Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How much Pages with one battery charge?? Sony T1 root
less than 500 pages 2 13.33%
more than 500 pages 5 33.33%
500 - 1000 pages 1 6.67%
more than 1000 pages 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Survey: Sony Reader T1 with root and Baterylife

How much pages did you read with your rooted Sony Reader? I managed just ca. 700 pages in 22 day, then i head no battery-lines anymore, and battery was on 10%.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
rubentje1991
Enthusiast
rubentje1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

My lasts at least one week (I can't say in page turns)...
=> I read news from different sites everyday (downloaded via calibre) => +100 pages/day; sometimes +200 page turns per day only for newsreading
=> also reading magazines, books, .... (50-100 pages a week? - never counted it - but that includes reading PDF which is a lot heavier)
=> using it with calendar (incl. syncing) en tasks (Shuffle app)
=> checking my mail sometimes (sync. also)
=> a little surfing each week (and a general sync nearly every day)

I do kill apps regularly with Advanced Task Killer (or sth like that?)

So... I'm satisfied with the battery and usage time (+1 week for an Android device)
rubentje1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
One day I'll find out exactly what rooting a reader means (or p'raps not, as it obviously needs more knowledge than two presses and a twiddle on a piece of tech-kit anyway ) but my un-rooted T1 is ridiculous.
I read a fair bit - two hours plus - every day, and haven't needed a charge now for over a month....
And still looking healthy.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
One day I'll find out exactly what rooting a reader means (or p'raps not, as it obviously needs more knowledge than two presses and a twiddle on a piece of tech-kit anyway ) but my un-rooted T1 is ridiculous.
I read a fair bit - two hours plus - every day, and haven't needed a charge now for over a month....
And still looking healthy.
Mines the same I seem to have way more battery than other people are reporting, I've had it about 3 months now and never given it a proper charge with the exception of topping it up for the last firmware update, I go through a couple of books a week easily and I've never actually managed to run the battery down beyond the first drop.

MY small occasional connections to sync with Calibre are enough to keep the bar full pretty much all the time.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Blaine L
Blaine L began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
Carpetmojo
Teknikal

I get about 3 weeks between charges from reading 2 hrs a day.

Do you keep the T1 in sleep mode or shut down the ereader at the end of each day? Curious whether there would be any benefit to shutting down.

BL
Blaine L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine L View Post
Carpetmojo
Teknikal

I get about 3 weeks between charges from reading 2 hrs a day.

Do you keep the T1 in sleep mode or shut down the ereader at the end of each day? Curious whether there would be any benefit to shutting down.

BL
I never reboot or fully power the device off, after reading I return to the home screen then enter sleep mode so I don't actually leave books open but I leave the device on.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Before rooting, battery should be fully charged.

Just in case you didn't notice: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST..._Recalibration

My T1 lasts 1..3 weeks, but sometimes it drains over night. Not sure why. Rooting itself can't be the cause (well, depending on the root package, but if it only adds SuperUser, it should not affect battery life).

Certain apps may drain battery. Google Calendar Provider for instance has a bug that definitely drains battery.

Edit: I updated the wiki. The key for proper battery re-calibration is pressing the reset button after deleting batterystats.bin

Another thing that may decrease battery life is Google Service Framework and Google Market. They cause wakelocks.

Disabling background sync in Settings / Accounts & Sync should help, but this will temporarely stop Market from working, so in order to use Market, you have to re-enable background sync and must not forget to disable it after you are finished with Market.

Last edited by uboot; 04-14-2012 at 02:07 PM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
rubentje1991
Enthusiast
rubentje1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Currently, my PRS-T1 is running 2 weeks (rooted, with Google Services Framework, Market, syncing, etc; however a little less WIFI-usage)...
I do power off over night, and I put a load of news articles each day on my reader.

Now surely running over 1000 pages
rubentje1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm very sorry, but I voted before seeing the "root" part of the question. My T1 is not rooted. I voted for over 1000 pages. Is it possible to rescind my vote?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Kindle App (latest) seems to prevent the T1 from proper sleeping, it seems!

Try it with WIFI off: uppon start, it tries to sync with Amazon server. If you switch the reader to standby, it is not really sleeping - the screen is still touch responsive and eventually turns on.

The solutions seems to have Kindle app killed before switching to standby.

I wish there was an option to restrict apps from using wake locks or alarms...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote