Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't forget to check the second link for chances to get free additional weeks.
I did, thank you. Only thing I did was Facebook for the one week. Have to try actually reading on the app and see how that goes. Right now I am not too impressed - I will never again complain about lack of settings in the Kindle app. Compared to scribd it looks a lot more polished. What I miss dearly is page buttons with volume keys or integration as audio player (notification, pause/start with remote on headphones, pause when headphones are unplugged) - Kindle combined with audible can do that. Adjustable playback speed is also lacking in scribd. Have to see if how future versions improve.

P.S.: fun fact for the Kindle app (possibly other apps as well): if using volume buttons to page, even the ones on remote will work (eg if using the Samsung ear buds).

Edit: the scribd android app will show up controls on the lock screen. That is probably the easiest way to pause it when you are currently not in the scribd app.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-06-2014 at 07:44 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It doesn't work on my Gingerbread device. Anyone know of a cheap small device it does work on? I love my Samsung Galaxy Player but it seems Gigerbread is being more and more left behind on my apps. I can read Scribd on it but it force closes when loading an audiobook. I opened a ticket but not much hope in them fixing it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I paid $42.70 for my AT&T Radiant. 4" screen, and it either runs Ice Cream or Jellybean. Only 2gb but has a card slot for 32gb. Hopefully I can download audio books to the card!

I'll let everyone know how it works on this phone when it gets here next week. (I didn't buy it to use as a phone, so won't be activating it).

ETA - a better phone, probably is the Moto G, which I see here for $75. But I didn't want to pay that much, at this time. I'm sure it has a newer version of Android, but it doesn't say.

Last edited by booklover6; 11-07-2014 at 08:17 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
ETA - a better phone, probably is the Moto G, which I see here for $75. But I didn't want to pay that much, at this time. I'm sure it has a newer version of Android, but it doesn't say.
The Moto G doesn't have a card slot; the Moto E does. The Moto E runs KitKat. I bought the E a few months back to use as a phone and a mini tablet, and I'm very pleased with it. It did cost more than the G, but the card slot was important to me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #35
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The Moto G doesn't have a card slot; the Moto E does. The Moto E runs KitKat. I bought the E a few months back to use as a phone and a mini tablet, and I'm very pleased with it. It did cost more than the G, but the card slot was important to me.
My Moto G has a card slot. I put a 32 GB card in it. But its the LTE version and it costs more than the E. Also the new 2014 Moto G with 5 inch screen also has sd card now. Only the first G's didn't have it.

Can one just use any prepaid android phone as a mini tablet? That would work, right?
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Can one just use any prepaid android phone as a mini tablet? That would work, right?
Pretty much. That's how I use my Nexus 4. I plan to buy a cheap no-contract Android phone on Black Friday to use primarily as a streaming audio player. Just waiting for the sales to begin.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes that should work. Just don't expect wonders. Unless it is a lot cheaper than $100, you should just get a Fire HD6. Plus any phone under $100 will be not suiteable as ereader unless you are willing to deal with a bad screen (size and resolution).
Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #38
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes that should work. Just don't expect wonders. Unless it is a lot cheaper than $100, you should just get a Fire HD6. Plus any phone under $100 will be not suiteable as ereader unless you are willing to deal with a bad screen (size and resolution).
I just meant for those that want a small device to use for audio books that needs to take apps. I wouldn't read on my phone, I have my kindles for it. A Fire 6 would still be pretty large if one wants to stick it in the pocket to listen too.

I was just wondering if it worked. I got my phone for audio and of course to finally have a data plan. Some Walmarts have the Cricket branded Moto E for $49.99 for example and if it can be used without having to activate the phone part, it would make a good player and then some. Would do everything on wifi.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I just meant for those that want a small device to use for audio books that needs to take apps. I wouldn't read on my phone, I have my kindles for it. A Fire 6 would still be pretty large if one wants to stick it in the pocket to listen too.

I was just wondering if it worked. I got my phone for audio and of course to finally have a data plan. Some Walmarts have the Cricket branded Moto E for $49.99 for example and if it can be used without having to activate the phone part, it would make a good player and then some. Would do everything on wifi.
You don't have to activate it and it can be used as mini tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Make sure it has the version of android that you need. Not all android prepaid phones are alike. Some of them are crap.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Make sure it has the version of android that you need. Not all android prepaid phones are alike. Some of them are crap.
Yes. I had a Pantech Crossover that I bought last year, running Gingerbread, and when the apps I was using got updated, they were no longer compatible. So I went with the Moto E. And now I can play Candy Crush Saga!

(Re the Moto G card slot--I didn't know there were different versions of the G; I was only referring to the inexpensive G in the Amazon product link.)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yes. I had a Pantech Crossover that I bought last year, running Gingerbread, and when the apps I was using got updated, they were no longer compatible.
That's what my sons have. I used one of them for a year. my Nokia Lumia 520 is SO much better. But it's Windows.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #43
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I paid $42.70 for my AT&T Radiant. 4" screen, and it either runs Ice Cream or Jellybean. Only 2gb but has a card slot for 32gb. Hopefully I can download audio books to the card!
I wouldn't count on it. While I was able to move the app to the ext sdcard, it still downloads to the internal storage. I manually moved the book from internal to external storage. It works until you play it back - thet chapter by chapter scribd copies it back to internal storage - presumable for buffering reasons. Why it can't play it back from external is beyond me. There is no option either to select storage location.

Another thing that is weird - deleting book from library does not automatically delete the downloaded version in the app.

So count on only relying on the internal storage only. Takes about 150 mb for each 10 hrs of audiobook.

Oh that is under the Note4 with 4.4.4
Old 11-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I
So count on only relying on the internal storage only. Takes about 150 mb for each 10 hrs of audiobook.

Good to know. So I should be able to download 1 or 2 books at a time, I hope. I don't know how much storage is available to the user. I will only use it for Scribd audio books.

If it doesn't work, I am SOL. Can't afford the better phones, they all seem to cost so much.

Last edited by booklover6; 11-07-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
I wouldn't count on it. While I was able to move the app to the ext sdcard, it still downloads to the internal storage. I manually moved the book from internal to external storage. It works until you play it back - thet chapter by chapter scribd copies it back to internal storage - presumable for buffering reasons. Why it can't play it back from external is beyond me. There is no option either to select storage location.

Another thing that is weird - deleting book from library does not automatically delete the downloaded version in the app.

I have the same with my G running 4.4.4. Kindle app I can put on SD card, but when I checked after downloading some audio through kindle unlimited, it put those on the device storage, not sd card. Audible it seems to put both the app and the books on the sd card. Scribd wants to stay on device storage.
I put in a 32 GB SD card in mine, but if most can't be put on it, there wasn't much point in it. I didn't know that though. But since I don't keep a million songs on my device, or a bunch of books, I should be ok with the available device space. I think its 5.3 or some thing out of 8.

So it might be a good idea to look for android phones with internal storage.

Not sure what I am going to put on my SD card. Could have gotten a smaller one. . I try to move any apps that allow it over just in case.