Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
My take on the backordered battery fiasco

As my Kindle is more than a year old now, I decided to order an extra battery just in case, even though have had no problems with the original. It shocks me to realize if the battery dies, the K can't be used. I will have just an expensive door stop. More shocking is that Amazon totally ignores the large base of K1 owners and refuses to even give an explanation of the situation.

For what it is worth, and expect it is worth nothing, here is the email I sent to them regarding this:

"I realize there must be some reason for the backorders of this Kindle battery, but from what I can see on the forums, it has been an exceptionally long time that this has not been available.

As one of the large group of loyal Kindle1 owners, all of whom love the device, it seems extraordinary that it is still impossible to estimate a date when they will be ready. Amazon should at least be forthcoming and explain exactly what the situation is. Where is the battery made, why in the world can not some other battery manufacturer make these, and so forth.

If a battery fails, the valuable Kindle will not be usable, and yet we are left in the dark about any expected date. Some have suggested that this is an Amazon plot to make K1 owners buy the Kindle2. I choose to believe this is not true, but I and others would be more at ease about Amazon's motives if a reasonable explanation of the situation were made to current owners. Otherwise, many will lose faith with the Kindle group, and it will not be to the advantage of Amazon."
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can order a K1 battery at BatteryShip.com. The cost is $18.95 + shipping. They say they are backordered but will ship by February 28, 2009. My guess would be that the back order there is due to the back order on Amazon.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...0&model=Kindle
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon's way of pressuring you into buying the Kindle II
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
There is also this one at Radio Shack -- it comes in and out of stock.

I don't see any conspiracy here, just limited supply for an item that is a bit of a niche product.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can order a K1 battery at BatteryShip.com. The cost is $18.95 + shipping. They say they are backordered but will ship by February 28, 2009. My guess would be that the back order there is due to the back order on Amazon.

Thanks, Wolf. I heard of this and Radio Shack, but assumed they were not going to get any before Amazon, but if the 2/28 ship date is true, that is a good deal. Just ordered one. If they get it to me first, will cancel the Amazon order.

bwaldron, I don't really think it is a conspiracy, that was just tongue-in-cheek, and something to maybe scare Amazon into playing fair with customers. But, on the other hand...

We will see.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
And here's a site that does not mention a backorder, same price ($18.98 + S & H).

Gene

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBook-Reader-Bat...efaultDomain_0
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Amazon's way of pressuring you into buying the Kindle II
[sarcasm]I agree. Amazon is evil, after all. [/sarcasm]
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuPhinger View Post
And here's a site that does not mention a backorder, same price ($18.98 + S & H).

Gene

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBook-Reader-Bat...efaultDomain_0
Actually, it does mention a backorder. And this is wrong. Either they have the item they are selling or they don't and if they don't, they should not be selling it until they have it in hand.

Quote:
BATTERY SHIPS FEB 28TH

PLEASE NOTE: BATTERY SHIPS FEBRUARY 28TH

DUE TO THE HEAVY DEMAND FOR THIS BATTERY, ORDERS WILL NOT BE SHIPPING UNTIL FEB 28TH
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuPhinger View Post
Heh. Buying from Vegas via eBay...

do I feel lucky today?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Heh. Buying from Vegas via eBay...

do I feel lucky today?
It's not a super high dollar item, i think you'll be fine.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There are at least 20 Kindle batteries for sale on eBay spread across 2 BIN auctions. I posted this on the Amazon forums yesterday, so if you need a battery, you should jump on it now!

I ordered 2 batteries at the end of November because my psychic duck powers foretold the shortage. I received my batteries last week so they seem to be coming in a little at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think you're right but that was why I said I think eBay prices for 1.0 will go up. If 2.0 is not superior to 1.0, those who can will look to purchase 1.0 from other sources because they will still be able to change the battery and use an SD card.

BTW, 1.0 owners may want to purchase that replacement battery before they become rare (with lack of support for 1.0). I'm placing my order today.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
You folks are making the Mrs nervous, she wants me to order a battery now. Thanks
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Thank you for the link to BatteryShip! I will add it to my collection.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
It shocks me to realize if the battery dies, the K can't be used.
Will you be able to plug it in and read it or when the battery is dead, your kindle is dead?
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
mine finally shipped

To others who may be waiting on kindle 1 batteries to get back in stock, here's my update (a la daffy): Mine finally shipped today, and was ordered on 12/3. Yeah, not exactly speedy... but looks like they are finally getting out.
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote