Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Best Case-Agnostic Light

So I've played with a few lights in my day, but nothing has really done a lot for me - they all glare in one spot and aren't bright enough in others.

So... I'm thinking about getting a new one, but I want one better than all that... and something I can switch from my K2 in it's Amazon case to the KDX.

I understand the DX might pose some size issues.. but assuming just the K2 - what's the best option?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
agnostic light? it just can't make up it's mind?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

It's alight with existential doubt.

"alight" ha ha.

Dear God, I'm becoming my father.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
is it attempting to light your way to your one true path?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I personally like the Mighty Brite Xtra Flex 2. I have this one, and its two levels allow me to adjust for the perfect level of readability.

However, I bought mine at my local Barnes & Nobel for about $15.00. Here it is at their site.

Hope this post was more illuminating than the others.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Lightbulb

I have the Mighty Brite also and I find it to be fine for the Kindle2 as far as lighting goes. Even at the single light setting I get quite adequate lighting over the whole page and, with care, I can position it to a non-reflective location.

However, as far as portability, not so good. I purchased the light with the idea that it would allow me to read in dimly lit restaurants and I discovered that; 1) Since I normally carry my Kindle2 in an Amazon Cover without any bag or anything the light is not convenient. Adds quite a bit of weight and flops around unless I hold it correctly while walking about. 2) Once in the restaurant holding the Kindle2 plus light is considerably heavier, think mid-sized hardbound book weight instead of paperback weight.

For reading in bed I've discovered that the light shifts position when I do and requires frequent readjustment which is just annoying.

I suspect that for the DX the Mighty Brite, with its second light, would provide excellent lighting across the entire page.

All in all the Mighty Brite gets a 9 on lighting, a 4 or 5 on weight, and a 4 or 5 on convenience.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I've tried the Might Bright lights but found that the Verilux Natural Spectrum Deluxe Travel light works better for me. It is hard on batteries (so I use rechargables) but my eyes feel better and the light reflected from the Kindle isn't as bad (at least my wife doesn't complain as much). I also got a dark skin from DecalGirl so the white around the screen on the Kindle2 doesn't reflect so much light.

http://www.amazon.com/Verilux-Natura...3908065&sr=8-1
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go with the verilux and see what happens (and some rechargeable batteries!)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm using a head torch these days with my Sony... it really doesn't mind what case I use...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go with the verilux and see what happens (and some rechargeable batteries!)
Good luck...

Wait a second... You claim to be a Wearer of Pants and from Norman,OK?

Something doesn't
seem right there.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Good luck...

Wait a second... You claim to be a Wearer of Pants and from Norman,OK?

Something doesn't
seem right there.
Well, clearly not ALL the time... I mean, let's all be reasonable here.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Picked up the Verilux book light. It's excellent! Really, best I've ever used! No s.glare, the entire screen is well lit and there's even a movable shade to keep it out of your eye

And it charges batteries itself, assuming you have rechargeable batteries - you just plug it into a USB port!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do we need yet another "what light should I get for my reader" thread when we have perfectly good threads on MR already?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12668

See post #17 for the best light (IMHO) that would work well with a K1 or K2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Picked up the Verilux book light. It's excellent! Really, best I've ever used! No s.glare, the entire screen is well lit and there's even a movable shade to keep it out of your eye

And it charges batteries itself, assuming you have rechargeable batteries - you just plug it into a USB port!
Hello Gideon - Glad you like it It appears that forum members have very strong opinions about their lights (as they do their ebook readers). I have found that I end up putting the Verilux on the right side of the Kindle 2 and using the movable shade so I get great coverage on the Kindle screen but shield my wife from the glare.
Joe
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Because the issue is never settled, Jon. I didn't want the best light for the Kindle, I wanted the best light that would also probably be good on the DX. I wanted the opinion of people who know something about these things on this particular issue. I don't know squat about book lights as I hardly ever use them, but will have to start soon. It's not a matter of me not being willing to read the thread so much as that people who actually have experience with book lights will have a better perspective than I on a changing situation.

I think the Verilux does it. I'll have to see about how well it works on the DX but on the Kindle it's great. It's not even, but that doesn't bother me - there's no glare and it is ALL readable. Recharging is also an excellent job.

It doesn't seem to heavy to me. It's a bit bulky but all reading lights are bulky in some way or another, even the little tiny ones are awkward to deal with.