Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Shellbell
Shellbell began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Dictionary

I'm sure this solution is probably posted in these forums somewhere. My question is how do I bring up the dictionary on my nook. I've had it for about a month now and just now by accident brought it up.So how do I bring it up again as I'm not sure how I did it in the first place...Please help...Thank You

Shellbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
I think you can't open the dictionary directly. While reading a book, you select Lookup Word option from the menu ( you'll have to scroll down to see it) and select a word on the screen to get the details displayed.
Also, i don't think this works in a pdf.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
What hharan said.

Oh, and the dictionary is absolutely horrid. There are only 40,000 entries since it's using the Miriam Webster "Pocket" Dictionary eBook. Yes, a pocket eBook, don't ask me why. Also, it cannot find words unless it is the EXACT spelling. If there are prefixes (de-, un-, pre-, etc...) or suffixes (-ing, -ed, -s, etc...) you won't find it. It's pretty much useless. Go to BN.com and look up Miriam Webster Pocket Dictionary eBook and read the reviews. Most of them are complaints about the horrid dictionary lookup on the nook.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Can you replace the dictionary with a different one?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Can you replace the dictionary with a different one?
Not Yet
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert