Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Reader Died

My Sony PRS 600 has given up the ghost. The battery life has been erratic since new, and I never felt I was getting close to the 7500 page turns, 750 might have been closer. This morning it went from 2 bars to No Battery opening a book. So I charged it up using the mains charger after 6 hours it is till charging with the red light on. I unplugged it anyway and on start-up it announced "No Battery". The last resort is the Hard reset, but I think it may be a warranty return.
Anyone else out there seen anything like this, or have any other ideas on what to do?
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
the_callant
Connoisseur

Well a hard reset did nothing to help. So I am now faced with a decision. I cannot get by without my reader, I gave all my paper to the charity shops. So the question is .......another 600 or a 300. I am leaning to the 300, but then the covers I have will fit the 600. I know my current 600 is covered by warranty, but it could take weeks. I need to read.
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Have you tried recharging through the computer? Maybe your wall charger is the problem.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Exclamation

i may have a spare battery and possibly a mainboard to sell, as i am purchasing a broken PRS600 for parts to repair mine (touch screen and front panel)

any use?
i dont want much for it, just the postage.

due to my own reader being damaged i have a partial dismantling guide if its of use. to get the back cover off required undoing two screws unlike the '505 and is relatively simple.

the battery IMHO is the weak point on these readers as it can fail due to overdischarge (had it happen to my '505) and also just sitting there causes Li-Ions to internally corrode.
Common on old laptops it seems.

regards, -A

Last edited by conundrum; 04-10-2010 at 07:59 PM.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm sorry to hear about your problem, the_callant.
Are you able to take it back to the store and get an exchange?

I hope you are able to resolve the issue quickly, please let us know what happens.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Sounds very much like a crook battery.

If I were you the_callant, I would take a punt on conundrums spare battery if it would be quicker that taking it back for a replacement under warranty.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
the_callant
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Have you tried recharging through the computer? Maybe your wall charger is the problem.
This got me thinking so I "borrowed" my son's PSP charger and that seems to have done the trick. The battery is now fully charged and I am loading books back on to it.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
This got me thinking so I "borrowed" my son's PSP charger and that seems to have done the trick. The battery is now fully charged and I am loading books back on to it.
Cool. I hope that solves the problem for you!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just curious. What did you use for your mains charger? One you bought from Sony for the Reader or just a USB wall charger? I don't think USB wall chargers work for Sony readers.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
the_callant
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Just curious. What did you use for your mains charger? One you bought from Sony for the Reader or just a USB wall charger? I don't think USB wall chargers work for Sony readers.
I was using the Sony wall charger with the coaxial plug, this was the one that didn't seem to work, and it's also the expensive one. The low cost PSP charger does a better job, although it's charging now, and has been for 4 hours. I'm not sure if everything is OK just yet. I tend not to use the USB charging snce I cannot charge and read.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
I use a wall USB charger from ASDA to charge my PRS-505, Nintendo DS Lite, TomTom, ipod touch, and a few other bits. It has worked perfectly for 4 months. I think it cost about £5.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #12
conundrum
Enthusiast

Exclamation

Just obtained the broken reader from one of the nice guys on the forum.

battery once charged works fine, so i have a known good (2 weeks old) battery here complete with connector.

also have a usb and data board if needed.

pm me and i'll send it to you along with install instructions.
Requires undoing two screws while reader on flat surface, sliding back the back cover and lifting up, then gently lift out the old battery and remove connector. replace new battery (DO NOT press down hard at all!) and fit connector the right way round with the wires in the same location as the old battery.
replace cover and screws then try external charge.
If it works the unit will turn on and display a low battery warning within about an hour.

fwiw i had to resort to the 5v external brick (in my case a creative muvo2) to get it going after changing the battery, for some reason leaving it in storage caused the battery to go dormant and usb charge failed with the RLOD (red light of doom)
Resetting and suchlike didn't work, but external charge did.

regards, -A

"Bother" said Pooh, as he experienced the joys of Norwalk virus...

Last edited by conundrum; 04-14-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I use a wall USB charger from ASDA to charge my PRS-505, Nintendo DS Lite, TomTom, ipod touch, and a few other bits. It has worked perfectly for 4 months. I think it cost about £5.
That is very interesting. I never tried a USB wall charger myself but from accounts in these forums they seem to discharge the reader instead of charging it. Seems like the Sony reader needs to communicate with a computer via USB in order for it to start charging when using a USB charger.

I wonder what's different about USB chargers made by ASDA.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
That is very interesting. I never tried a USB wall charger myself but from accounts in these forums they seem to discharge the reader instead of charging it. Seems like the Sony reader needs to communicate with a computer via USB in order for it to start charging when using a USB charger.

I wonder what's different about USB chargers made by ASDA.
It is different in the sense that does not say "Made in China" either on the gadget or on the packaging. Just a featureless white plastic 13amp plug with one of the brightest red LEDs I've ever seen. Asda WM400.

When I got it, it came with a PSP compatible cable with 2 plugs on the business end. One USB and one yellow jack-plug type. I charge the PRS-505 using the USB wall charger, as I said, and the yellow jack-plug, as I didn't say but obviously should.

Sorry about that, I'm a bad person.

Last edited by banjomike; 04-13-2010 at 05:02 PM.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #15
conundrum
Enthusiast

Talking charger "good" list

hi..
add Creative Muvo2 chargers to the "working" list.
recharged my Reader just fine to 100%.

just my $0.04 worth (adjusted for inflation)

Just a thought, but have you considered that the USB connector may be damaged? those nasty 5 pin leads are prone to this as my very expensive HTC Touch died from connector failure.
the nice guys at HTC kindly fixed it for me but sadly the problem recurred less than a month later.

again i had to resort to removing and charging the battery in my Hahmel universal charger (the thumb screw one from Jessops) but so far it is holding.

IMHO this is a weak point with any usb-charged device, the leads get a *lot* of use and a cheap connector here comes back to bite the manufacturers in short order

-A

"Bother" said Pooh, as his purchased EL sheet was the size of a postage stamp...

Last edited by conundrum; 04-14-2010 at 03:17 AM.