Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #856
sakariax
Acolyte
sakariax began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet, Acer Iconia B1, Android 4.1.2 (+ Android phone)
Hello, my fellow mobile readers everywhere!

Has anyone by chance brought up the issue of titles and browsing on Cool Reader? I can't seem to find an option in my Android Cool Reader for the software to "ignore" English articles in the beginning of book titles, like Calibre for Windows does for example—so that "The Life of Thomas More" would be listed right after "Life Itself: A Memoir" when sorting by title? – I'm considering systematically removing all the articles in the beginning of book titles, eg. "Life of Thomas More, the", but I'm wondering if there might yet be a chance to do this by fixing some settings? Or if someone might by stroke of luck have written a nifty plugin to do just this very thing.

Thanks!

Last edited by sakariax; 02-10-2014 at 08:29 AM.
sakariax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #857
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakariax View Post
Hello, my fellow mobile readers everywhere!

Has anyone by chance brought up the issue of titles and browsing on Cool Reader? I can't seem to find an option in my Android Cool Reader for the software to "ignore" English articles in the beginning of book titles, like Calibre for Windows does for example—so that "The Life of Thomas More" would be listed right after "Life Itself: A Memoir" when sorting by title? – I'm considering systematically removing all the articles in the beginning of book titles, eg. "Life of Thomas More, the", but I'm wondering if there might yet be a chance to do this by fixing some settings? Or if someone might by stroke of luck have written a nifty plugin to do just this very thing.

Thanks!
That does seem like a nice feature to be able to enable/disable the capability to ignore grammatical articles in a search or title listing. Unfortunately I have not seen such a feature in CoolReader. For a long time now, I have been doing as you mentioned to prevent sorting on grammatical articles.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #858
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That does seem like a nice feature to be able to enable/disable the capability to ignore grammatical articles in a search or title listing. Unfortunately I have not seen such a feature in CoolReader. For a long time now, I have been doing as you mentioned to prevent sorting on grammatical articles.
When exporting from calibre use the metadata plug boards to change Title to Title sort. Then Coolreader should sort them properly. If you use use filenames instead of metadata then you can use title sort as the filename output as well.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #859
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Where is Buggins?

Is Buggins still working on Cool Reader? Any rumors?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #860
sakariax
Acolyte
sakariax began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet, Acer Iconia B1, Android 4.1.2 (+ Android phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
When exporting from calibre use the metadata plug boards to change Title to Title sort. Then Coolreader should sort them properly. If you use use filenames instead of metadata then you can use title sort as the filename output as well.
Well I'll be! Thank you very much, a very nice solution, this was!
sakariax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #861
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Is Buggins still working on Cool Reader? Any rumors?

Regards - John
I do see a few commits on the sourceforge page but very sporadically he is rehauling the whole gui from what I can see. Although he seems more interested in Tizen Os app than android at the moment. Now that Samsung and Google have patched up he might move back to android again as Tizen is unlikely to take off.
Just yesterday I saw an updated android coolreader app didn't try it as my S4 broke and am stuck using my cousins Iphone 4s at the moment as it the only spare phone with the smaller sim that was available. And I would rather wait for and get the S5 when it gets released instead of an older generation phone. You can get it from the below link. I havent tried it on my nook touch either as the playstore version is ok for it. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...-newui-opengl/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #862
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Just yesterday I saw an updated android coolreader app didn't try it as my S4 broke and am stuck using my cousins Iphone 4s at the moment as it the only spare phone with the smaller sim that was available. And I would rather wait for and get the S5 when it gets released instead of an older generation phone. You can get it from the below link. I havent tried it on my nook touch either as the playstore version is ok for it. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...-newui-opengl/
Well the GUI has certainly changed and as of now, many of the old features (settings) are missing. So I guess we will just have to wait for the final product.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #863
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
New CoolReader version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Well the GUI has certainly changed and as of now, many of the old features (settings) are missing. So I guess we will just have to wait for the final product.

Regards - John
I'm reimplementing CoolReader UI on C++/OpenGL (instead of Java in version available on Play Market).
This would allow to share the same code base for all of platforms (previously, only book parsing/rendering engine has been shared across platforms, while Android UI code was different).

Currently, Android, Windows, Linux and Tizen platforms supported.

For now,

Updates can be downloaded from SourceForge

This version resembles look and feel of former android version. But not all features are implemented yet.

What is better in new version:
  • faster graphics (especially on full HD screens)
  • nice paperbook-like 3D page flipping
  • OPDS supports login/password and HTTPS (may be user to access private Calibre catalog).
    Multi-touch gestures
What is missing:
  • Text To Speech
  • Some settings
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #864
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Thank you, Buggins; I'm looking forward to trying the new features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
I'm reimplementing CoolReader UI on C++/OpenGL (instead of Java in version available on Play Market).
This would allow to share the same code base for all of platforms (previously, only book parsing/rendering engine has been shared across platforms, while Android UI code was different).

For now,

This version resembles look and feel of former android version. But not all features are implemented yet.

• OPDS supports login/password and HTTPS (may be user to access private Calibre catalog).
    Multi-touch gestures
What is missing:
  • Text To Speech
  • Some settings
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #865
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

For now,

Multi-touch gestures
What is missing:
  • Text To Speech
  • Some settings
One thing I would really like to see is the number of pages left in the current chapter and the total pages in the current chapter in the title bar. That's about the only thing keeping me from using CoolReader instead of Moon+ Pro.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #866
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
I downloaded from SourceForge, installed and deleted 3 minutes later; I did not like the GUI and as Jabby said the settings are not available. Sadly, based on what I saw I am not optimistic. I guess it'll just be FBreader from now on for me.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #867
Kaverin
Kaverin began at the beginning.

Device: NST, NSTG, KT, K5 PW
Could someone else confirm for me if the recent version of Cool Reader from the market (3.1.2-34) has operational partial refresh options on version 1.2.1 of the Nook Simple Touch firmware? With 1.1.x, the partial refresh options worked fine on my original NST, but after updating to 1.2.0 on it, those options didn't work in CR anymore and gave me full screen blanking on each page turn. I ended up going back to 1.1on it. I've since picked up a NST glowlight (not the newest white one) which has 1.2.x software, and even with the most recent CR version that seems to have the NST specific options in the configuration, I still get full screen blanking on each page turn no matter which of the 3 options I select. I've seen in other threads and various places where people are reporting it works on their NSTG devices. I've tried a copy from the Android market and from the Sourceforge page as well with no luck. The NST specific options are there, but don't change anything. I eventually found a version of FBReader which does address the changes to the eInk handling in 1.2.x, but I don't know for sure if any of those updates were ported to CR as they were a long time ago (in 3.0.49 or so I think).
Kaverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #868
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaverin View Post
Could someone else confirm for me if the recent version of Cool Reader from the market (3.1.2-34) has operational partial refresh options on version 1.2.1 of the Nook Simple Touch firmware? With 1.1.x, the partial refresh options worked fine on my original NST, but after updating to 1.2.0 on it, those options didn't work in CR anymore and gave me full screen blanking on each page turn. I ended up going back to 1.1on it. I've since picked up a NST glowlight (not the newest white one) which has 1.2.x software, and even with the most recent CR version that seems to have the NST specific options in the configuration, I still get full screen blanking on each page turn no matter which of the 3 options I select. I've seen in other threads and various places where people are reporting it works on their NSTG devices. I've tried a copy from the Android market and from the Sourceforge page as well with no luck. The NST specific options are there, but don't change anything. I eventually found a version of FBReader which does address the changes to the eInk handling in 1.2.x, but I don't know for sure if any of those updates were ported to CR as they were a long time ago (in 3.0.49 or so I think).
Try latest version 3.1.2-38 from Sourceforge
Not yet available on Play Market.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #869
Kaverin
Kaverin began at the beginning.

Device: NST, NSTG, KT, K5 PW
Quote:
Try latest version 3.1.2-38 from Sourceforge
Not yet available on Play Market.
I had a chance to try that one out earlier, but on my NSTG (it's actually on 1.2.1, but I thought it was 1.2.0), the partial refresh options still seem to do nothing to the operation. I'll still get full screen blanking on each page turn regardless of the settings. And just to make sure, I uninstalled the apk, removed all the settings, cleared the Dalvik cache, rebooted, and then reinstalled 3.1.2-38 and allowed it to rewrite the cr3.ini file. Even after all that I was still getting full refreshes on each page turn.

I updated the apk on my NST with 1.1.0 (I thought it had 1.1.2 but I was mistaken), and it still behaves as expected. The three refresh modes work perfectly and I can set the full page refresh up to 20 pages per occurance.

If you're curious, the version of FBReader I have which has the working partial refresh on 1.2.x firmware is reported as "1.9.4. for Nook Simple Touch (109041)".
Kaverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #870
Buggins
Zealot

Updated version in Market

Version on Market is updated to 3.1.2-39

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader