Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle Cloud Reader

FYI - Kindle now has a cloud reader. It seems to have basic functionality right now. You can create bookmarks and view notes/highlights. However, you can't add notes/highlights, and there doesn't seem to be dictionary support at this time. I'm using the Chrome Web App version. This definitely has potential.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the "User Guide"
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
FYI - Kindle now has a cloud reader. It seems to have basic functionality right now. You can create bookmarks and view notes/highlights. However, you can't add notes/highlights, and there doesn't seem to be dictionary support at this time. I'm using the Chrome Web App version. This definitely has potential.
It has a Kindle Store button and it works on an iPad. I hope Mr. Jobs is gratified that HTML5 is turning out to be so versatile.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here's the link from the Twitter feed: https://read.amazon.com/about
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool snicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
It has a Kindle Store button and it works on an iPad. I hope Mr. Jobs is gratified that HTML5 is turning out to be so versatile.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
His famous "you don't need flash just HTML5 support" statement might have bitten him in the butt!

I don't see a way to sideload books though. I doubt I'll try the app anytime soon as I've pretty much given up using the iPad for reading. I now just use my Android phone and the Kindle 3. I wonder if the Android app will get updated to function similarly?

Also, this new app is NOT compatible with Internet Explorer 9. It require Chrome or Safari to run on Windows.

EDIT: I hate the so-called cloud. I want total access all the time to my library, documents, photos, etc. I wish these cloud-happy companies would buzz off. It is merely a way to make the cellular providers even more wealthy.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-10-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
His famous "you don't need flash just HTML5 support" statement might have bitten him in the butt!

I don't see a way to sideload books though. I doubt I'll try the app anytime soon as I've pretty much given up using the iPad for reading. I now just use my Android phone and the Kindle 3. I wonder if the Android app will get updated to function similarly?

Also, this new app is NOT compatible with Internet Explorer 9. It require Chrome or Safari to run on Windows.

EDIT: I hate the so-called cloud. I want total access all the time to my library, documents, photos, etc. I wish these cloud-happy companies would buzz off. It is merely a way to make the cellular providers even more wealthy.
It can use improvement and I'm sure it will get it. 'Zon has their foot in the door, at least.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
I hate the so-called cloud. I want total access all the time to my library, documents, photos, etc. I wish these cloud-happy companies would buzz off. It is merely a way to make the cellular providers even more wealthy.
I understand how you feel. As consumers, we need to become more and more tech savvy so that we can be sure to actually "hold on" to the things we've purchased.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Please don't tell me you still use IE ... ...IE sucks ... I don't even use it at work.

Chrome and Firefox are faster and better, even more secure. Try any of those, and you'll see. The pages download faster and they even use less RAM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I tried it out via the Safari web browser on Windows 7. I'm not impressed. It is the same old stuff that Amazon cannot seem to get past, mainly lack of formatting. Still no font choices. Still no Kindle font. I sure hope their new Kindles, if they exist, have better formatting control. I was hoping this new app would, but nope.

I don't really care about a button to go to the Kindle store. Big whoop. I always shop at Amazon via a web browser on a desktop anyway, then download the files to my devices, or sideload them after stripping the DRM and making the format easier to read.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I tried it out via the Safari web browser on Windows 7. I'm not impressed. It is the same old stuff that Amazon cannot seem to get past, mainly lack of formatting. Still no font choices. Still no Kindle font. I sure hope their new Kindles, if they exist, have better formatting control. I was hoping this new app would, but nope.

I don't really care about a button to go to the Kindle store. Big whoop. I always shop at Amazon via a web browser on a desktop anyway, then download the files to my devices, or sideload them after stripping the DRM and making the format easier to read.
Jack,

This came out a few hours ago. Look how nice Kindle for iOs look now. Not perfect, but took some time to refine.

This is by no means a Kindle device replacement, but think about this as another way to enjoy or read your Amazon books.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Jack,

This came out a few hours ago. Look how nice Kindle for iOs look now. Not perfect, but took some time to refine.

This is by no means a Kindle device replacement, but think about this as another way to enjoy or read your Amazon books.
Kindle for iOS looks pretty much like this app, except with this app you cannot select text for dictionary lookup and highlighting and you cannot search within books. Otherwise Kindle for iOS is crap as you cannot change fonts are do much formatting. Not that it matters as I cannot read on my iPad anyway with that low resolution screen and lackluster text rendering. I mostly read on the K3 or my Android phone.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Kindle for iOS looks pretty much like this app, except with this app you cannot select text for dictionary lookup and highlighting and you cannot search within books. Otherwise Kindle for iOS is crap as you cannot change fonts are do much formatting. Not that it matters as I cannot read on my iPad anyway with that low resolution screen and lackluster text rendering. I mostly read on the K3 or my Android phone.
Hmmm, I disagree.

I don't think Kindle for iOs is crap. Granted, I prefer my Kindle 3, is eink, but the Kindle for iOs does a decent job. Actually, I personally believe that the iOs version is better than the Android counterpart, now that you mention your Android phone, which for sure is more uncomfortable to read giving the screen size. I doubt your cellphone screen is bigger than iPad's.

I won't comment on the iPad resolution. I think is a great tablet though.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
This is great for a number of reasons

1) Books you actually buy from amazon you can get now on your laptop..so combined with calibre everything on kindles can be read on other computers

2) Notes and highlights I make on the kindle I can see in cloud... so I can look back

I have to wonder how many i.p's they'd allow per account at once. It could be interesting from a teaching perspective to put notes and highlights of a texbook and then let others see them
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote