. I also set the margins at .2" on all sides, which in "M" gives full screen coverage. I set the body text size at 20pts, which to my eyes works fine.

Last edited by SoCal Bob; 11-20-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
In Word I have set a page format that is 5.24 X 6.60 inches. When I "print" the .doc file to PDF I use my preset "Sony Reader" output size which is the same (133mm X 170mm). The PDF comes out looking just like it does in Word. I also use "Smallest File Size" setting which renders a PDF virtually the same size as the DOC file. I also set the margins at .2" on all sides, which in "M" gives full screen coverage. I set the body text size at 20pts, which to my eyes works fine.
I will try your settings later and let you know the outcome. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

It does look much better. But still I find the RTF easier to read. What font do you use because maybe my font (Times New Roman) is not the best.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Based on the copyright notices it seems that Sony is using Bitstream fonts where Swiss=Helv=Arial and Dutch=Times=Times New Roman. My best luck (so far) has been with TNR at 16 pt for body text in RTF. Readable in S with glasses, M in lower light, and L in normal light without glasses.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
It does look much better. But still I find the RTF easier to read. What font do you use because maybe my font (Times New Roman) is not the best.
The font I use in Word, when I print to PDF is "Book Antiqua" I have also found that "Lucida Fax" is a very readable font too.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Will try that, thanks!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've found a font which works very well for "Reader" books is Tahoma 16pt.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

What ever works for you. My Ancient Eyes require a BIG point font.
More page turns but less eye strain