Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Mer 0.15 Testing on SmartQ 7

Just wanted to give folks an update on my status. I know I've promised some screenshots and other posts that I haven't had time for due to an unexpected international business trip. I should be back on track now. So what did I see after my little trip? A new test version of Mer.

I followed the instructions at http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Documentation/Installation for the SmartQ 5, which works exactly the same as the SmartQ 7 during the install except you need to name the image SmartQ7 instead of SmartQ5. The image, by the way, is located at http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0...sting7.SmartQ7.

So what have I encountered so far? Let me summarize my findings.

1. Mer is really much much faster than the default ubuntu OS that ships with the device. No delay in launching applications or using the OS.

2. I can run all of the programs I use on the Q7 on Mer. I was able to sucessfully install and run FBreader, Mirage Image Viewer, Comix comic book viewer, and Tear comes loaded default with Mer right now. Performance on ALL of these applications is better than on the default OS.

3. I've already discovered some bugs and today will be turning in my bug report. There are some glitches running certain applications and certain features of the OS are not finished yet - but hey - its only version 0.15 and it is fantastic so far. For example, I had to make customizations to get the SD card to mount automatically during boot and also assign functionality to the keys on the face of the device. These things will be fixed in a future image for the SmartQ 7 (and I had something to do with those fixes! ).

4. I noticed many great improvements in 0.15 over the previous version I tested (0.14).

5. I'm still learning what audio and video capabilities are ready for Mer - but I think those are still in development. Once they are ready, I'll be able to run a very nice application called Canola, which Nokia users will definately recognize as a nice multimedia player. For now, I'm using my iPod Touch for music.

So you might have gathered that I'm sticking with the Mer OS for the time being from the information above. I'll be actively helping with the testing of this OS on the SmartQ 7 because there just aren't that many folks with it and they need people to test Mer. Interestingly enough, the OS works well enough to surf the web and read ebooks. My advice is to wait until a later release for average users to install it on their device. If you don't mind technical difficulties, and want to help test Mer, please join us!

I also have to thank the Mer community for being so helpful. Their IRC channel is full of volunteers that are polite and helpful. It really is a good project full of nice people.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

Regards,
Cold
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Hi Cold,

Looking like there are some pretty cool developments for the SmartQ 7!

I too will probably be interested in trying Mer and possibly submitting bug reports, I think if it's good for ebooks then I'll be happy enough!

Do all the components such as the Wifi and USB ports work without any tweaking?
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I know the wifi works, although you need to install some drivers after the image is flashed. I'll check into the USB ports and get back to you.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
gerb
gerb began at the beginning.

Device: smartq 7
hmmm...I'm tring to put MER v.15 on it after putting firmware v4 and when I push the 'move' button (the button other than the '+' and '-' on the front) and plug in the power adapter i'm only getting a red blinking light, did firmware v4 change the button mapping for reflashing the OS?

Gerb
gerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Try using the other button that looks like a piece of paper.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Alslayer
Alslayer began at the beginning.

Coldsun do you have any pics of Mer on your device? I have seen screenshots of Mer but I would like to see your version. Maybe some shots of the browser and the FBreader.
Alslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
bogdandr
bogdandr began at the beginning.

hello,
is possible to run a flash webpage on smartq 7 with mer installed?
bogdandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
akos12
akos12 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Hello! I would like to install Mer 0.15 to my Smart Q7, but i have never had any kind of linux, so i don't really know how to do it. the instructons on the Mer site seems too hard for me. Can someone give a step-by-step tutorial to help me? Thge default OS on my Q7 is slow, and it sometimes freezes so that's why i'd like to try Mer. Can I listen to music on Mer? And if I install Mer, than I won't have the Q7's OS on my device, right?
I may install WinCE but the situtation is the same with Mer, I don't know how to do install, and as i read, WinCE is Chinese, which is also a problem. Thanks for any advice.
akos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Anybody know how to get a USB keyboard working in Mer at the command line (for when Hildon/Mer crashes out?)

I last tried to use Mer v.14 -- is the keyboard working in v.15?

It's all that is holding me back from using it (well, that and waiting for the device to come back from the factory.)

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Erhenius
Erhenius began at the beginning.

Same goes for me,

Don't know how to get the buttons working, the USB OTG working (usb keyboard) and packages from ubunu reposetories.

It's just the darn linux being a hassle to config

also how can i get a battery indicator.

Mer is snappy etc, but cant get the darn thing configed

(btw got wifi and midori running)
Erhenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
gerb
gerb began at the beginning.

here is the link for wifi, even wpa/wpa2 networks

http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/html/s...1#comment-1036
gerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #12
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Try using the other button that looks like a piece of paper.
Is that the move button? Or the SELECT button that's in line with the power button?

POWER | RETURN | SELECT

UP
DOWN
MOVE
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
Is that the move button? Or the SELECT button that's in line with the power button?

POWER | RETURN | SELECT

UP
DOWN
MOVE
Move button (front bottom)
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #14
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Move button (front bottom)
I tried, but when both are pressed I get RED LED, when I then let go of POWER I get ORANGE LED.

yikes lol...
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Azure_Acolyte
Azure_Acolyte began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX => N810 => Smart Q7
I'm running into the same problem as Serwei. I shut-down, insert the charger while holding the Move button. I only get the yellow/red light. When I release it, the system restarts as usual. Just to clarify, does the rootfs file have to be present on the card also?
Azure_Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote