Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Ebenist
Ebenist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
PDFs with annotations

I read a lot of PDFs in Goodreader on iPad. They are mainly on historical subjects and into them I often add annotations. Usually these are links to internet sites or my own comments. I foresee that it will not be long before Goodreader becomes uncomfortably cluttered with the sheer number of documents. I would like to transfer some to one of my Calibre libraries. Will my annotations be retained.
Ebenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenist View Post
I read a lot of PDFs in Goodreader on iPad. They are mainly on historical subjects and into them I often add annotations. Usually these are links to internet sites or my own comments. I foresee that it will not be long before Goodreader becomes uncomfortably cluttered with the sheer number of documents. I would like to transfer some to one of my Calibre libraries. Will my annotations be retained.
Unless they are truly inserted (as opposed to just linked to) into the PDF, No.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Ebenist

Thank you for that. What I do is to use the Sticky Note tool in the Goodreader toolbar. Does that mean they are just "linked"? if so, what do I do to "properly insert" them?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenist View Post
Thank you for that. What I do is to use the Sticky Note tool in the Goodreader toolbar. Does that mean they are just "linked"? if so, what do I do to "properly insert" them?
I am so, not an Apple person

Acrobat (full version) is the only way I know how to edit a PDF (to insert notes and things).
Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
I like marking up PDFs as well (in my case, using an old Windows XP tablet), so I was curious about what this iPad software does. And good news, it appears that annotations are preserved in the file itself. According to this page on the Goodreader website (http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-view-pdf.html#annots):
Quote:
All annotations that you create or edit in GoodReader - notes, highlights, markups, and drawings - are saved in a PDF file, so you will be able to see them later on a computer or in another copy of GoodReader on your colleague's device.
This means your annotations should show up whenever you open your file, on whatever computer you use.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Ebenist

Thank you both for your imput. So that I dont lose anything, and based on surrealmind's comment concerning PDFs & Goodreader, I'll set up a lttle test. Put some annotations into a dummy PDF, transfer it into Calibre, rename it and send it back to Goodreader (tomorrow's job!) Will let you know how it goes. Incidentally, Goodreder is the most fantastic piece of kit.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Ebenist

I did the test mentioned yesterday. It was really successful. All the Annotations and Outlines (that had been added in Goodreader) appeared, completely unchanged and fully functioning after the document had been transferred into a Calibre library. In fact the only thing different to navigating around the document in Calibre, as opposed to in Goodreader, is that bookmarks are not available. That really isn't a great loss as most bookmarks I put in are temporary.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Great to hear (not that I will ever use this), I now have another solution to refer people to.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Yes, that is great news Ebenist. And I didn't realize that Calibre has its own pdf reader, I must be out of the loop. I would imagine that Acrobat preserves the bookmarks if you really need them, though (Acrobat does recognize the bookmarks I make in PDF Annotator, at any rate).

If I ever make the switch to an iPad, I'll have to look into Goodreader.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does NOT have its own PDF reader. If you tell Calibre to use its own viewer for PDF files (instead of the system PDF viewer), then it does an internal conversion to ePub as the Calibre built-in viewer is basically an epub viewer. This often gives bad results because PDF files convert badly and so I suspect most people leave Calibre set to use the system's PDF viewer for that file type.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Ebenist

I hadn't realised either that when I open a PDF in Calibre it wasn't using a PDF reader. However,when I open the PDF that I've annotated in Goodreader I see everything except bookmarks, exactly as I made them. One thing I hadn't mentioned, and perhaps it has some bearing on itimpi's comments, the PDFs I'm working with are almost exclusively microfilmed books that I have download either from Google books or Archive Org.
Apropos surealmind's comment regarding Acrobat. I'd love to try it and having flattened the bank to buy the iPad my pockets are not quite deep enough at the moment!!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Dear Ebenist
As far as I understand, on mac usually <<preview / Vorschau>> opens to view all different kinds of documents, including pdf-files.
Actually <<preview / vorschau >> is able to show bookmarks made by Acrobate (or other pdf-software??). Just have a look into <<help / bookmark>> within the mac-programm <<preview / Vorschau>>.
I´m a german user, so I don´t know the english menu-bar.

greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote